U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2016, 05:45 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,366,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I would hope so. But even if the line was extended from the GTP to connect to the line that goes through Greenville, it's full potential won't be met until the railroad gets (hopefully) extended from Parmele to the existing railroad in Kelford, which goes to the Port of Virginia in Norfolk, giving the GTP rail access to one of the biggest ports on the East Coast. There's a lot of potential in eastern NC. It's just a matter of being able to capitalize on it.
We'll see about the Norfolk thing...McRory went to Wilmington today to announce a Wilmington to Charlotte freight rail line called the Queen City Express. He also noted that there will be future connections from Wilmington to the Edgecombe facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 06:20 AM

225 posts, read 205,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Construction on the Hwy 11/264 Southwest extension project begins next week.
About time. This project was let over a year ago. I heard from my boss that permits were holding it up.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:13 AM

137 posts, read 141,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
We'll see about the Norfolk thing...McRory went to Wilmington today to announce a Wilmington to Charlotte freight rail line called the Queen City Express. He also noted that there will be future connections from Wilmington to the Edgecombe facility.
I think city and county leaders should be pushing for a freight and passenger rail route through Greenville that would connect Norfolk-Virginia Beach with Wilmington, Charleston, Savanah. Rail will see better days again and it may be more important in the future to be on a rail line than being on an Interstate highway because rail is much more energy and resource efficient. Not only that, well-designed rail systems can be a much more enjoyable way to travel.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:44 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,192,469 times
ECU is buying the four houses north of Fieldside Street & west of Berkley Road for stadium expansion.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:33 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,892 times
If you want to see some good design plans of the stadium expansion you can view them here:
http://www.ecu.edu/cs-admin/campus_o...n-Images-2.pdf

Old 07-22-2016, 01:01 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,006,211 times
Information about the Sycamore Hill Monument process

Quote:
Members of a local church are challenging a team designing a monument to a piece of Greenville history that was erased in the 1960s to meet high expectations that could cost more that the budget allows.

On Wednesday, representatives from Greenville-based architectural firm MHAworks and engineering firm The East Group met with a dozen members of the Sycamore Hill Missionary Baptist Church to discuss the city’s plans to construct a Town Common memorial marking the church’s original location on First and Greene streets.
“We want a concept that both commemorates the church and resonates with the entire community,” MHAworks architect Albi McLawhorn said. “That’s a big challenge.”

The Greenville City Council is making the memorial part of the Town Common Master Plan, the city’s long-term plan for the development of the park.
The church, founded about 1867, was first called the African Baptist Church and is one of the city’s oldest congregations. Members changed its name to Sycamore Hill Missionary Baptist Church in the 1880s. In 1917, a large brick church was completed at the corner of First and Greene streets.

As a result of the Shore Drive urban renewal project in the late 1960s, the church building was sold to the city’s Redevelopment Commission, and the congregation was forced to move to Eighth Street in 1968. In 1969, the old church building was destroyed by an arsonist.

Members of the congregation — which moved to Hooker Road in the 1990s — for years have advocated for the creation of a memorial to the church at the site.
McLawhorn and Lamarco Morrison, a planner with Greenville’s Recreation and Parks Department, met with members of the church on July 14 to get input from the congregation on what they would like to see incorporated into the project’s final design. Suggestions made during the meeting included:
• An open area at the top of the tower so people can look out over the city;
• An elevator to make the top of the tower more accessible;
• Seating in the garden area surrounding the bell tower;
• A commemorative wall marking the location of the original church;
• An eternal flame placed in the garden area.

McLawhorn said he used the input from last week’s meeting as a starting point for possible design concepts.
“It was quite a wish list,” McLawhorn said. “We have to decide how we achieve as much of that as is possible. That’s why we want your input. There are a lot of decisions — like scale and location — that can change the nature of a project.”
McLawhorn said the church’s original bell tower was estimated to be about 20-by-20 feet at its base and between 50-60 feet tall.
“That’s not really large enough for an elevator or an observation deck,” McLawhorn said. “So we need to determine how much can we change from the original scale and still make it a meaningful representation of what was there.”
Some of the congregation members suggested that the bell tower be attached to an adjacent building which could be used as a visitor center for the city or house a museum commemorating the former church and the former Shore Drive community that surrounded the church.

“The church certainly was a big part of the community, but there were also the people that lived, worked and owned businesses there,” one woman said during the meeting. “It was a whole, complete city unto itself and it was taken away.
“Some people called it a slum area ... but other people called it home,” she said. “They cherished it and they need to be remembered.”

McLawhorn said the potential cost in constructing a complex with a bell tower and adjacent building could be a factor in the final design of the project. The final design for the memorial, including the cost, must be approved by City Council.
The city’s 2016-17 budget allocates about $1.5 million for the redevelopment of the Town Common, including the Sycamore Hill Bell Tower project, during the next two fiscal years.

Other potential improvements at the Town Common include: a splash park; public art; a farmers market; a beach; street vendors or carts; improved lighting; an enlarged veterans memorial; a bridge across the river; gardens; boat rentals; zip lines; campsites; and permanent bathrooms.

“How much we can spend depends on how broad of an appeal it has to the entire city,” McLawhorn said. “That’s why it will be important to get other stakeholders in the city involved and make this something that brings the entire community together.
“That will be the lynchpin of what makes this design effective or not effective,” he said.
McLawhorn said the design team will present the Recreation and Parks Commission and City Council with three schematic design alternatives for the project on Aug. 29.

“We will take the input we receive from you and other stakeholders in the community and come back with three equally good, but very distinct designs,” he said. “From there, we can decide what ideas and concepts we want to latch on to.”

Last edited by michealbond; 07-22-2016 at 01:46 PM..

Old 07-22-2016, 09:30 PM

153 posts, read 187,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
I'm with you now, and I agree. Sorry for misreading

Old 07-25-2016, 06:49 AM

Town common playground update:

Quote:
The construction of an all-inclusive playground at the Town Common will “set the standard” for Greenville’s overall plan to redevelop the 25-acre park along First Street, a city official said.
Greenville Recreation and Parks Director Gary Fenton said crews were scheduled to start work on the project today at the southeast corner of the Town Common. Construction of the playground is expected to be completed by Sept. 30.

“We’ve been excited to get this project started,” Fenton said. “This playground will be more like a small park in itself when it is finished.”

Fenton said the approximately one-acre playground will have rubberized surfaces similar to Elm Street Park and handicap-accessible equipment like the Liberty Swing, which is designed for children in wheelchairs.
“The Liberty Swing is one of the things I am looking forward to seeing in use,” Fenton said. “It’s an incredible addition to this playground.”

Other features at the playground will include:
*A natural play area designed to mimic natural landscapes;
*A climbing dome;
*Ziplines;
*An adult exercise equipment station;
*A hillside slide and climber integrated into the natural landscape of the park.

“The Town Common is challenging because there is a significant topographical grade change from First Street down to the river," Fenton said. “The way this playground flows with the landscape will give it a unique feel.”
The project is being funded through a $750,000 grant the city received from Greenville-based Trillium Health Resources. Trillium has awarded 30 grants through its Play Together Accessible Playground program, which provides municipalities with funding to build fully accessible, all-inclusive playgrounds for people with special needs and physical disabilities.

“This grant is allowing us to build something unlike anything else we have in this city,” Fenton said. “People who don’t even live in Greenville will hear about this playground.”
Fenton said the project is part of Greenville’s Town Common Master Plan, the city’s long-term plan for the development of the park.

“We knew we wanted this playground to be at the Town Common,” Fenton said. “It just made sense. ... It’s everybody’s park and want this to be everybody’s playground.
“We also wanted to make sure that anything done with the Town Common Master Plan is done right,” Fenton said. “This playground is a great place to start. ... It is going to set the standard for what we do there.”

The city is offering sponsorship opportunities for businesses, organizations or residents to help fund additional features at the playground. Anyone interested in a sponsorship packet or additional information about the project can contact the Greenville Recreation and Parks Department at 329-4567 or go to the department’s page on the City of Greenville website at Greenville, NC : Home.

“This is a great opportunity for people to get involved in what is going to be a real game-changer at the Town Common,” Fenton said. “When we talk about the city’s Tar River Legacy Plan ... this is what we are talking about.

“This is a legacy project,” Fenton said. “This playground will impact people in this city for generations.”

Old 07-25-2016, 07:28 AM

137 posts, read 141,087 times
The thing I'm most interested in for the Town Common and believe would have the greatest impact is a high-quality amphitheater with built-in seating. In the original master plan it was located in the northeast corner of the TC. Since the city council decided to develop the TC in stages and I believe they had a second design firm to design the TC in stages, it is unclear how or where the amphitheater fits. Not that I was in love with the original master plan, but I did like the location for the amphitheater. Will the playground impact the placement of the amphitheater? I can understand developing the TC in stages, but I can't understand designing it in stages. That makes no sense to me.

Looks like a nice playground, by the way.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
The thing I'm most interested in for the Town Common and believe would have the greatest impact is a high-quality amphitheater with built-in seating. In the original master plan it was located in the northeast corner of the TC. Since the city council decided to develop the TC in stages and I believe they had a second design firm to design the TC in stages, it is unclear how or where the amphitheater fits. Not that I was in love with the original master plan, but I did like the location for the amphitheater. Will the playground impact the placement of the amphitheater? I can understand developing the TC in stages, but I can't understand designing it in stages. That makes no sense to me.

Looks like a nice playground, by the way.

Yea, the "Master Plan" for the town commons can be found here:

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/Home/ShowDocument?id=9727

That plan doesn't seem to even be valid any longer since the section marked as "Y" on the map is where this new playground is currently being built.

I wouldn't mind seeing the amphitheater stay in it's current position but completely rebuilt and extend it closer to 1st street and be styled similarly to the Koka Booth Amphitheater in Cary.

Last edited by michealbond; 07-25-2016 at 09:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina