U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2016, 11:47 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,195,071 times

Advertisements

Former Georgia senator Cecil Staton is expected to be named the next chancellor of ECU. Official vote and announcement tomorrow

From Wikipedia:

Born in Greenville, South Carolina
Graduated from Furman University
Earned Master of Divinity with Languages (1982) and Master of Theology (1985) degrees from Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary
Earned a DPhil from University of Oxford (Regent's Park College, Oxford) in 1988

Professor at Brewton-Parker College in Georgia from 1989 through 1991
At Mercer University for more than eleven years, as Associate Provost, Associate Professor, and Publisher of the Mercer University Press

He was a Georgia STATE Senator, not US senator

Interim President of Valdosta State University

https://ballotpedia.org/Cecil_Staton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 11:54 AM

My initial thought is underwhelmed at this hire.

Old 04-26-2016, 12:04 PM

839 posts, read 1,041,312 times
At least he's from the South, I think it's a pretty solid hire based on the finalists.

Last edited by jpirate; 04-26-2016 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: w

Old 04-26-2016, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
At least he's from the South, I think it's a pretty solid hire based on the finalists.
That doesn't say much about the finalists, ha.

I remember not feeling blown away when Ballard was announced, but he has been more than excellant.

I just have no faith in the current BOG, and there is a faint wiff of partisanship in this hire.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:22 PM

1,070 posts, read 988,879 times
I agree that it's better to have someone from the south. Too many yankees involved in ECU. I don't mean that tongue-in-cheek, either; I mean it as a lifelong resident of Greenville.

He seems to be a good friend of medicine/healthcare. That's a plus for ECU.

Old 04-26-2016, 01:49 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,007,124 times
Sorry to hijack, but this could indirectly affect Greenville: Fayetteville may get a new minor league baseball team.

Quote:
The owner of the Houston Astros toured Fayetteville on Monday to consider bringing a minor league baseball team here.

Astros owner Jim Crane had a private lunch at Luigi's Italian Restaurant with two city officials and the area's industrial recruiter. His visit was not publicized.

Crane said he was here to have preliminary discussions and to scout the area.

"We just flew over to talk with local officials and look around and see what the possibility is of getting a minor league stadium here," Crane said.

Crane said he was hoping to have a stadium built by the 2018 season.

"There's no movement yet," Crane said. "Just discussions."

The city of Fayetteville has been acquiring about 15 acres on the southern end of Murchison Road near downtown for a possible minor league baseball stadium. the city has hired a trio of consultants for a combined cost of $130,000 to study the economic feasibility of such a stadium, which likely would include private and public funding. City officials said in January their report would be due in June.

Crane said he and his entourage were going after lunch to Fort Bragg to inspect a ballpark under construction that will be the site of a televised game between the Atlanta Braves and Miami Marlins on July 3.

Crane said he liked what he saw in Fayetteville.

"Downtown is very nice," Crane said. "The city is growing, and Fort Bragg is thriving. It looks like it could be a great spot for a minor league team."

City officials over the past year have flown to other cities to tour minor league stadiums. While in Nashville, Tennessee, in December, Fayetteville officials met with top executives of Minor League Baseball, the organization that operates in conjunction with the commissioner's office of Major League Baseball.
Fayetteville currently has a Coastal Plains league that would more than likely relocate. Another chance for Greenville to get a foot in the door by getting a stadium deal started for a coastal plains league team. Otherwise, it would be another chance for Kinston to grab a coastal plains team (If their minor league deal continues to fall through).

Say what you want about Fayetteville, they are trying to make the city better and have the population to support this type of thing. Good luck to them if it can help Greenville get something going on this front.

Old 04-26-2016, 02:18 PM

294 posts, read 272,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Sorry to hijack, but this could indirectly affect Greenville: Fayetteville may get a new minor league baseball team.

Fayetteville currently has a Coastal Plains league that would more than likely relocate. Another chance for Greenville to get a foot in the door by getting a stadium deal started for a coastal plains league team. Otherwise, it would be another chance for Kinston to grab a coastal plains team (If their minor league deal continues to fall through).

Say what you want about Fayetteville, they are trying to make the city better and have the population to support this type of thing. Good luck to them if it can help Greenville get something going on this front.
I wish Greenville had movement on a minor league team, but if not or in the meantime, a coastal plains team would be great. Send it to Mayor Thomas. Make sure someone knows.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:13 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,007,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I wish Greenville had movement on a minor league team, but if not or in the meantime, a coastal plains team would be great. Send it to Mayor Thomas. Make sure someone knows.
Done.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I feel like Guy Smith Park could be a perfect temporary baseball location if we needed something quick. Going on the assumption that a better ballpark would get built uptown.

Old 04-26-2016, 05:55 PM

137 posts, read 141,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I agree that it's better to have someone from the south. Too many yankees involved in ECU. I don't mean that tongue-in-cheek, either; I mean it as a lifelong resident of Greenville.

He seems to be a good friend of medicine/healthcare. That's a plus for ECU.
ECU's best Chancellors have been from the north. Leo Jenkins was from New Jersey, Richard Eakin is from Pennsylvania, and Steve Ballard is from Illinois. Muse and Brewer were from the south and they were probably our worst, at least since East Carolina has been a university. So, I'm not putting in stock in this guy being good just because he's from the south. I hope he will be good, though. ECU can't afford another Muse.

BTW, I'm from eastern NC and Leo will always be my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina