U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2016, 07:51 AM

293 posts, read 270,638 times

Advertisements

I choose to believe the economic development professionals from Pitt and Greenville when they say interstate access would help the area. Just because Greenville is growing well, doesn't mean its growing like it could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 07:53 AM

4,624 posts, read 3,035,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francisdrake View Post
i choose to believe the economic development professionals from pitt and greenville when they say interstate access would help the area. Just because greenville is growing well, doesn't mean its growing like it could.
+1

Old 08-29-2016, 08:42 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,019 times
From the DR: Winterville is booming...

Quote:
Shannon Keith
Monday, August 29, 2016

WINTERVILLE — The surge of commercial development in Greenville is on the verge of overflowing into the city’s closest neighboring municipality.

“Winterville is not the secret that it once was,” Stephen Penn, Winterville’s economic developer, said. “We are on the tipping point of something big.”

Winterville recently was recognized as one of the fastest-growing municipalities in eastern North Carolina. Penn said that the majority of the town’s growth is centered around residential development.

“More than 60 percent of the homes in Winterville were built between 2000 and 2009,” Penn said. “Last year alone, we approved plats that will create more than 230 single-family homes. I’ve talked with some of the housing developers within Winterville, and they said many of their lots are sold prior to construction or before the house is finalized.

“We don’t have to go out and market our town to residential developers,” Penn said. “Winterville sells itself.”

Penn said commercial development in Winterville has not grown as much as residential development since 2009. However, Winterville is anticipating “a commercial boom” by the end of the decade.

“The recession hit right near the end of our 2000-2009 surge in population,” Penn said. “Developers and retailers were apprehensive with expansion. They also were not aware of our extensive growth. The U.S. Census estimated Winterville’s population to be about 4,900 in 2009. In actuality, the 2010 census found our population to be nearly double that figure.”
Penn said now that the nation is coming out of the recession, commercial developers are showing a renewed interest in the Winterville area. The area along N.C. 11 near Pitt Community College is the fastest-developing part of Pitt County.
“That area has a lot of potential,” Penn said. “We are seeing some growth there as well.”

Recent developments in that area include:

* The Greenville Crossings development where the old Carolina East center was located. The development’s anchor business, Hobby Lobby, recently open a 55,000 square-foot store at the location. Academy Sports is under construction next to Hobby Lobby;

* U-Haul is building the U-Haul Moving & Storage of Westhaven on a 10-acre lot at 4057 S. Memorial Drive, across from PCC. The front of the property will include a U-Haul showroom; a three-story, climate-controlled self-storage facility; and a 4,000-square-foot U-Box warehouse. The back of the property will feature 100 covered storage spaces for RVs, boats and vehicles;

* Richmond, Va.-based CarMax Auto Superstores is opening a dealership at the southeast corner of Whitley and Humber drives, which sits northeast of the intersection of Fire Tower Road and Memorial Drive. CarMax is the nation’s largest used car dealer, with 157 locations in 36 states, and employees more than 12,000 people nationwide;

* Aquaventure, located at 214-A Beacon Drive, opened on Aug. 13. The aquatics facility features an eight-lane, 25-yard saltwater lap pool that ranges from 3 1/2 to five feet in depth, as well as a 270,000-gallon dive tank that ranges from nine feet to 12 feet in depth. The Wellness Campus — an extension of Our Children’s Clinic, a local pediatric practice — and the Rum Runner Dive Shop, a full-service scuba shop, also are operating out of the facility.

* Goodwill recently opened its second Pitt County location behind Sheetz on Whitley Drive.
“The land along Fire Tower Road near the northern section of Winterville is getting a lot of interest from developers as well,” Penn said. “We are anticipating that area to be one of the next big things.”

Penn said the town’s officials are excited about the potential growth in the next few years but also are exercising caution about what type of development comes to Winterville. Penn said the town currently is looking for a mid-scale to upper mid-scale grocery store to locate in Winterville and the town commissioned a Hotel Market and Feasibility Study in 2015 that showed positive results for a mid- to upper mid-scale hotel.

“We are focusing on attracting things that complement the character of our community,” Penn said. “The majority of our homes were built after 2000 and the average age of our residents is in the early 30s ... most of the people that live here were not born in Winterville, they chose Winterville.

“We don’t want to change our identity,” he said. “That’s what attracted them here.”
The town also is looking at revitalizing its downtown district with businesses like craft breweries and restaurants but has limited commercial space available, Penn said.

“We have retailers who want to be in Winterville that cannot find the unoccupied leasable space,” Penn said. “We actually have a really successful downtown. However, there are a few areas that I think would be ideal for some type of mixed-use developments.”

Penn said there also is an area of Winterville — which is zoned for industrial use — which has “outstanding potential” to bring jobs to the area once the 264 Southwest Bypass is constructed.

“We are keeping a close eye on that because the area will be ideal for an industry that wants to locate here and take advantage of the amenities and infrastructure the area has,” Penn said. “It’s an exciting time with everything going on in the area. I think it’s the right time and Winterville is definitely the right place.”

Old 08-29-2016, 09:02 AM

223 posts, read 204,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
From the DR: Winterville is booming...
Great to hear that Winterville is growing by leaps and bounds. My wife and I really love it here. Not too far from my family and I'm in a place big enough that has all the amenities I need. Only problem I have is how ae they gonna to address the rapid growth around Thomas Langston, Forlines, Frog Level, Davenport Farm and soon Reedy Branch Rd. ? I just read in the Reflector today that a crash on Davenport Farm backed up traffic for miles but before that it was already backed up a mile. Soon these two lane roads out here aren't gonna be enough for the amount of people living out in this area. I can also see soon that businesses would want to build out here, but these roads aren't very good. You think DOT could had thrown a little out out here to improve the roads.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:08 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
Great to hear that Winterville is growing by leaps and bounds. My wife and I really love it here. Not too far from my family and I'm in a place big enough that has all the amenities I need. Only problem I have is how ae they gonna to address the rapid growth around Thomas Langston, Forlines, Frog Level, Davenport Farm and soon Reedy Branch Rd. ? I just read in the Reflector today that a crash on Davenport Farm backed up traffic for miles but before that it was already backed up a mile. Soon these two lane roads out here aren't gonna be enough for the amount of people living out in this area. I can also see soon that businesses would want to build out here, but these roads aren't very good. You think DOT could had thrown a little out out here to improve the roads.
Same thing to the Southeast outside of Greenville. Current strategy seems to be round-abouts. Worthington and County Home needs one. Hollywood Crossroads needs a new intersection. Mills and Ivy round-about was just finished.

I think a Forlines Rd connection is supposed to be constructed with the bypass to tie into Firetower. And we know Firetower/Portertown is supposed to be widened.

Old 08-29-2016, 09:26 AM

223 posts, read 204,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Same thing to the Southeast outside of Greenville. Current strategy seems to be round-abouts. Worthington and County Home needs one. Hollywood Crossroads needs a new intersection. Mills and Ivy round-about was just finished.

I think a Forlines Rd connection is supposed to be constructed with the bypass to tie into Firetower. And we know Firetower/Portertown is supposed to be widened.
I actually heard rumors that NCDOT is looking to put a round-a-bout by Davenport Farm and Frog Level so you may be right.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:56 AM

1,070 posts, read 983,869 times
Quote:
Thats not unique to Winterville though, I've seen that everywhere.

I live in Winterville. It's so nice not worrying about the crime. It just doesn't happen like it does in Greenville.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:58 AM

1,070 posts, read 983,869 times
Quote:
I actually heard rumors that NCDOT is looking to put a round-a-bout by Davenport Farm and Frog Level so you may be right.
The one at Ivy and Mills is nice. It seems like a great way to fix otherwise dangerous intersections. It's better than 4-way stop signs...some people just can't figure out how to use those.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:15 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,037 times
Here is the fix for the country road Winterville traffic...

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/FireTowerRdExtension/

Obviously the bypass has to be finished. ROW Acq supposed to be in 2020.

Old 08-29-2016, 12:29 PM

4,624 posts, read 3,035,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
It seems like a great way to fix otherwise dangerous intersections. It's better than 4-way stop signs...some people just can't figure out how to use those.
Agreed. I'm not a fan of 4-way stops, to put it mildly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina