U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2016, 10:55 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,044,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I don't know if it's finished or not but one was being built next to the fire station on 15th street, right by the intersection with 264. Behind Food Lion, across from Hampton Inn.
Thanks. The video showed wood framing bookended by steel(?) stairwells, looks like maybe three stories high. They're nowhere near being finished. I'm surprised I haven't noticed this because I go to Washington every few weeks, then again I usually shoot straight through, turn down Hackney and then Main. Washington's downtown, though limited, is nice. Main St. would be good place for a boutique hotel, preferably with waterfront views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 11:11 AM

181 posts, read 185,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I haven't been able to figure out what brand of hotel they are building across from the Hampton in Washington or what brand of hotel they are building across from the Holiday Inn Express in Greenville.

The one in Greenville looks similar to the new Comfort Suites in James City...so maybe its that...there is no Comfort Suites in Greenville (there is a Comfort Inn in Winterville). The Washington one may be a Holiday Inn Express because that closed down and eventually became the Magnuson a few years back. It wasn't up to Holiday Inn standards.
For some reason I'd heard that the hotel going up on that lot was a Fairfield, but Marriott franchises never build with wood frames anymore like that building is being built.

Who knows. Weird that it's this far into construction no sign has been put up.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:29 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,365,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
For some reason I'd heard that the hotel going up on that lot was a Fairfield, but Marriott franchises never build with wood frames anymore like that building is being built.

Who knows. Weird that it's this far into construction no sign has been put up.
Maybe...seems they would be competing with themselves though. The Courtyard is right around the corner and the new Residence Inn is on the other side of the Hospital. And the Courtyard is older, so why would you build a new Fairfield...would think it would hurt the Courtyard....unless they are planning on selling that Courtyard, which might be the case because its older. Researched rates and Courtyard was $87 a night, Residence at $113. Fairfield's usually want to charge 90-100 a night.

Old 05-27-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Maybe...seems they would be competing with themselves though. The Courtyard is right around the corner and the new Residence Inn is on the other side of the Hospital. And the Courtyard is older, so why would you build a new Fairfield...would think it would hurt the Courtyard....unless they are planning on selling that Courtyard, which might be the case because its older. Researched rates and Courtyard was $87 a night, Residence at $113. Fairfield's usually want to charge 90-100 a night.
Well remember the vast majority of Marriott properties are franchised. But either way, I doubt it's a Mariott or Hilton property, neither of those chains build wood framed buildings anymore.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:06 PM

1,070 posts, read 987,206 times
I stay in Courtyards a lot. The one here is really old and worn out and needs to be replaced. It reminds me of the Charlotte Arrowwood road CY which is usually $67/night.

Thing is, it's a prime spot. It would almost be better to knock it down and rebuild.

Also, I don't think Marriott cares about proximity. I went back and forth between a CY and Springhill Suites in Chesapeake that were only a couple blocks from one another. I just switched based on price or availability. I think they had the same owner, actually.

Old 05-27-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I stay in Courtyards a lot. The one here is really old and worn out and needs to be replaced. It reminds me of the Charlotte Arrowwood road CY which is usually $67/night.

Thing is, it's a prime spot. It would almost be better to knock it down and rebuild.

Also, I don't think Marriott cares about proximity. I went back and forth between a CY and Springhill Suites in Chesapeake that were only a couple blocks from one another. I just switched based on price or availability. I think they had the same owner, actually.
That's correct, a lot of times you'll see their properties built right next to each other or even combine two brands into 1 building. They kind of view their different branded properties as providing completely different offerings, and so Marriott actually prefers to have multiple franchise properties within close proximity to each other.

Courtyards are for business travel with the full-service restaurant/bar/starbucks, while Fairfields typically offer less amenities -- typically just a continental breakfast by comparison.

Crabtree in Raleigh has a full service Marriott and I think a Residence on the same plot of land, and downtown Richmond, VA has a Courtyard/Residence Inn that share the same building.

I used to be in that business, still try to keep up with it as best I can

Old 06-01-2016, 02:18 PM

839 posts, read 1,040,664 times
Kid Rock has been announced as the opening act for the Carolina Kickoff.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:29 PM

1,070 posts, read 987,206 times
I had to google what that was. I have never heard of the Carolina Kickoff.

Shouldn't Kid Rock have headlined something for freshmen...like...in 1998? I mean, they play that song that samples Sweet Home Alabama on classic rock stations.

edit: wait I don't think I found the right Carolina Kickoff. There's another one further down the google results.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:57 PM

153 posts, read 186,988 times
Default Greenville since 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Not everyone has time to read through hundreds of pages. Someone who has lived in Greenville since 2012 would be able to easily list a few additions or improvements to the area in just a few minutes.
Hey Lepoisson. I also can't fathom why it's so hard to outline a few of the big things since 2012. I'll give it my shot - many of these are in process or slated to start as well.

1. The Boundary - upscale student housing where the old Georgetown apts were. This is open.
2. New parking deck downtown (you mentioned).
3. Dickinson Ave off downtown is being developed including:
  • Dickinson Ave Public House - restaurant / pub
  • Trollingwood - Tap Room & Brewery
  • GoScience - interactive science museum
4. New Air U indoor trampoline park - on Corey Rd close to EC Cats.
5. Hobby Lobby just opened.
6. Redsign plans under way for Town Common
7. Old Bank Of America building and block purchased for new Boundary - West student housing (luxury)
8. New Student Center where the old Baptist Student Union and Wendys were on 10th street.
9. New group of businesses across from PCC including Starbucks, Chipotle, and...forget the other
10. Renovation of ECU Press Box and South Side just announced.
11. Major hotel to build downtown.
12. Old Theater downtown next to Winslows is being renovated.

That's tip of the ice berg. Hope it helps some.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:05 PM

Quote:
I had to google what that was. I have never heard of the Carolina Kickoff.

Shouldn't Kid Rock have headlined something for freshmen...like...in 1998? I mean, they play that song that samples Sweet Home Alabama on classic rock stations.

edit: wait I don't think I found the right Carolina Kickoff. There's another one further down the google results.
Well he isn't headlining...he's opening for Eric Church

And yeah, Carolina Kickoff is a stupid name for this -- ECU'ers are upset of course that it isn't being called East Carolina Kickoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina