U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 10:58 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times

Advertisements

I keep thinking of the road closure "concerns" a councilperson brought up when the Taft Ward development was proposed. Yeah let's stop a $40 million project because you have concerns about a road the City didn't need.

Some of the council are still small minded....please stop worrying about 1) whether or not EVERYONE on council agrees and 2) whether or not some person or persons object to something (like cops having to walk a few blocks to get to their car).

Big picture...please think big picture. Get out of the way councilpeople....and Greenville can take off. Stop over analyzing stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 01:25 PM

181 posts, read 185,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
The Reflector has some interesting info from last night's meeting as well.

- Daily Reflector

This. would. be. huge.

I can think of only one "well known" brewery with a rooftop bar/terrace in Chapel Hill and that's Top of the Hill. If that's the case, that would be amazing. Either way the city should not mess this up. The city should just purchase a the site, build a parking deck on a portion of it and either sell it for development or enter a public-private partnership with the unused portion.
My thoughts exactly...you can save quite a bit of land by making these vertical parking structures...oh, what are those things called again?

If the city really owns 9 acres, build a parking garage, and sell of the rest of the land to private developers to fund it.

In regards to Topo potentially coming to Greenville:

Old 05-25-2016, 08:10 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,308,885 times
I left Greenville in 2012. Can someone give a quick rundown of the major improvements in town since I left?

I heard about the Walmart on 10th street, and the addition of a parking garage downtown. What else?

Old 05-25-2016, 09:17 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I left Greenville in 2012. Can someone give a quick rundown of the major improvements in town since I left?

I heard about the Walmart on 10th street, and the addition of a parking garage downtown. What else?
Dude, just read through this thread. Then make a post of what you found out. Don't make people do your grunt work.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:23 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,308,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Dude, just read through this thread. Then make a post of what you found out. Don't make people do your grunt work.
Not everyone has time to read through hundreds of pages. Someone who has lived in Greenville since 2012 would be able to easily list a few additions or improvements to the area in just a few minutes.

Old 05-26-2016, 05:36 AM

4,634 posts, read 3,044,259 times
Not directly Greenville related, but I think Greenville would stand to gain (US-264 to Zebulon notwithstanding) if it were connected to these two corridors with an interstate spur (ex: I-287 from Bethel to Kinston). Greenville would be at the center and have Interstate access to Hampton Roads and the TransPark (yeah, I know ) and the Port at Morehead City. IMO though, US-264 from Stantonsburg Road to US-64/Future I-87 in Zebulon should be designated first, since it wouldn't take much work to upgrade US-264 to Interstate standards, I believe.

I-42, I-87 designated to run through Eastern North Carolina

Old 05-26-2016, 07:02 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,004,031 times
I think connecting the two interstates through Greenville makes complete sense and Greenville should push HARD for that to happen. I'd even love to see the potential interstate go from Kinston down to connect with i-40 near Wallace. That would give Norfolk and Greenville an easier route to Wilmington, and take care of pretty much all of the major interstate highway needs in Eastern NC.

I think it will be longer before 264 is even considered for interstate status.I think Greenville would be better served in trying to get a short spur from Bethel to Greenville (let's call it 287) connecting with the current and future SW Bypass and down to Kinston.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:02 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times
264 is in much better shape than 11 right now...you would need a major interchange at the northern bypass in Greenville...and then a new road by A-G high school....11 just wasn't built that way.

264 is. I would think now that I-87 replaces 64...there is no reason I-287 cant replace 264. I-287 would connect to I-87 in Zebulon...and it would lead to a Major city in Greenville...and it can meet Interstate standards fairly easily.

I do like the idea of converting 11 to Interstate standards...would think you could connect to I-42 in Kinston, follow that to the New Bern bypass and then follow that to Jacksonville and Wilmington to connect to I-140 there.

Old 05-26-2016, 12:33 PM

109 posts, read 104,082 times
Has there been any update on the hotel going downtown?

Old 05-26-2016, 12:55 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I think connecting the two interstates through Greenville makes complete sense and Greenville should push HARD for that to happen. I'd even love to see the potential interstate go from Kinston down to connect with i-40 near Wallace. That would give Norfolk and Greenville an easier route to Wilmington, and take care of pretty much all of the major interstate highway needs in Eastern NC.

I think it will be longer before 264 is even considered for interstate status.I think Greenville would be better served in trying to get a short spur from Bethel to Greenville (let's call it 287) connecting with the current and future SW Bypass and down to Kinston.
I-795 is currently being extended to I-40 near Faison. I just don't see a need to go from Kinston to I-40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina