U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 01:57 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,109,175 times

Advertisements

DOT rejects Walmart traffic plan
(requires a subscription)

How common is this type of thing...is it just a minor stumbling block, or a major setback?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 03:30 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,189,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
DOT rejects Walmart traffic plan
(requires a subscription)

How common is this type of thing...is it just a minor stumbling block, or a major setback?
Without looking up anything, I would say it isn't common. I am usually all for economic development, but you gotta love it when the concerns of the citizens are seen through. Tenth Street is ready to boom all the way to Simpson. Hopefully it will receive smart growth.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:32 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,189,357 times
A little snip, the road in front of the hospital is receiving a separated medium. I assume to help with traffic control, pedestrian protection and general beautifying.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:02 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,045,486 times
Quote:
It's very, very common. Walmart wants to install a traffic light on 33 and the state says they don't need one. Hmmm... Sounds like a no brainer there. There's $200,000 saved. The state wants Walmart to do some improvements on Portertown Rd. It's no big deal and is actually relatively minor.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:19 PM

Wow! I just got finished looking at the PDF for the Walmart. If this shopping center is built like the other ones I've seen the last few years this is going to be nice. Greenville lacks an actual "destination" shopping center. In that I mean you have to drive all over the city to buy different things and meet up with people. In addition to the Walmart there are plans to put a smaller strip in with 19 small spaces and 1 larger space along with 6 or so out parcels. This same developer has also bought the property across 33 from the new Walmart and has already gotten a portion of it rezoned in their favor.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:34 AM

208 posts, read 325,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Wow! I just got finished looking at the PDF for the Walmart. If this shopping center is built like the other ones I've seen the last few years this is going to be nice. Greenville lacks an actual "destination" shopping center. In that I mean you have to drive all over the city to buy different things and meet up with people. In addition to the Walmart there are plans to put a smaller strip in with 19 small spaces and 1 larger space along with 6 or so out parcels. This same developer has also bought the property across 33 from the new Walmart and has already gotten a portion of it rezoned in their favor.
This is not something where walmart would just cancel the whole project over a traffic light right? I hope not.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:46 AM

1,256 posts, read 2,109,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's very, very common. Walmart wants to install a traffic light on 33 and the state says they don't need one. Hmmm... Sounds like a no brainer there. There's $200,000 saved. The state wants Walmart to do some improvements on Portertown Rd. It's no big deal and is actually relatively minor.
I think they're going to need a light at the east end of Firetower, where it meets Portertown. It can be pretty backed up anyway, and I imagine a lot of people will be traveling through that area to get to the new Walmart.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
I think they're going to need a light at the east end of Firetower, where it meets Portertown. It can be pretty backed up anyway, and I imagine a lot of people will be traveling through that area to get to the new Walmart.
The article in the paper made it sound like they were minor improvements right at the Walmart entrance on Portertown Rd.

Old 01-30-2011, 03:28 PM

105 posts, read 145,711 times
Firetower & Portertown roads have already been surveyed in preparation for installing a roundabout, so there are no present plans to install traffic lights. I agree, they should install traffic lights with the volume of traffic at that intersection & it will be greatly increased with a new Walmart. The state's debate about the traffic light on 33 is that it is too close to the present light. Walmart's second option is to try & place a light near the east end of their property instead of in the middle, which would put the main entrance near the back of the new store. Ever seen a Walmart on a main thoroughfare that didn't have a stop light at one of their entrances. It would be a real traffic nightmare! I wouldn't be surprised if this developer doesn't just say to heck with it and bails out completely. Just like the developer that planned to demolish and redo Carolina East Mall property with a bigger Sears and also build a Dillard's anchored shopping center near the Carmike. They had a real hassel & lawsuits with the purchase of Carolina East Mall and eventually bailed out completely.

Last edited by Cityadvocate; 01-30-2011 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: add/alter info

Old 01-31-2011, 03:43 AM

To help some of us newcomers to the area understand the phenominal growth that Greenville has seen there are some city maps on the ECU website from various years. It's hard to tell which decade has had the most growth but it has been going to town since at least the 1960's.

The Daily Reflector Image Collection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina