U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2016, 01:48 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Drummer View Post
Does anybody know what the plans are for the theater beside winslows? I've heard rumors that folks have been in contact with the people who run The Lincoln in Raleigh. It looks like a perfect venue from the outside, and I would love to see the inside.
Just awarded an asbestos removal, etc...contract.

See attached document...if you scroll down, you will get to interior pics.

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=10523

Definitely a few years away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 07:00 AM

112 posts, read 102,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Just awarded an asbestos removal, etc...contract.

See attached document...if you scroll down, you will get to interior pics.

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=10523

Definitely a few years away.
Oh wow... yeah I would say so. I didn't realize it was so rough in there. Thank you for the link!

Old 04-25-2016, 10:13 AM

293 posts, read 270,529 times
I was in town this weekend and drove down Dickinson. Work is being done on the formerly Cabinets Plus buildings, beside the Greenville Times. Looked like roofing and the interior was gutted.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:40 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,002,816 times
Info from the DR about the new PGV airport director.

Quote:
The head of Indiana’s second-largest airport will be taking flight to North Carolina to become executive director of the Pitt-Greenville Airport.

The Pitt-Greenville Airport Authority on Monday announced that Betty Stansbury, airport director at Purdue University Airport, was hired to replace Jerry Vickers, who is retiring July 1. Stansbury will join the airport staff on June 1 and work with Vickers, PGV executive director since 2009, during her first month on the job.

“We usually have 30 days to act as a transition period,” Vickers said Monday. ”That’s what they did when I first started. Then I’m probably heading back to Jacksonville to retire and hopefully play a lot of golf.”

Stansbury earned a bachelor’s degree in aviation management from the Florida Institute of Technology and holds accreditation as an airport executive by the American Association of Airport Executives. She has more than 30 years of experience managing airports, from small general aviation airports to a large international hub airport.

Stansbury has been director at Purdue University Airport since 2000. The airport is only one of 13 university-owned airports in the United States and is the second-busiest airport in Indiana.

“I am honored to have been selected as the next executive director for the airport,” Stansbury said. ”I’m pretty excited. It’s a beautiful facility.”

John Banks, chairman of the Pitt-Greenville Airport Authority, said Stansbury was one of 25 applicants who applied for the position.

“Betty was unanimously chosen as the top candidate and will bring a broad range of airport management skills and experience to PGV,” Banks said.

Stansbury said Greenville’s location was something that drew her to the position.

“The location is a large part of the appeal,” she said in a telephone interview Monday afternoon. ”I was looking at coastal areas in North Carolina and South Carolina for somewhere to eventually retire.

“When I saw Greenville, I thought, ’What a wonderful place to finish my career.’”

Stansbury said she also liked that Greenville is a college town like West Lafayette, home of Purdue University.

“There are a lot of the same synergies and dynamics in Greenville that there are here,” she said.

Stansbury said she will bring both short-range and long-range goals to her new position.

“I will be working with the board to develop one-year, five-year and 10-year goals,” she said. “I also will be meeting with the community and seeing what their expectations are for the airport.

“I look forward to working with the board, staff and community to guide the airport through the opportunities and challenges ahead and to grow its contribution to the economic vitality of the region,” Stansbury said.

Old 04-26-2016, 06:57 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,165 times
she can start by getting a professional website developed.

wwwflypgvcom

The current website looks like my 7 year old just started playing with Wix & made it in an hour. It's embarrassing.

Old 04-26-2016, 07:26 AM

Have always felt that PGV needed to take advantage of its coastal location and the fact that the Outer Banks does not have commercial service. If it can facilitate packages to the Outer Banks (air, rental car, lodging deals), it could probably entice an airline that specializes in that. Flying into Norfolk and driving to the Outer Banks is a real pain (lots of traffic), whereas flying into Greenville and driving to the Outer Banks is relatively easy (no traffic).

Since Allegiant doesn't have access into Norfolk, I would be on the horn to them and trying to facilitate this...I would also re-brand into the Inner Banks Airport away from PGV because of the constant confusion over Greenville SC. This would show you serving Washington/Edenton/Manteo, etc...Allegiant could set up flights every week from Baltimore to get folks to the Outer Banks.

At this point PGV only has 4 flights a day...Coastal in New Bern has 7, Wilmington has 12. That cheap service would also allow college kids to travel more frequently in and out of Greenville.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:10 AM

109 posts, read 103,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Have always felt that PGV needed to take advantage of its coastal location and the fact that the Outer Banks does not have commercial service. If it can facilitate packages to the Outer Banks (air, rental car, lodging deals), it could probably entice an airline that specializes in that. Flying into Norfolk and driving to the Outer Banks is a real pain (lots of traffic), whereas flying into Greenville and driving to the Outer Banks is relatively easy (no traffic).

Since Allegiant doesn't have access into Norfolk, I would be on the horn to them and trying to facilitate this...I would also re-brand into the Inner Banks Airport away from PGV because of the constant confusion over Greenville SC. This would show you serving Washington/Edenton/Manteo, etc...Allegiant could set up flights every week from Baltimore to get folks to the Outer Banks.

At this point PGV only has 4 flights a day...Coastal in New Bern has 7, Wilmington has 12. That cheap service would also allow college kids to travel more frequently in and out of Greenville.
New Bern is really probably the most convenient to OBX around. It's also 30 minutes from touchdown to the beach. PGV can't compete with that.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPirate View Post
New Bern is really probably the most convenient to OBX around. It's also 30 minutes from touchdown to the beach. PGV can't compete with that.
No they aren't...It is much easier to get to Swan Quarter (ferry to Ocracoke) from PGV than Coastal in NB. It is also much easier to get to Manteo from Greenville via 11/64 than to take 17 north from New Bern.

Coastal serves the Crystal Coast...I'm talking about the Outer Banks, which is currently served by Norfolk or people fly into Raleigh and take 64. Greenville has not looked in that direction and should, because there are a ton of out of staters that go to the Outer Banks in the summer and the logistics of getting there are hard.

Old 04-26-2016, 11:36 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,002,816 times
Yea i hear you. But I wouldn't consider Greenville a "coastal" location at all either. It's still about 2 hours and 15 minutes from Greenville to Nags Head, and right around 3 hours from Raleigh to nags head. Also, rates are cheaper in Raleigh, so someone from Baltimore could easily buy a ticket for $80-$100 less from RDU and drive a tad bit longer to get to Nags Head. Even flying into Norfolk and driving an alternate route to get to US 64 (to avoid traffic on 158) would be a cheaper option.

It's sad that one of this state's most profitable tourist areas (beaches) have such poor ways to get to and from them.

If Greenville was where Williamston or Plymouth is, there would be a more feasible option to go after Outer Banks traffic like you're referring to, IMO. But Allegiant air does sound like a good airline to go after. From what I've seen, they are mostly in secondary airports/markets near or outside of major cities.

On a side note, since US 17 will be upgraded to interstate, there should a toll road that connects that new interstate North of Edenton to US 64 west of Creswell. I think this would definitely pay for itself by being a pretty good option to alleviate that VA traffic on 158.

Last edited by michealbond; 04-26-2016 at 12:02 PM..

Old 04-26-2016, 11:43 AM

3,321 posts, read 5,183,240 times
Our new Chancellor will be revealed tomorrow. They have some big dag on shoes to fill.

Quote:
The University of North Carolina Board of Governors will meet in Chapel Hill on Wednesday to consider appointing ECU’s next chancellor.

The meeting will be held at 1:30 p.m. in the board room of the Spangler Center. According to the tentative agenda, BOG members will go into closed session after taking roll to discuss the person UNC System President Margaret Spellings nominates for the position. They will then discuss and possibly vote on the candidate in open session.

Spellings will choose a finalist from among three candidates recommended to her by the ECU Board of Trustees.

The search process began in October when ECU announced the formation of the statutorily required Chancellor Search Committee and a second group, the Leadership Working Group, which worked to develop the profile for the position.

After holding several public meetings and forums to discuss the criteria for the candidates, the committee met in closed session twice to consider candidates. The top three candidates were presumably voted on during closed session in a special-called meeting of the Board of Trustees on March 28 and sent to Spellings.

Chancellor Steve Ballard will step down July 1.
- Daily Reflector
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina