U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2016, 06:19 PM

4,785 posts, read 3,138,721 times

Advertisements

ECU College of Allied Health Sciences welcomes new dean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 06:29 PM

138 posts, read 141,977 times
WNCT is really late to that story. Here's a more detailed story from the ECU website on August 1, 2016: College of Allied Health Sciences welcomes new dean

Old 08-30-2016, 07:58 PM

4,785 posts, read 3,138,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
WNCT is really late to that story. Here's a more detailed story from the ECU website on August 1, 2016: College of Allied Health Sciences welcomes new dean
WNCT really stays on top of things, don't they?

Old 08-31-2016, 01:21 AM

105 posts, read 146,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Where to start...

First the good things....like the pier concept with the removal of bulkhead and return to natural status. Walkway across the park is nice as a barrier and provides connectivity.

I like the amphitheater placement and the tower concept in the background. I like the idea of the restrooms at the top of the amphitheater in terms of placement.

The bad...first off the diagonal parking is the wrong way...although diagonal parking is a good idea on First Street.

As well, this is a classic example of overthinking a space. A community building? Only IMO as a use for the amphitheater. This should be a "natural" space w/o buildings. Mini-golf? No. Volleyball? No. Hard courts? No...again a natural space. Zip Line? It's too small...maybe if you were going to build a Zip Line that crosses the river into River Park North.

So, IMO you are left with a outdoor BMX park or just a multi-purpose field. A BMX park is too much of a centerpiece, IMO on the Town Common. This is better off in some other space. If you are going the multi-purpose route, then it should be incorporated into the Amphitheater space, as overflow. So it doesn't work in this design. A multi-purpose field could be used for BMX demonstrations as well as festivals...but again it needs to be situated as overflow for the Amphitheater.

Finally a fountain...where its located is just awful. A fountain would go well at Five Points...I think the Town Common water feature is the river. You don't need to add a water feature.
HP91, I totally agree with you on many points. Mini-golf? No. Volleyball? No. Hard courts? No. BMX park? Also No. I hate to see it developed into another sports facility. Think about Central Park with its many open areas where adults and children can play games or sports on a grassy lawn, not a regulation field. They bring in temporary bandstands & have huge concerts without building a large permanent amphitheater & use some of the same areas for festivals & such. Too much development, playgrounds, sports fields, BMX structures & monuments are going to destroy the Town Common as a park and there will be no large areas for people to gather for festivals. Also if they take out the bulkhead,fence,& sidewalk & bring it back to a natural river front, its going to make a really steep grade, making a large portion of the park unusable for events. And please don't let the kudzu take over the river front.

How about a pool for seals like the one in Central Park and a restaurant. I have fond memories of everyone (kids & adults) gathering around to watch the seals at feeding time. Seals prop up on the edge of the pool looking through bystanders legs for the zoo keeper coming with his buckets of fish. Very entertaining! Greenville need only look at New Bern (a city 1/3 the size of G) for terrific ideas on redeveloping its downtown & it seems like they have a festival of some sort every few weeks. Lots of adult housing, condos, hotels and restaurants that pull in families/visitors from everywhere. Locating their Convention Center downtown was a real coup also. Kinston has developed the low area of the Neuse into a nice park & campground even though it floods frequently. Why can't the area across the Tar be used for such purposes. ECU students are great, adding vibrancy to the city, but we need to bring in things that appeal to a much broader group of people.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:36 AM

841 posts, read 1,044,572 times
I saw this on facebook this morning. First beam being put into place on the 10th street connector.

Side Note: Not sure what the worker sees down there in that hole

Last edited by jpirate; 08-31-2016 at 06:37 AM.. Reason: w

Old 08-31-2016, 09:10 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,013,006 times
I understand that they want the park to be utilized and are trying to get lots of stuff packed into this giant space. But I'm not sure BMX, volleyball, or hard court areas should be included. Those things aren't going to get people

I think it'd be a good idea to have an area similar to Pullen Park with a carousel and train. It's probably one of the most frequented parks in Raleigh. It has a small cafe area as well. Stick the carousel in the NW section of the park along with either a train or the fountain/ice rink area. The train could weave around outer sections of the entire park. Or simply flow from one side of the park to the other and back, connecting the West & East sections.

It is taking a very long time, but I'd rather them get more input and come out with a better plan. You have to have something that will draw people there on a frequent basis. All that greenspace with the TC right now is great, but if you want people to use the space, there has to be a draw.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:07 AM

294 posts, read 274,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I-87's routing came about as a way to connect eastern NC to the Port of Virginia in Norfolk. That port plays a role in eastern NC's economy. That's why Greenville and Kinston are pushing for the upgrade of US-13/NC-11 between US-64/I-87 in Bethel and US-70/I-42 in Kinston, mainly due to the Global TransPark, which has been severely hampered by lack of infrastructure due to NC lacking the foresight to make sure the site had the right infrastructure in place 25 years ago and Greenville being the economic hub of eastern NC. The Port of Morehead City is a fishing dock by comparison and while Wilmington has made improvements, it still lags way behind Norfolk. The "Raleigh-Norfolk" connection was basically used as a means to an end to give eastern NC interstate access to Norfolk's port. Plus, there's CSX building their massive hub in Rocky Mount. It would mean more businesses utilizing Norfolk's port, which is good for Norfolk, along with the benefit of Hampton Roads no longer being a cul-de-sac. I don't really see it as a bad thing and Hampton Roads is in support of it. I doubt they would've supported it if they believed there would be no benefit for them.
I would argue that I-87 is rather exclusively for the sake of Raleigh rather than ENC. It connects nothing of note in ENC to Hampton roads and will do nothing for the small townships along its path outside of maybe Rocky Mount and Elizabeth City. If it were about ENC it would've been along the 264 route turning NE at Greenville or between Greenville and Washington. The SE bypass was already happening and would've given Kinston and the global transpark instant infrastructure rather than having to lobby for the Hwy 11/13 upgrade now.

I understand that the 64 route is more direct and that it is likely cheaper, at least initially. However if we're upgrading 11/13 to interstate status anyway its moot. Kinston already has the transpark, Greenville is already growing and an established hub in the east. An interstate makes more sense and benefits those areas much greater bc they have those benefits already in place. Putting an interstate through Tarboro/Bethel/Wiliamston etc wont likely do squat for those townships.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:53 AM

Followup on the Carolina Kickoff concert:

Quote:
With new sod ready for Saturday’s season opener at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, organizers of an Aug. 20 concert say the event was a success despite a few hiccups and they look forward to another good show next year.

The Carolina Kickoff concert, featuring country star Eric Church and rocker Kid Rock with performances by singer Margo Price, the band Amasa Hines, The Harris Brothers and singer David Ray, was the first major concert at ECU’s football stadium since the athletic department’s initiative to expand use of its facilities.

East Carolina University contracted with Basis Entertainment, a company out of Iowa, to hold the concert, and Basis Entertainment ran the show, booked the acts, hired the talent, set up security, and ECU provided the venue. The two are making final arrangements for another big show in August 2017.

“They came in and basically rented our facility,” J.J. McLamb, associate athletic director for internal operations at ECU, said of the partnership with Basis.

ECU charged Basis $100,000 for the use of the facility, and Basis paid all the other expenses, including staffing and production costs. They’re also paying the cost of replacing sod on the football field so that the field is ready for ECU’s first football game against Western Carolina Saturday evening.

Cranes, trucks and other vehicles were brought in to set up the stage and various tents. Then the football field was covered with thick rubber mats that looked like giant jigsaw puzzle pieces covering the grass on the field and all around the edges.
Afterward, the cranes and equipment were moved back into the stadium to tear it all down again, and the rubber matting was removed. “We knew there would be some resodding,” McLamb said.

McLamb said he hasn’t seen the final figures on the cost of repairing the field, but that Basis Entertainment would be reimbursing ECU for that cost. The whole field didn’t need to be resodded, he said, just parts of it.
Preparations began Aug. 22, which was plenty of time to repair the field for Saturday’s 6 p.m. game with Western Carolina, McLamb said. The thicker the sod, the closer to game day it can be laid, he said.

Before the concert, people could buy tickets at prices starting at $39 all the way up to pit tickets next to the stage costing close to $200. Although musicians took the stage at 3 p.m., most of the ticket-holders didn’t enter the stadium until late in the day, and some stayed outside, partying and tailgating until Church came onstage about 9:45 p.m.

Once most of the fans had entered the stadium, there was some confusion about where ticket-holders were supposed to sit. People sitting in the Boneyard — the student section end zone seats opposite the stage — were asked to move onto the field.

Then the show’s emcee came out on stage with a microphone and encouraged people who were sitting in the bleachers on the sides of the field to move down onto the field as well.

As people crowded down onto the field near the stage, that irritated some of the people who had purchased more expensive seats on the field since their views were blocked by people who had been encouraged to come down and get close to the stage.

Later, someone came on stage to ask the people to return to their seats, but few people left.

McLamb said he had received just a few complaints about the situation. Andrew Thompson, chief operating officer for Basis Entertainment, said there was some confusion, but each time an event is held, there’s something to be learned from it, and Basis will be analyzing and working on ideas to make improvements at its next concert.
“We’re addressing the tickets and the seating concerns,” he said.

Another issue is that the early acts played to a nearly empty stadium, even though there were many, many people outside the stadium.

It’s been ECU’s policy that once someone enters the stadium, if he or she leaves, there’s no coming back inside. That may have prevented people from coming in to see some of the earlier acts because it was a hot sunny day inside the stadium, and they had shade, beer and barbecue grills outside the stadium.

That possibly could change at future concerts.
“Everything is up for discussion as we’re planning for the next one,” McLamb said.

Thompson said they’re talking about some ideas so that the stadium is full for the whole length of the concert.
Some businesses in the Greenville area benefited from the concert, including hotels, motels, restaurants, crane operators, tent and chair rental businesses and caterers.

The crews arrived on Monday before the concert and rented most of the rooms at the Holiday Inn, Thompson said.
People came from up and down the Atlantic coast to attend the concert and many of them got hotel rooms. Between the concert and some parents who were moving their students late at ECU, all the hotel rooms in Pitt County were filled, according to Andrew Schmidt, executive director of the Greenville Convention and Visitors Bureau.

“It was definitely hard to find a hotel room in Pitt County,” Schmidt said. “Of course we loved that.”
People staying at hotels usually eat out at restaurants, go shopping and spend money, and that’s what Greenville wants, he said.

Besides the economic benefit that occurred during the week of the concert, the concert itself is an advertisement that Greenville is ready and able to host similar large events, Schmidt said.
Other concert and event promoters might now see Greenville as a city that can support those types of events, Schmidt said.

Basis Entertainment and ECU already have plans to host another concert next year, and they plan to announce the nationally known performer at ECU’s football game with N.C. State on Sept. 10.
“We looking forward to having that event, and and it looks like it’s going to be a yearly event,” Schmidt said.

Parmalee, Tritt to perform

ECU and two major acts announced they will host concerts this fall at Minges Coliseum.
Country star Travis Tritt is scheduled to perform Sept. 23 at 6:30 p.m. Special guests include Nantucket and Nicky Harris. Tickets cost $20 to $70.

Parmalee, the platinum-selling country band with roots in Greenville, will return to headline the second annual “Feels Like Carolina” concert at Minges Coliseum on Nov. 18. Tickets go on sale Sept. 1.

Parmalee premiered its current single “Roots,” a homage to the band’s hometown, at the inaugural homecoming last year while headlining Minges Coliseum’s 8,000-seat arena. Parmalee has made the "Feels Like Carolina" concert an annual event as a tribute to its home state of North Carolina and as a way to thank the community for its years of support.

This year, the annual concert will be accompanied by fellow BBR Music Group artists, Grammy-nominated country duo Thompson Square and harmonic-newcomers Runaway June. North Carolina native and local favorite Luke Combs along with RCA Nashville artist Dee Jay Silver will also perform and round out the lineup.
Tickets will be available through ECU Pirates Official Athletic Site and the ECU Athletics ticket office.

Old 08-31-2016, 12:52 PM

I think it's a great learning experience for all involved with that concert. But I'd be absolutely pissed if I paid $200 to be in the pit and then they let anyone else move down after the show starts, even if they bought a $40 ticket. I'd never pay $200 for any concert, but I understand the point. I think you'll see lower prices next year and a bigger crowd, no matter the headliner.

I like the 20k number, Walnut Creek holds that much. I'd assume they'll take the upper deck tickets off the market and cut most tickets by about 20% or more. I like that more of these concerts and events are taking place. Would be nice to have a dedicated amphitheater and/or civic center to have them in, but we will take what we can get!

Old 08-31-2016, 01:27 PM

1,079 posts, read 997,669 times
Change the damn name to something that a) reflects ECU and b) isn't already used by UNCCH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina