U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-03-2016, 08:10 AM
 
1,022 posts, read 1,007,439 times
Reputation: 367

Advertisements

Since "495" from Raleigh to Rocky Mount probably won't be there anymore once the new Interstate is built, I don't see a problem with them shifting it and renaming it to what is now 264.

If that's not possible, the next best thing would be to push for an interstate spur from the future I-87 (US 64) to run from Bethel to the Greenville bypass. Maybe sell it as a spur that would connect the future I-87 to the future I-42 in Kinston, making it easier to travel from Norfolk to Morehead City.

An interstate won't cure all woes, but there are very few cities in this country with populations over 90,000 people that don't have any immediate access to an interstate. For Greenville to continue to grow as we would all like it to, I believe "Interstate access" is a phrase that the city will need to have in their pocket to help push the it forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-03-2016, 08:24 AM
 
Location: Danville, VA
4,699 posts, read 3,077,213 times
Reputation: 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Since "495" from Raleigh to Rocky Mount probably won't be there anymore once the new Interstate is built, I don't see a problem with them shifting it and renaming it to what is now 264.

If that's not possible, the next best thing would be to push for an interstate spur from the future I-87 (US 64) to run from Bethel to the Greenville bypass. Maybe sell it as a spur that would connect the future I-87 to the future I-42 in Kinston, making it easier to travel from Norfolk to Morehead City.
I doubt NCDOT would shift I-495 to US-264. They want traffic from Raleigh heading to I-95 and points north to use US-64/Future I-87 to make the I-95 connection in Rocky Mount, which is why they signed I-495 as North-South rather than East-West. It would be better off as a spur of I-87. Another spur of I-87 could use the Bethel-Kinston route, so Greenville could have two I-x87's.

I-287 could run from Zebulon to Stantonsburg Road and I-487 could run from Bethel to Kinston, roughly following US-13, the Greenville northwest and future southwest bypasses, NC-11 and use the CF Harvey Parkway to connect to I-42 in Kinston. Greenville would then have interstate connections to Raleigh, the GTP in Kinston and Hampton Roads in Virginia.

However, Greenville should focus on getting an interstate to Raleigh first. The Bethel-Kinston route would take a LOT more work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 09:36 AM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,369,960 times
Reputation: 1406
The Bethel connection is a non starter IMO. I can just see the argument with all of the farmers at the Pitt Co Board of Commissioners meeting about not allowing farm equipment on 11 between Greenville and Bethel. It would be an entertaining watch. There is ZERO chance of Pitt Co supporting that, IMO.

264 is already a bypass, there is a 264 alternate between Greenville and Farmville, so the farm equipment is less of an issue. As well, the folks in Raleigh would support an I-287 to Greenville because they want as many Interstate's as they can get and it could push for even more industrial growth in eastern Wake County in places like Zebulon. Picture I-540 going around Raleigh and connecting to I-40 south to Wilmington, I-42 to Morehead City, I-87 to Rocky Mount and I-287 to Greenville...all funneling into I-540. That is what the Raleigh contingent wants, interstates in all directions. If Allen Thomas makes the argument to the Raleigh contingent that I-287 would be good to help fund the south and east sections of I-540 THEN I bet you get some more movement on the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 09:55 AM
 
1,674 posts, read 2,045,845 times
Reputation: 1074
For $30M couldn't all the counties along this section of 264 pool money with state and federal funds just to get it up to interstate standards?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
1,070 posts, read 989,265 times
Reputation: 591
Those signs are there but I don't think I've ever actually seen farm equipment on 264.

The only counties that benefit are Pitt and Wilson and Wilson already has two interstates, one of which parallels 264. It skirts Greene and runs through a rural part of Nash. Besides Nash is getting one over 64 and it goes straight to Rocky Mount.

So essentially... Greenville/Pitt would need to pony up the $30 mil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 10:14 AM
 
Location: Danville, VA
4,699 posts, read 3,077,213 times
Reputation: 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The Bethel connection is a non starter IMO. I can just see the argument with all of the farmers at the Pitt Co Board of Commissioners meeting about not allowing farm equipment on 11 between Greenville and Bethel. It would be an entertaining watch. There is ZERO chance of Pitt Co supporting that, IMO.

264 is already a bypass, there is a 264 alternate between Greenville and Farmville, so the farm equipment is less of an issue. As well, the folks in Raleigh would support an I-287 to Greenville because they want as many Interstate's as they can get and it could push for even more industrial growth in eastern Wake County in places like Zebulon. Picture I-540 going around Raleigh and connecting to I-40 south to Wilmington, I-42 to Morehead City, I-87 to Rocky Mount and I-287 to Greenville...all funneling into I-540. That is what the Raleigh contingent wants, interstates in all directions. If Allen Thomas makes the argument to the Raleigh contingent that I-287 would be good to help fund the south and east sections of I-540 THEN I bet you get some more movement on the issue.
Getting support from Raleigh for I-287 won't be a problem. However, I-487 would be a very tough sell to FHWA without a connection to Hampton Roads via a link to I-87 north of Greenville. I-287 connecting Greenville to the Triangle, one of the fastest growing large metros in the US, would be an easy sell to FHWA. I-487 connecting Greenville to a small city like Kinston that has the GTP, which hasn't been successful? Not so much. I don't think I-487 stands a chance without a connection to Hampton Roads. If the connection to I-87 in Bethel is a non-starter, then an interstate to Kinston from Greenville is very unlikely.

However, I'm surprised Wilson (city and county) has been very quiet about it. I figured they would be vocal about being at the crossroads of I-95, I-795, and I-287. You'd think they would be jumping all over the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 10:16 AM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,369,960 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
For $30M couldn't all the counties along this section of 264 pool money with state and federal funds just to get it up to interstate standards?
They don't need to actually do it. They just need the Feds to approve of the corridor. You can take your time actually doing the improvements.

I think maybe the timing will occur around the time the Southwest bypass is opened, which will also be an Interstate quality road. So at that point, say 2021 when Greenville has its census numbers come out, and it can tack on a new stretch of road it wants designated as an Interstate and progress has been made on I-87.

Just wish someone could tell the Mayor and other local officials WHAT Greenville really needs to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 10:35 AM
 
181 posts, read 185,686 times
Reputation: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
They don't need to actually do it. They just need the Feds to approve of the corridor. You can take your time actually doing the improvements.

I think maybe the timing will occur around the time the Southwest bypass is opened, which will also be an Interstate quality road. So at that point, say 2021 when Greenville has its census numbers come out, and it can tack on a new stretch of road it wants designated as an Interstate and progress has been made on I-87.

Just wish someone could tell the Mayor and other local officials WHAT Greenville really needs to do.
Sounds like they're working in the right direction. I saw a picture just the other day of A.Thomas and others meeting with NCDOT officials about interstate designation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 10:56 AM
 
1,022 posts, read 1,007,439 times
Reputation: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The Bethel connection is a non starter IMO. I can just see the argument with all of the farmers at the Pitt Co Board of Commissioners meeting about not allowing farm equipment on 11 between Greenville and Bethel. It would be an entertaining watch. There is ZERO chance of Pitt Co supporting that, IMO.

264 is already a bypass, there is a 264 alternate between Greenville and Farmville, so the farm equipment is less of an issue. As well, the folks in Raleigh would support an I-287 to Greenville because they want as many Interstate's as they can get and it could push for even more industrial growth in eastern Wake County in places like Zebulon. Picture I-540 going around Raleigh and connecting to I-40 south to Wilmington, I-42 to Morehead City, I-87 to Rocky Mount and I-287 to Greenville...all funneling into I-540. That is what the Raleigh contingent wants, interstates in all directions. If Allen Thomas makes the argument to the Raleigh contingent that I-287 would be good to help fund the south and east sections of I-540 THEN I bet you get some more movement on the issue.
A connection to I-87 from Greenville would literally be 12-15 miles of roadway. 11 wouldn't have to be touched. A new road could be built in close proximity. Connect it to the bypass in Greenville (which is fairly close to interstate standards) and there you have the beginning of interstate access in Greenville. Yes making 264 into 695 or 287 or whatever would be the #1 option. But I'm not totally convinced that Raleigh would be in support of making 264 an interstate to Greenville. I think Greenville should try to get on the I-87 train since it's so close.

I think an East/West and a North/South route would be ideal. But I don't know how feasible either one is.

Last edited by michealbond; 08-03-2016 at 11:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2016, 12:27 PM
 
Location: Danville, VA
4,699 posts, read 3,077,213 times
Reputation: 2931
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
But I'm not totally convinced that Raleigh would be in support of making 264 an interstate to Greenville.
Considering that (possible) I-287 would end at the split in Zebulon and not Raleigh city limits, I doubt the Raleigh City Council would care one way or another. Wake County, on the other hand, would most likely support it since Zebulon is in Wake and I would imagine Zebulon would also very much support it.

Honestly, I don't think the interstate needs approval from the Raleigh City Council. As long as Wake, Nash, Wilson, Greene and Pitt Counties and the towns and cities along US-264 support the upgrade, along with support from the state level, I think it'll be just a matter of time before Greenville will have interstate access to I-95 and the Triangle.

Upgrading US-264 is easily feasible since all it would take is widening the outside shoulders to 10ft. wide. US-264 is already interstate standard between I-95 and the Wilson/Greene County line, and part of it in Wilson is co-signed with I-795. The North-South route from Bethel to Kinston is a different story...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top