U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2016, 08:21 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,039,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Mentioned before, but now there's a full article about it . City redevelopment commission is not happy with GO Science:

I've said before, I liked the idea of GO-Science. STEM education is definitely needed in the area. However, I believe the city may have been lead to believe, or misinterpreted the GO Science original presentation. I'm sure the city thought that GO Science would become a full fledged science museum. It has not done that.

The city is probably seeing dollar signs at every square inch of land they purchased in the Dickinson Ave area. They probably are ready to sell that patch of land to a private developer for a whole lot more than they paid for it.

I think they have been very generous with GO Science. I hope they can work something out with moving them to a nearby location.
I never thought GO Science would ever be much more than a school field trip destination.
They may have been offered the place seven years ago, but they've been open less than two years.
They've only accomplished only one phase of their intent with the building itself. They plan on expanding.
Dickinson Avenue itself has been a total wreck of a road, and is closed not too far from the center.
Between the bridge construction project and the investments being made in that area, the city needs to decide if they believe in the GO Science Center long-term (very long-term). Contemplating the next two/three years on the center is useless. Try seven to ten, five minimum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2016, 09:03 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,002,816 times
I found an old presentation or something on the city's website

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=7871

It may be only a STEM education center now, but from what I see from this presentation, their eventual plan was/is to become a full fledged museum. I'm sure the city thought the center would be a lot closer than they are to that vision. I think the center is needed, but I don't blame the city for wanting to redo the contracts at this point.

The piece of land GO Science sits on is very valuable right now. Probably worth at least double what the city paid for it. I'm sure the city would be able to work with the science center to relocate them.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:34 PM

153 posts, read 186,646 times
I would agree michaelbond. I hear almost nothing about the center. No promotion. The last time I drove by it still looks like half their building is a parking garage for utility vehicles. I would have certainly expected a little more progress than what has occurred.

Old 11-03-2016, 08:44 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,165 times
I too was excited about this when it was first proposed. I thought it would be progressing towards an actual science center, as indicated by the article...it seems to just sit there & I guess do outreach programs...I haven't brought my kids there, my mother in law brought my oldest & said it really wasn't worth the time to visit. So, I'd agree...unless they can get things going, maybe they should find another location...or get on that fund raising pronto.

It would be wonderful to have a Science Museum or really, any kind of Museum uptown, like Raleigh has. It really brings people to the area, which equates to $

Old 11-03-2016, 04:22 PM

6 posts, read 4,124 times
Any one know what happening to highway 43 south going to dh conley is the road going to get widening

Old 11-04-2016, 06:25 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times
Evans/Old Tar Rd widening update...$35 million, sidewalks and bike lanes from Gville Blvd to Worthington Rd, ROW acquisition in 2019, start construction in 2021.

Residents give input on Old Tar Road project - Daily Reflector

Old 11-04-2016, 07:58 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,165 times
Whatever is in the works across from Wal Mart on Hwy 33 is underway.

Old 11-04-2016, 08:02 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times
Thought someone mentioned a Zaxby's there?

Old 11-04-2016, 08:56 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,002,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Evans/Old Tar Rd widening update...$35 million, sidewalks and bike lanes from Gville Blvd to Worthington Rd, ROW acquisition in 2019, start construction in 2021.

Residents give input on Old Tar Road project - Daily Reflector
Yea, this is probably needed the most in the city, next to a Greenville Blvd widening. Sad, that construction won't even start until 5 years from now. But at least it's happening!

Old 11-04-2016, 09:53 AM

223 posts, read 204,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Yea, this is probably needed the most in the city, next to a Greenville Blvd widening. Sad, that construction won't even start until 5 years from now. But at least it's happening!
I disagree with Greenville Blvd. Allen Rd. needs widening in the worse way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina