U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2016, 09:22 AM

230 posts, read 206,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
The renovation and development of the Kmart shopping center could have a very positive affect on the mall too. Its been mentioned here that something like north hills would be really great for the area. I've always thought that removing the light on Gville Blvd between the mall and kmart would be a good idea. I wonder if a pedestrian tunnel could be created to connect the two areas and increase foot traffic between them. Something like this:
Considering that it's Greenville Blvd. That will be a very daunting task. Not to mention if you want a North Hills feel, then the mall will need major improvements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 09:27 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,378,696 times
There was a mention previously about EC Pho moving as well.

Are they going to tear down the whole thing and start over? I had assumed that the existing buildings were going to be modified.

If they are doing a tear down, I hope they are looking at the entire complex and re-doing it.

I agree with removing the light at the mall, the lights are just too close to each other at Charles and Arlington...why not have a median between the intersections with left turn lanes to turn into each shopping center. And then add pedestrian crossings at both Charles and Arlington.

Love the fence on 10th St to control pedestrian traffic and adding medians. Will make ECU look and feel differently. Be a more controlled environment than the hodge-podge mess it has been.

Old 06-23-2016, 11:31 AM

841 posts, read 1,043,099 times
Link to a drone overhead view of the ECU Student Center construction...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAhI...ature=youtu.be

Also - here is a shot of what the residence hall renovations will look like when completed, they have one side done. The second picture is a comparison of the old & new look...is really going to make a difference & tie into campus much better!

Old 06-23-2016, 12:24 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,010,204 times
HP I think a few of the buildings will remain, but most will be demolished/heavily renovated.

I think a pedestrian bridge may work well. Get rid of the light between Charles and Arlington. Either have only right turns in/out in that section or close it completely

My only thing is that I think it would be constant gridlock if that Publix shopping center became "North Hills". The road capacity isn't there for the amount of traffic that would flock to a North Hills type of area. (It's barely there now). I think it can certainly be a nice shopping center when they're done with it, but let Publix be the anchor for some nicer retail and more restaurants. Trying to have a true mixed use development there would be a nightmare, IMO.

I think a Mayfaire or North Hills development would be good in the large patches of land on East 10th Street near the new Walmart. I think that's the next area that will be booming in the next 10 years. Also, the roadways in that area are bigger and can be expanded easier so that it can handle all of the cars turning into the center.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:33 PM

230 posts, read 206,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
HP I think a few of the buildings will remain, but most will be demolished/heavily renovated.

I think a pedestrian bridge may work well. Get rid of the light between Charles and Arlington. Either have only right turns in/out in that section or close it completely

My only thing is that I think it would be constant gridlock if that Publix shopping center became "North Hills". The road capacity isn't there for the amount of traffic that would flock to a North Hills type of area. (It's barely there now). I think it can certainly be a nice shopping center when they're done with it, but let Publix be the anchor for some nicer retail and more restaurants. Trying to have a true mixed use development there would be a nightmare, IMO.

I think a Mayfaire or North Hills development would be good in the large patches of land on East 10th Street near the new Walmart. I think that's the next area that will be booming in the next 10 years. Also, the roadways in that area are bigger and can be expanded easier so that it can handle all of the cars turning into the center.
I like the idea, but I think it would be better if it was use around S. Memorial Dr. by Winterville here the old East Carolina Mall was at. That part of town is already booming, the roads are there, they're are new stores coming up in that area and there is plenty of land left they could still develop on.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:51 PM

1,075 posts, read 993,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
Quote:
According to Travis Fluitt, a traffic engineer for consulting firm Kimley-Horn, other implementations will take place over the next two years including a a median that runs along most of 10th Street, which would include a fence to discourage pedestrians from crossing except at designated crosswalks.
I think this will be perhaps more useful even than the traffic light. Unfortunate that zoning folks did such a poor job with planning this area. Should have never gotten this bad.
https://goo.gl/maps/Zop7C37k8cw

As an example, it can be done tastefully.

ECU needs a pedestrian bridge at 10th and College Hill so very badly. It would not hurt having a second one close to the new student union as well.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:19 PM

294 posts, read 273,534 times
The Captains Quarters apartment building off of Charles is under contract. Who know what they'll do with it, just passing along info.

Old 06-23-2016, 02:22 PM

82 posts, read 98,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
https://goo.gl/maps/Zop7C37k8cw

As an example, it can be done tastefully.

ECU needs a pedestrian bridge at 10th and College Hill so very badly. It would not hurt having a second one close to the new student union as well.
I'm a senior in the planning program at ECU, so I spend alot of time in the Brewster building; and at peak times, there can be literally 50-75 students trying to cross the street at College Hill Dr at one time. A pedestrian bridge here would be a very wise and well-used development and would help tie north and south campus together.

Old 06-23-2016, 10:52 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,050,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
The Captains Quarters apartment building off of Charles is under contract. Who know what they'll do with it, just passing along info.
Greenville student apartments go into foreclosure amidst concerns

Old 06-24-2016, 04:34 AM

1,075 posts, read 993,624 times
I think Francis was talking about the one on Charles across from Dominos. It has the same name.

But on the former NCC... wow. It is probably destined to become a crime filled housing project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina