U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 06:29 PM

82 posts, read 98,466 times

Advertisements

So, I know the apartment complex is going up on the block next to city hall, but what will be on the lot west of Pitt street between 4th and 5th? Where the old photography studio was? That building was razed along with Pughs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 08:10 PM

1,070 posts, read 987,206 times
A parking lot for GUC employees

Old 07-15-2016, 08:08 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,664 times
The mayor posted a link to the story about bulldozing the bus station & commented:

Quote:
AND IT BEGINS*---- "OPERATION 20/20"��
��$38 Million project --by California Group begins on 5th and Greene.
�� $41 Million Sidewalk Development Retail & Residential on Dickinson & Reade Circle begins this year..
��$52 Million 10th Street Taft- Ward Site cleared. Redevelopment under way.* ---
�� Hotel 120 rooms & Alumni Conference Center on Reade Circle and 4th.*
Close to 4,000 people, 24/7-- living, working, shopping, residing in the heart of our city.* New shops, residential, retail, entertainment. True ‪#‎VibrantCenterCity‬ in the next 24 months. ‪#‎GreenvilleNC‬
Exciting times over the next two years!

Bus station, tire store razed - Daily Reflector

Old 07-15-2016, 08:13 AM

6 posts, read 5,936 times
Which apartment complex? Is it going to be for students?
I'm just asking because I happen to come across a company Centre Court Apartments (which is also the name of apts near Penn State) that just had a deed of trust recorded with the NC Housing Finance Agency and I thought this might be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
So, I know the apartment complex is going up on the block next to city hall, but what will be on the lot west of Pitt street between 4th and 5th? Where the old photography studio was? That building was razed along with Pughs.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:11 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,916 times
All of this development is pretty exciting.

Random thoughts time....I know the term "LoDo" was submitted on this forum before as the nickname for the Dickinson Ave corridor. I thought of another name for the area that could work.

How about using a play on the words Dickinson Avenue and call it "The Dive"? "Dive" bars have become pretty popular lately, so naming an area that will probably be filled with bars, lounges, restaurants and more could be a cool thing to do.

I also saw where the town of Kannapolis wants to build a downtown stadium for their minor league team to help spur economic growth. They are pushing for a 5,000+ seat stadium in their downtown. Fayetteville is steadily pushing for a stadium. Kinston appears to be fairly close to getting a team back as well. I've read several articles today about cities across the country (big and small) that are currently in the process of planning or building new downtown stadiums. It's been a little while since we've talked about baseball, but I think it's definitely time for the city to take a closer look at getting at least a CPL team. Then after a couple of years try to get a multi-purpose stadium built in the Dickinson Ave section of town for a minor league team.

Last edited by michealbond; 07-15-2016 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-15-2016, 01:02 PM

14 posts, read 17,106 times
Does anyone know what is going to go into the old Kangaroo Station on Fire tower and County Home? It says on the sale sign that the contract is pending. It is an eyesore.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:54 PM

153 posts, read 186,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
The idea is to get more pedestrian traffic and less through traffic. That's done through mixed-use development that includes a good amount of residential and attracting people downtown to shop, eat, be entertained, etc. High traffic streets are a deterrent to establishing more pedestrian traffic since they create barriers for pedestrians. Pedestrians are much better for businesses than cars just passing through.
Agree completely! Tenth Streets doesn't need another car added to it's traffic. If you don't travel that strip daily you don't comprehend the congestion/chaos. Please no more through traffic.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:04 AM

153 posts, read 186,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
The greater issue is tearing down anything unique. It would have been nice to see the bus station renovated with retro-modern flair and integrated into the new development, kind of like how the city hall buildings complement each other. Just like it would be nice to see the historic house next to the new hotel integrated into that.
Gotta agree with you G&B. I'm not a fan of that architecture but it was unique in Greenville and could have been restored to it's former glory & integrated with new development. I don't consider it whining either - Greenville has systematically destroyed so much of it's architecture and in 50 years we're going to have nothing left - just modern brick and stucco-facade structures. We already have zero architectural identity as it is. Maybe saving this one building wouldn't have done much but when I have family in from out of town - there's nothing architecturally to wow them with in Greenville. We always go elsewhere.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:14 PM

181 posts, read 185,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
Agree completely! Tenth Streets doesn't need another car added to it's traffic. If you don't travel that strip daily you don't comprehend the congestion/chaos. Please no more through traffic.
LOL too late on that one, unfortunately. Did you guys not..realize what the 10th St. Connector was?

Old 07-17-2016, 12:25 PM

137 posts, read 141,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
LOL too late on that one, unfortunately. Did you guys not..realize what the 10th St. Connector was?
See http://www.city-data.com/forum/44740312-post6849.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina