U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 07:43 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,413 times

Advertisements

I went to the mini golf place over the weekend, that place is great! They really did an outstanding job on the inside design, the staff was very nice & my kid had a blast, so did I. My only thought for the place is their sign outside is terrible. Unless you know its there, it's really impossible to see. They really need a larger more visible sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 AM

225 posts, read 204,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
I don't think most people would want more traffic on Tenth Street since students are already challenged crossing it with the traffic that is already there. The connector will already add to that traffic as will the continued development of the downtown area. Unless the town and university invests in pedestrian bridges or tunnels, it's probably not a good idea.
But ins't that what we want, more traffic to the downtown area? If pedestrians is a worry then NCDOT needs to put out some kind of safety improvements along the route similar to the safety improvements out on Memorial by Hobby Lobby

Speaking of safety improvements there really needs to be some out on Thomas Langston by Food Lion and Burlington Coat Factory. I saw yet another accident there yesterday and its starting to pile up over there. Traffic is starting to become a concern there especially coming out on the Thomas Langston side of Food Lion.

Old 07-13-2016, 10:37 AM

181 posts, read 185,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
Interesting but not surprising IMO. I think Vidant is the better run organization. I also think government run anything is not typically an asset. Again - that is typically. That said, it makes a lot of sense to merge. I was a little surprise Vidant Medical Group was about the same size as ECU Physicians. ECU has more than twice the number of clinics than VMG.
I don't know if you and I talked about this pages back, but the only exception that I can think of to that rule in terms of profitability are state university-run hospitals (aka NOT the VA -- that's a political sh*tshow)

UNC Hospitals is one of the most profitable health care networks in the country. Last year, WakeMed, Wake Forest Baptist, and Vidant all banded together to create a company that increased their buying power -- one of a number of underlying reasons for that was because UNC Hospitals had a stranglehold on parts of their geographic footprints.

Another thing in this specific instance is the state benefits conversation -- who's a state employee, who isn't? Does this now mean that a physician must teach at Brody or do research through ECU in order to gain state benefits? In that case, wouldn't everyone be vying for that position?

Old 07-13-2016, 11:04 AM

137 posts, read 141,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
But ins't that what we want, more traffic to the downtown area?
The idea is to get more pedestrian traffic and less through traffic. That's done through mixed-use development that includes a good amount of residential and attracting people downtown to shop, eat, be entertained, etc. High traffic streets are a deterrent to establishing more pedestrian traffic since they create barriers for pedestrians. Pedestrians are much better for businesses than cars just passing through.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:53 PM

1,069 posts, read 986,823 times

Bus station is gone. What a waste. The new developers should have been required to preserve it or work it into their design.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:43 PM

839 posts, read 1,040,413 times
everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone has their own tastes and preferences when discussing historical buildings and landmarks. With that said, I've always thought that was one ugly building, I am glad it's gone...along with that Pughs station. That era of architecture does nothing for me. Again, just my particular taste, others will certainly disagree.

Bring on the apartments.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:59 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,364,833 times
Here's the thing about the bus station.

It wasn't a public building. It was privately owned.

So, whine and moan about it all you want, but Mr. Kammerer among others could have bought the property to preserve it or worked with the Pugh's to relocate the structure...which would have saved them the demo cost.

What I have seen is the City of Greenville preserve both the Art Deco City Hall as well as Guy Smith Stadium, which he both references (I assume its Guy Smith he is referencing). As well I have seen the City purchase the old theater and is obtaining grants among other things to bring it back to life.

Let's put some context on this...Not only is the City building a new bus station to fit the population of 100K rather than 20K, but a private land owner tore down a bus station building that had little to no value and is putting a $40 million mixed use building on the site. If this was city owned, it would have been a little questionable...but in reality, not really. If Mr. Kammerer wants to wax nostalgic, so be it, but questioning this buildings removal comes off as simply whining.

Old 07-14-2016, 07:18 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,562 times
I do agree with jpirate on this. I am for preserving historic buildings when there is value in it. However, I am not for saving a building just because it is old. The site had been a random tire shop for the last 15 years or more. The actual bus station building was rarely used.

Time for these apartments to go up so in another 150 years people can be upset when it's torn down to make way for a new 15 story building.

Last edited by michealbond; 07-14-2016 at 08:44 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 10:39 AM

The greater issue is tearing down anything unique. It would have been nice to see the bus station renovated with retro-modern flair and integrated into the new development, kind of like how the city hall buildings complement each other. Just like it would be nice to see the historic house next to the new hotel integrated into that.

Old 07-14-2016, 02:22 PM

Suddenlink's new owners are closing the Greenville call center, which has been open since the Cox days. I'm not sure exactly how many people work there but it's a good many.

Suddenlink closing Greenville call center - Daily Reflector
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina