U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2016, 03:02 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,049,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
My favorite is the trademark clone of E-ZPass they used on the Evans Street side.
First thing I thought of when I first saw it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 06:59 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,009,636 times
Quad-East information from WNCT:

Quote:
KINSTON, N.C. (WNCT) – City leaders from all across the east are working together to make sure they’re prepared for anticipated growth.

Part of that is a plan to connect four of the larger metropolitan areas east of Interstate 95.

If their idea comes to fruition, your drive around eastern North Carolina could one day be just like the one around Raleigh, even Washington, D.C.

“It would be such a tremendous economic engine for our communities that I think in a decade or two we wouldn’t know where to put all the people,” said Kinston mayor BJ Murphy. He’s excited about the future.

Murphy along with other city and county leaders across eastern North Carolina are working on a plan called Quad-East.

Greenville mayor Allen Thomas spearheaded the concept two years ago.

“All working together, have formed an initiative called Quad-East,” said Greenville mayor Allen Thomas. “And what that means is how do we connect military, academic, medical and major manufacturing in this region together?’

The goal of Quad-East is to form an interstate quality loop from Greenville, Wilson, Goldsboro, Kinston and back to Greenville.

“Not only moves goods and services but helps increase the economic activity in these areas based on the uniqueness of each of the communities we’re talking about,” explained Murphy. “Goldsboro’s got a base. Greenville’s got Vidant and East Carolina. But Kinston’s got the Global Transpark. And tying all these pieces together.”

Part of that’s already done; I-795 connects Wilson and Goldsboro. US 70 between Goldsboro and Kinston is in the process of being upgraded to I-42.

Another part of the proposed loop is the Felix Harvey Parkway north of Kinston. Last month, DOT officials announced the parkway will extend from NC 58 to NC 11.

“The northern option for the Harvey Parkway extension from the Global Transpark to Highway 11,” said Murphy. “Just a few upgrades to Highway 11, maybe a few upgrades to Highway 70 and, folks, we’ve got us a controlled access freeway system here in eastern North Carolina.”

And in Pitt County, the NC 11 southwestern bypass construction just got underway, which is another key piece of the Quad-East puzzle.

Bringing it all together means working with other cities and counties and having a common goal. For these two mayors, that’s a win-win situation.

“We have to fit together as a region if we’re going to be able to recruit industry and to be able to bring opportunity here,” said Thomas. “It’s the eastern part of North Carolina. It’s not just one city. We’re all in this thing together.”

“It’s really important for rural eastern North Carolina to all be on the same page when it comes to transportation and economic development. And Quad-East is the epitome of what that cooperation could look like,” said Murphy.

The last leg of the Quad-East loop is NC 11 between the Harvey Parkway in Lenoir County and the southwestern bypass in Pitt County. As of now, there are no immediate plans to upgrade that stretch of road to interstate standards.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:04 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,376,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
There is more than one millennial campus. 10th street, medical campus, uptown, and the one I was referring to that will be on the old intramural fields and stratford arms lot. https://www.northcarolina.edu/sites/...on_-_ecu-3.pdf
That's a good document right there.

So, it appears the plan for the Stratford Arms/Blount fields site is more of a Mixed Use development. And now you will have a Publix, among other things right there. I could envision ECU using that site for additional student housing in the future, coupled with mixed uses and a park. May make a lot of sense to house athletes there because of its proximity to the Olympic Sports Complex and could be a recruiting tool by ECU.

So I would agree that some connectivity would be smart, however, that connectivity may be more of ECU's redevelopment of its site rather than BrodyCo's construction of Publix.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:13 AM

2,404 posts, read 3,376,481 times
"The last leg of the Quad-East loop is NC 11 between the Harvey Parkway in Lenoir County and the southwestern bypass in Pitt County. As of now, there are no immediate plans to upgrade that stretch of road to interstate standards."

I don't see how that would be much of a priority. That stretch was recently changed to 60 mph after the light at the P&G plant was removed. And the Southwest bypass will also bypass Ayden.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:39 AM

4,743 posts, read 3,105,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
"The last leg of the Quad-East loop is NC 11 between the Harvey Parkway in Lenoir County and the southwestern bypass in Pitt County. As of now, there are no immediate plans to upgrade that stretch of road to interstate standards."

I don't see how that would be much of a priority. That stretch was recently changed to 60 mph after the light at the P&G plant was removed. And the Southwest bypass will also bypass Ayden.
Give it time. If it involves a potential new interstate, they'll find a way.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:20 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,009,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
That's a good document right there.

So, it appears the plan for the Stratford Arms/Blount fields site is more of a Mixed Use development. And now you will have a Publix, among other things right there. I could envision ECU using that site for additional student housing in the future, coupled with mixed uses and a park. May make a lot of sense to house athletes there because of its proximity to the Olympic Sports Complex and could be a recruiting tool by ECU.

So I would agree that some connectivity would be smart, however, that connectivity may be more of ECU's redevelopment of its site rather than BrodyCo's construction of Publix.
I know space is at a premium, but I would really love for ECU to do very little to the Stratford Arms lot. It's probably one of the nicer green spaces in all of Greenville. I feel that a big student dorm with mixed use would probably tear down most of those big trees and all that green space.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:03 PM

294 posts, read 273,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I know space is at a premium, but I would really love for ECU to do very little to the Stratford Arms lot. It's probably one of the nicer green spaces in all of Greenville. I feel that a big student dorm with mixed use would probably tear down most of those big trees and all that green space.
The amount of acreage they'll have combing the blunt fields, the stratford lot and the preexisting parking lots around the belk build is substantial. The have plenty of space to work with, I would hope (like you) that they preserve those big trees and are intentional about the green space. I think that they will be, people appreciate those aspects and developers take that into account.

Old 08-10-2016, 05:11 PM

4,743 posts, read 3,105,430 times
I just stumbled across an interesting article. It's 3 weeks old, but still relevant IMO.

Pitt Co. Commissioners say state is ignoring eastern NC transportation needs

Old 08-10-2016, 08:29 PM

153 posts, read 187,443 times
I likely missed this...Sorry if a repost.

Logan's Roadhouse files for bankruptcy

Old 08-10-2016, 09:47 PM

181 posts, read 186,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
There is more than one millennial campus. 10th street, medical campus, uptown, and the one I was referring to that will be on the old intramural fields and stratford arms lot. https://www.northcarolina.edu/sites/...on_-_ecu-3.pdf
Those are sites that have received the designation to allow Millennial land use by the state, but not necessarily what ECU will be using -- at least immediately.

For the next decade give or take, they'll be focusing solely on the Warehouse district and their downtown land use.

Who knows what happens with the Charles Blvd. area long-term, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina