U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2011, 08:09 PM

105 posts, read 145,595 times

Advertisements

The area in question for a new police sub-station is the formerly named Tobacco Rd. beside the old Lowes & across Greenville Blvd. Street names on both sides have been given different names because of all the crime associated with Tobacco Rd. When the apartments were first built beside the old Lowes, it was a nice safe area, but over time it has become one of the worst drug/crime infested areas in Greenville. They are discussing hiring more policemen to cut down on the overtime. Would a police presence cut down on the crime, maybe, or would it just move somewhere else. What ideas do any of you have for a solution to the situation in this neighborhood? I'm not sure that just a police presence is really solving the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 09:47 PM

105 posts, read 145,595 times
Have you noticed the similarities between ECU's growth since 1969 and Greenville's since 1970. As ECU's enrollment has about tripled, so has Greenville's population tripled! ECU 1969 9,258 , 2010 27,500 approx. Greenville 1970 29,063 , 2010 87,000 approx. per last estimate. Interesting isn't it? I'm anxious to see what the population will be when the 2010 Census figures are released. Sometimes the estimates are a little high.

Last edited by Cityadvocate; 02-03-2011 at 10:12 PM..

Old 02-04-2011, 01:55 PM

77 posts, read 130,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadvocate View Post
Would a police presence cut down on the crime, maybe, or would it just move somewhere else. What ideas do any of you have for a solution to the situation in this neighborhood? I'm not sure that just a police presence is really solving the problem.
Building a new police station usually worked pretty well in SimCity. It did lessen property values a bit, and changed my high-rises into apartment buildings.

Seriously though, recent transfer to the area. Is the old Lowe's that bluish big box building that's some kind of copy center now? Down the road from the Grande theater? That's a high crime area?

Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,764 times
yeah it does cut crime in simcity lol

but yeah it's a copy place, and it's def one of the worst areas in the city. Kristin drive is in the top 3 worst parts.
in my opinion it's moyewood first, then kp, then kristin drive. All three are bad but moyewood is just crazy. Have you ever drove through there at night? It looks like a totally different neighborhood, you will see people running out of bushes, people walking in LARGE crowds, police lights, & all that. Kirstin drive is just a big drug distrubuting point for the most part.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:46 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,183,240 times
I don't even know where Moyewood is. I had to google Kristin Drive. I think a police station would help though. And I think the city council was asking the police about a cost/benefit when it comes to overtime vs. new officers. From TDR, it sounded like some cops only worked and slept. You need them to have time off to unload. Plus like I said before, our avg cop per person is below the national average.

Old 02-04-2011, 06:49 PM

There is going to be some kind of roadwork on West 5th St between 14th and Memorial. They're gonna close down that portion of the road for a few days. Not sure what. That is the same area that has received all that streetscape.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:58 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,433,764 times
Moyewood is right beside the hospital on 5th street, it surprising how close it is to the hospital.

but I'm sure it's for something positive, I know they're closing Greenville Blvd by Best Buy down to work on the train tracks. They need to because I hate slowing down to almost a hault on that part of the road.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:09 PM

I can't recall if I've mentioned this here, but the Green Mill Run Greenway II is progressing. This will connect with the current Green Mill Run Greenway, which goes from Greensprings Park to Charles Blvd. Phase 2 will start at Charles Blvd and the railroad tracks. It will go south on Charles then cut into Sulgrave Road. Then it will go off the road and snake around the houses around there. It then spur off with ECUs Challenge Course and Blount fields. The main greenway will continue and come out on Evans between Clifton and Deck St. Then it will continue on the sidewalks to Evans Park.

There will be a bridge over a creek that will be around 30-50ft long with another 200ft boardwalk on each side. The total length of this project will be 1.4miles.

The price of the project is a little under $236,000, which the city will pay around $71,000.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM

335 posts, read 358,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Carolina Ale House will have two stores. Second story, IIRC, will be outdoor seating. Outdoor seating would be soo much better downtown, instead of Greenville Blvd. Could you imagine if this was on 1st St, "nearish" to the Tar?
Is it going in the old Pizza Boli's building at the corner of Arlington and Greenville Blvd? That will be no less than the third business there in just a few years. Another cursed location, like that Evans & Reade street building I mentioned a few pages back.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead0043 View Post
Is it going in the old Pizza Boli's building at the corner of Arlington and Greenville Blvd? That will be no less than the third business there in just a few years. Another cursed location, like that Evans & Reade street building I mentioned a few pages back.
No. It is going into the Kirklands, which is a freestanding building, at the mall. IMO, it is a horrible spot. You won't get any decent parking until the mall closes. I'm not gonna drive around 20mins to find a spot to park. Plus it doesn't look large enough for a restaurant.

At least Mellow Mushroom is on the "slow side" of the mall and will have a better parking situation.

I guess I am just disappointed that these didn't go downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina