U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-29-2016, 11:23 AM
 
294 posts, read 271,822 times
Reputation: 64

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
East of town common flooded in 1999. The greenway is now where there used to be a street.
Quite right, I totally blanked on the tar river apartments area flooding terribly. Did west Greenville flood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-29-2016, 12:43 PM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
1,070 posts, read 987,206 times
Reputation: 591
I think that area was okay. The credit union and lot where Firsr Street Place is now did not. I'm not sure about Moyewood area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2016, 01:10 PM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,191,638 times
Reputation: 2359
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Quite right, I totally blanked on the tar river apartments area flooding terribly. Did west Greenville flood?
I don't think you will see expansion of Downtown towards West Greenville, because of the gentrification politics that would come into effect with that neighborhood population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 10:38 AM
 
294 posts, read 271,822 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I don't think you will see expansion of Downtown towards West Greenville, because of the gentrification politics that would come into effect with that neighborhood population.
Really? That hasn't stopped the development of downtown Wilmington of Durham which were areas very similar to west Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 01:53 PM
 
181 posts, read 185,464 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Really? That hasn't stopped the development of downtown Wilmington of Durham which were areas very similar to west Greenville.
I just don't think it's a priority at this point. The difference in this case between Wilmington/Durham and Greenville is available real estate opportunities.

Greenville has a CBD that is full of empty lots and buildings in need of rehab at incredibly low land prices when put into perspective. Wilmington and Durham don't have that same problem (or opportunity, depending on how you look at it), and both cities are probably 25 years ahead of Greenville in that area.

I think strategically it'll take a long time before any high-level development happens west of Greene St. in the 45 block revitalization area. Stuff will get built, but it'll be modest.

Dickinson Ave. and Center City will have to fill up first in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2016, 08:28 PM
 
1,674 posts, read 2,044,063 times
Reputation: 1074
Rangers Have Lease Deal In Place With Kinston - BaseballAmerica.com

If the Texas Rangers can arrange for a team to be relocated to Kinston before next season, they've committed to a twelve year stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2016, 06:24 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
839 posts, read 1,040,664 times
Reputation: 176
When Kinston had a team - where did the players typically live..in Kinston or another city. I'd be commuting...that is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2016, 07:19 AM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,365,960 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Rangers Have Lease Deal In Place With Kinston - BaseballAmerica.com

If the Texas Rangers can arrange for a team to be relocated to Kinston before next season, they've committed to a twelve year stay.
That article is very interesting...really shows the moving parts and how cities are pitted against each other....which was previously referenced in this thread.

So, if Fayetteville commits to building a stadium and Kinston commits to spending almost $2 million on theirs, then each will get a minor league team....and two California communities will lose theirs. And last year Binghamton NY was set to lose theirs. And the lease is for 12 years. After that, its up in the air and the owners will have their hand out.

That being said...for Kinston, this is important. The idea of revitalizing that area around the stadium (which lost Salt Wood products a few years back) is a sound idea. And it will take money. They have done a better job in the past 7-8 years with removing blighted structures as well as creating a nearby community garden and sprucing up the streetscape. Baseball in Kinston is part of its identity and they have an investment in place. Its important to that community

For Greenville, it has other priorities than minor league baseball. Its community is based around the college and downtown revitalization is the number one issue. It doesn't need baseball to revitalize downtown...it needs facilities. It needs to get back its music scene...and when bands like Parmalee are born out of the Greenville area, it shows the potential it has. The City has made no investment so far in this...until it gets its theater fixed. This should be the discussion Greenville is having, how to foster its cultural arts community, downtown...and start with its music scene because of the available talent ECU brings in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2016, 07:19 AM
 
Location: Danville, VA
4,669 posts, read 3,063,374 times
Reputation: 2929
A public hearing on red light cameras was held yesterday. Surprisingly, the majority supports them.

Public hearing on red light cameras in Greenville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2016, 07:54 AM
 
294 posts, read 271,822 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
I just don't think it's a priority at this point. The difference in this case between Wilmington/Durham and Greenville is available real estate opportunities.

Greenville has a CBD that is full of empty lots and buildings in need of rehab at incredibly low land prices when put into perspective. Wilmington and Durham don't have that same problem (or opportunity, depending on how you look at it), and both cities are probably 25 years ahead of Greenville in that area.

I think strategically it'll take a long time before any high-level development happens west of Greene St. in the 45 block revitalization area. Stuff will get built, but it'll be modest.

Dickinson Ave. and Center City will have to fill up first in my opinion.
I was merely asking if it was possible given the flood plane, history etc. Could the river front in West Greenville be developed. IMO Town Common is a great use of the river front, but still a stunted use of this resource. More river frontage could be as much an attraction and economic driver as any Performing arts or stadium might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top