U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2016, 03:50 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,379,661 times

Advertisements

I have a different take on the long term problem with Uptown Greenville restaurants (specifically locally owned).

As someone who watched a place like CPW's evolve....what evolved was the setting. What was there from the start was the FOOD.

Look at B's...no one cares about the building, all they care about is what they are eating,

Too many entrepreneurs are so focused on the environment, that they forget what they are selling...if you have bad food, people won't come BACK. And word of mouth is a huge thing...people talk and if the food is not good or it is overpriced, people wont show up.

There also can be a price point and time issue with college students...when Char Grill move on to 10th St a long time back, they tried to sell $6 hamburgers and make you wait for them....two doors down from McDonalds. College students aren't going to spend $6 for a hamburger, even if it is better....and sit around and wait while it is being cooked.

The secret is have good food and have a variety on the menu for the folks that have little money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 08:32 AM

294 posts, read 273,534 times
I think Fitzgerald's was just a hair too early. They were a restaurant and bar and there wasn't enough traffic to keep them afloat yet. As more residents move into the area there are more bodies around to eat and not just coming in at night to drink.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:32 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,203,717 times
Quote:
Country music artist Eric Church will headline an Aug. 20 concert inside ECU's Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium

Old 05-05-2016, 09:42 AM

1,075 posts, read 994,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I have a different take on the long term problem with Uptown Greenville restaurants (specifically locally owned).

As someone who watched a place like CPW's evolve....what evolved was the setting. What was there from the start was the FOOD.

Look at B's...no one cares about the building, all they care about is what they are eating,

Too many entrepreneurs are so focused on the environment, that they forget what they are selling...if you have bad food, people won't come BACK. And word of mouth is a huge thing...people talk and if the food is not good or it is overpriced, people wont show up.

There also can be a price point and time issue with college students...when Char Grill move on to 10th St a long time back, they tried to sell $6 hamburgers and make you wait for them....two doors down from McDonalds. College students aren't going to spend $6 for a hamburger, even if it is better....and sit around and wait while it is being cooked.

The secret is have good food and have a variety on the menu for the folks that have little money.
But the people who want cheap food are college students... and then you are back where you started.

That place next to Dickinson Ave Public House (I think? or is DAPH the restaurant?) has high prices compared to a lot of other places. Along with the location, that keeps the bad crowd out.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:48 AM

841 posts, read 1,043,291 times
Quote:
I think Fitzgerald's was just a hair too early. They were a restaurant and bar and there wasn't enough traffic to keep them afloat yet. As more residents move into the area there are more bodies around to eat and not just coming in at night to drink.
This & them being in trouble with underage drinking probably didn't help either. I really liked Fitzgeralds the couple of times I went at lunch...but it was always fairly dead when I was in there. If the existing restaurants & businesses can hold ground for another couple of years I think their daytime business will see an uptick once the other 2 apartment complexes are in place, the ECU student services building is in place, the Trillium employees being down there...the list goes one. It's still a bumpy ride right now during the day...it is certainly a lot better than it was say 5 years ago, but the Boundary has only helped so much being on the outskirts of the uptown area.

Old 05-06-2016, 06:18 AM

20 posts, read 29,501 times
Off the current topic, but I think very relevant to our interests is the road safety in Greenville. When is the city/county going to address the clear and obvious issues on some of our main roads? For example, last night ANOTHER person was killed on Arlington near Red Banks.

Pedestrian hit by car in Greenville dies

How can they continue to ignore the fact that Arlington from Memorial to Firetower is extraordinarily dangerous? I've lived in Turtle Creek for 8 years, and the amount of vehicle related deaths just yards away is crazy. I'm very glad they put up a light at Whitley on Firetower, but that's hardly the worst hit spot.

Pitt County Ranked Most Dangerous For Collisions Statewide

The article above very likely remains relevant, despite its now 3 year age.

Vent over.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:54 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,203,717 times
Moss Landing Harbor Homes in Washington made a recruitment? video on Greenville that is pretty cool.

https://vimeo.com/163856633

Old 05-08-2016, 07:10 PM

138 posts, read 141,725 times
Two excavators arrived at the ECU main campus student union site last week. Maybe they're finally about to get started!?

Old 05-08-2016, 07:16 PM

841 posts, read 1,043,291 times
Don't worry, they'll just sit there for the next two weeks while the workers drive their big ass pickup trucks around watching the grass grow ��

Old 05-09-2016, 07:32 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,379,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
Two excavators arrived at the ECU main campus student union site last week. Maybe they're finally about to get started!?
I'm sure they are waiting until after graduation to really get things going...lots less going on in the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina