U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2016, 10:03 AM

33 posts, read 32,279 times

Advertisements

My wife's sister flew in to visit us in Emerald Isle a couple of months ago. She was coming from Milwaukee with one stop in Charlotte with the choice of us picking her up at either Greenville, New Bern or Jacksonville airports depending on what arrival time would work best for both of our schedules.

Ironically the cheapest flight and the one she chose came into Jacksonville, which is literally in a field in the middle of nowhere and much more remote than PGV (and not really in Jacksonville either as its more south of Richlands). New Bern was only slightly higher, but Greenville was upwards of 100 dollars more for any flight choices. I've seen this to be the case with any flights I have searched for departing/arriving at PGV over the years. When I lived in Greenville I paid the extra amount just for the convenience.

I just saw the chart just posted, and I did not realize that New Bern does basically twice the amount of passengers that Greenville does in a year, but what really shocks me is Jacksonville does 3 times the amount of passengers as Greenville (you would never guess that if you have ever gone to the airport). I guess the volume equates to better prices out of those 2 airports over PGV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2016, 12:58 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,006,674 times
Looks like Hot dish finally got around to some restaurant news this week!

Totopos Tacos & Tequila (former University Chophouse location) is now open.

Old 09-22-2016, 09:36 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,045,023 times
City of Greenville unveils new financial transparency tool

Old 09-22-2016, 11:49 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,045,023 times

Old 09-23-2016, 04:26 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,367,962 times
I can't agree with that Gateway Act more. Tying Greenville to the other interstates North and South of it and to the West will help Eastern NC. Greenville has already emerged from an educational and healthcare perspective and has a solid industrial base. The problem is the road infrastructure is 1950's at best. Tying legitimate towns like Washington, Kinston, Williamston, etc...to Greenville within an Interstate system is absolutely necessary for the success of those towns.

Finally the State seems to be getting serious about improving infrastructure in Eastern NC. The road system in Wilmington and along the coast is about as bad as Greenville. I guess the State can't turn a blind eye anymore when the growth data from the last census in places like Winterville were "projected" to be half the size they actually turned out to be.

Old 09-23-2016, 06:34 AM

294 posts, read 272,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I can't agree with that Gateway Act more. Tying Greenville to the other interstates North and South of it and to the West will help Eastern NC. Greenville has already emerged from an educational and healthcare perspective and has a solid industrial base. The problem is the road infrastructure is 1950's at best. Tying legitimate towns like Washington, Kinston, Williamston, etc...to Greenville within an Interstate system is absolutely necessary for the success of those towns.

Finally the State seems to be getting serious about improving infrastructure in Eastern NC. The road system in Wilmington and along the coast is about as bad as Greenville. I guess the State can't turn a blind eye anymore when the growth data from the last census in places like Winterville were "projected" to be half the size they actually turned out to be.
Here, here! Really great news for the East, lets get it done!

Old 09-23-2016, 11:47 AM

4,678 posts, read 3,070,160 times
It was wise to include the US-13 connection to Bethel and Hampton Roads via I-87. I doubt it would've stood much chance of passing Congress without the connection to the Port of Virginia and the largest Naval base on the East Coast. Either way, it's great news for the GTP and Greenville!

The one thing I don't understand is why introduce the bill now before the November elections? They'll just wind up having to re-introduce the bill next year, like they did for the I-42 and I-87 bills.

Old 09-23-2016, 12:32 PM

137 posts, read 141,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
It was wise to include the US-13 connection to Bethel and Hampton Roads via I-87. I doubt it would've stood much chance of passing Congress without the connection to the Port of Virginia and the largest Naval base on the East Coast. Either way, it's great news for the GTP and Greenville!

The one thing I don't understand is why introduce the bill now before the November elections? They'll just wind up having to re-introduce the bill next year, like they did for the I-42 and I-87 bills.
Evidently, you are not very political. The answer is the last two words of your question.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:46 AM

4,678 posts, read 3,070,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
Evidently, you are not very political. The answer is the last two words of your question.
I sure walked into that one!

Old 09-27-2016, 12:12 PM

227 posts, read 205,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPirate View Post
Really need to get PGV connected to Norfolk, DC, etc.

No reason there is not a direct flight from DC to eastern NC anymore.
This. A flight to either Richmond or DC should really be a given at this point. That would give Greenville the edge for being eastern nc's airport for the northeast US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina