U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2016, 11:32 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times

Advertisements

Mayor Allen Thomas spoke during today's NCDOT ceremony celebrating the construction of the Southwest Bypass.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2016, 12:16 PM

4,634 posts, read 3,044,259 times
I thought the bypass got underway a few months ago. Or was it just land clearing?

Luckily, the bypass is being built to interstate standards so at least that part will be ready if the ENC Gateway Act passes Congress and the route between Kinston & Bethel becomes a future interstate.

Old 11-05-2016, 05:17 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,043,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Yea, this is probably needed the most in the city, next to a Greenville Blvd widening. Sad, that construction won't even start until 5 years from now. But at least it's happening!
I'm glad to see that the State is moving away from 4 lanes plus a suicide lane to 4 lanes with a median. The new Firetower/Portertown roads expansion will also be 4 lanes with a median. Some of the local residents have stated that they would rather have 4 lanes with a suicide lane.

Old 11-07-2016, 07:44 AM

181 posts, read 215,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I'm glad to see that the State is moving away from 4 lanes plus a suicide lane to 4 lanes with a median. The new Firetower/Portertown roads expansion will also be 4 lanes with a median. Some of the local residents have stated that they would rather have 4 lanes with a suicide lane.
"suicide lane" LOL that is such a perfect description. They really need to stop putting those in.

Old 11-11-2016, 03:43 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times
City Council agrees to $19 million plan for the Town Common.

Council OKs $19 million Town Common plan - Daily Reflector

Just for context, Wilmington voters just approved $20 million within a parks bond for their new riverfront park that will host festivals. Greenville is now looking for money I guess to fund its wish list.

Also in the article the Council agreed to increase its annual investment to Uptown Greenville to $100,000 (from $25K). They were seeking an increase to $50K. IMO, this is a very wise investment.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:42 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,749 times
Some photos from facebook.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:20 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,004,031 times
Overall, it looks like a great plan, but I'm not super excited about the placement of the amphitheater. I think they could have put it where the "Multipurpose field" is and gotten a larger capacity. But I think it will transform the usefulness and desirability of the park.

Put a mixed-use development or two across the street and this renovated park will be used even more. I'm excited for them to get this started!

Old 11-12-2016, 07:06 PM

137 posts, read 140,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Overall, it looks like a great plan, but I'm not super excited about the placement of the amphitheater. I think they could have put it where the "Multipurpose field" is and gotten a larger capacity. But I think it will transform the usefulness and desirability of the park.

Put a mixed-use development or two across the street and this renovated park will be used even more. I'm excited for them to get this started!
I agree about the location of the amphitheater. It would be much better in the multipurpose field location which is where it was in a previous concept. Also, I can't tell by the photos posted which version of the shoreline was chosen. I liked the one that had a variety of uses, including wild areas, beach areas and places to sit and hang out by the river. I'm also not all that crazy about the design of the tower. But, overall it's a big step forward.

BTW, what Facebook page are the design photos posted on. I've tried to find them on a number of city-related and designer-related pages without any luck.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:23 PM

137 posts, read 140,905 times
Another point about the location of the amphitheater. I have to wonder how much more traffic noise there will be from Greene Street where it's currently located in the plan? I assume the new location had something to do with the shorter distance from Greene Street to get vehicles to the stage area to load and unload, but it wasn't that much further from the First Street parking lot area. Perhaps the chosen location also had something to do with the proximity to the 500-year flood plain, although it really doesn't seem to be that different from the alternate location or another possibility is that the chosen location takes up less space and provides more open field space? It's hard to figure.

Old 11-14-2016, 04:04 PM

1,673 posts, read 2,041,419 times
Sports Complex Survey
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina