U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2016, 08:21 AM

1,676 posts, read 2,046,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Is anyone worried about an even bigger glut in the apartment market? Now that North Campus Crossing has pretty much failed.

I'm happy to see this revitalization of the urban core. There are many benefits of it. Especially the decrease in general traffic.
At least one (if not both) of the new city council members expressed concern about that very issue at a town meeting earlier this year. I anticipate the older, traditional apartment complexes in town - especially along 10th St - to become slum complexes, much like what King's Arms became before it was replaced by the Province.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 09:07 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,008,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
At least one (if not both) of the new city council members expressed concern about that very issue at a town meeting earlier this year. I anticipate the older, traditional apartment complexes in town - especially along 10th St - to become slum complexes, much like what King's Arms became before it was replaced by the Province.
Great Pics, Phil!!! They need some better sidewalks down there quick! The whole area is growing, but the streets are looking absolutely horrible. Hopefully once they realign all the roads and stuff down there, they will redo everything.

---------------

I think that there are still plenty of students that need housing in Greenville. ECU is still growing in numbers almost every year and still has a limited number of housing options on campus. North Campus Crossing was filled for years, before a change or two in management started it's downfall. I still think it would be filled pretty well if that didn't happen, even with it's far away location from Campus.

I think those complexes will eventually revamp and maybe even allow the public to start renting there. NCC could become corporate housing or offer specials to people working at the industrial park or for new Pitt county teachers looking for a cheap place to stay.

Last edited by michealbond; 11-29-2016 at 09:17 AM..

Old 11-29-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Great Pics, Phil!!! They need some better sidewalks down there quick! The whole area is growing, but the streets are looking absolutely horrible. Hopefully once they realign all the roads and stuff down there, they will redo everything.
Thanks! Yeah, I'd say the surface infrastructure is in abysmal shape. On the corner of the Ken's Furniture building there was a sidewalk stamp denoting the year 1916. It only recently was torn out as part of the bridge project. 100 years it was there! The west end has been dead for more than a quarter century, everything is worn down. Not quite back to seed, but...

Old 11-29-2016, 11:47 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,371,951 times
Two things...

1) In regards to Dunkin Donuts...I came up with 6 locations that make sense...1) New Wal-Mart center 2) Near Pitt CC 3) Near Hospital 4) Uptown 5) Near the Mall/Publix and 6) North Memorial Drive, near 264 interchange.

And, IMO there is actually a lack of places per capita to get coffee and I think DD is looking at that.

2) In terms of apartments, the Taft Ward complex tore down a few, the aforementioned Stratford Arms came down a few years ago, and the Province basically just replaced a bunch. As well, ECU has only added a few hundred beds on campus, even with all of the dorm reconstruction and biggest freshmen class ever.

Finally, I cant think of any other apartments that are being built in Greenville. So no market rate apartments. I think this construction uptown just makes sense for the overall growth of the City, not just ECU. And yes, you will see less students in some complexes further from campus. Hopefully a few more complexes do get redeveloped (rumor that College View was heading in that direction).

Old 11-29-2016, 01:04 PM

294 posts, read 272,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
(rumor that College View was heading in that direction).
Any idea what the redevelopment of College View would be? Mixed use or just retail/commercial? That could be a nice little pocket with Villa Verde there thriving and several existing buildings already adjacent.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Any idea what the redevelopment of College View would be? Mixed use or just retail/commercial? That could be a nice little pocket with Villa Verde there thriving and several existing buildings already adjacent.
Here was the excerpt from the DF early in Nov...

"*Approved a resolution of intent to close a portion of College View Drive off East 10th Street. The city received a request from College View of Greenville*LLC —*which owns the property along the section of College View Drive that will be closed — for*a*proposed redevelopment project. A public hearing on the closure will be held during the City Council’s Nov. 10 meeting"

After reviewing the agenda for the Nov 10th meeting, it appears a public hearing was not held. Probably the developer held off to get more info in place. Next meeting is Dec 5th.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:22 PM

210 posts, read 326,537 times
I would like to know what they are building across the road from new Walmart on 10th Street. I been hearing Zaxby's but haven't got it confirmed.

Old 11-30-2016, 06:19 AM

294 posts, read 272,747 times
Quote:
Here was the excerpt from the DF early in Nov...

"*Approved a resolution of intent to close a portion of College View Drive off East 10th Street. The city received a request from College View of Greenville*LLC —*which owns the property along the section of College View Drive that will be closed — for*a*proposed redevelopment project. A public hearing on the closure will be held during the City Council’s Nov. 10 meeting"

After reviewing the agenda for the Nov 10th meeting, it appears a public hearing was not held. Probably the developer held off to get more info in place. Next meeting is Dec 5th.
Thank you HP!

Old 11-30-2016, 07:58 AM

For the record, I share the view that the re-development of the 10th corridor is one of the most important priorities right now for the City of Greenville. Lots of focus has been on West Greenville, in order of priority I think it goes like this...

1) Downtown re-development...lots of success right now.

2) West Greenville/Dickinson Ave corridor...some successful projects on MLK/10 St connector...Dickinson still needs a ton of attention, especially from a streetscape point of view. But it does have some decorative art (rolling eyes).

3) 10th St corridor from ECU to Brook Valley. The street itself is god awful (but they are paving Arlington, go figure) and the "suicide lane" is so 25 years ago. The commercial vacancy rate goes up every year, and the apartments are 20 years past their expiration date (even the fly by night apts built in the 90's). There needs to be a big time plan in place and the College View re-development should be part of that overall plan. This is one of the most important corridors in Greenville and it looks worse and worse every year.

4) Evans St re-do to Arlington. Another "suicide lane" that needs to be done away with (really all the way to Gville Blvd). And I still like the original idea of shrinking down to 2 lane at 10th...heck do it at 14th with lighting, bike lanes, etc... to establish downtown. You could shrink down Charles to 2 lanes between 14th and 10th as well to give it more of a campus feel with tree's, etc...

5) College View Historic District area. This needs to be monitored consistently because of its age.

6) 14th St can be switched down to 2 lanes from the 10th connector to Charles, with bike lanes, lighting...its just not necessary for it to be 4 laned once the 10th St connector is done. It would improve the safety of it and could help make the intersection with Evans and Charles look better. I think the only section of 14th that needs to be 4 laned is between Gville Blvd and Firetower.

When the Mayor talks about spending money of road projects...he's 100% correct, Greenville's are not up to par and have been neglected seemingly waiting on the state to do anything.

Old 11-30-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
For the record, I share the view that the re-development of the 10th corridor is one of the most important priorities right now for the City of Greenville. Lots of focus has been on West Greenville, in order of priority I think it goes like this...

3) 10th St corridor from ECU to Brook Valley. The street itself is god awful (but they are paving Arlington, go figure) and the "suicide lane" is so 25 years ago. The commercial vacancy rate goes up every year, and the apartments are 20 years past their expiration date (even the fly by night apts built in the 90's). There needs to be a big time plan in place and the College View re-development should be part of that overall plan. This is one of the most important corridors in Greenville and it looks worse and worse every year.
Sounds like a familiar thought (p. 570 from a year-and-a-half ago)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
With 10th St soon to be the feature road in Greenville I wouldn't mind seeing a re-invention of 10th St from Elm St all the way down eastward through River Bluff apartments. Not a whole lot I'd like to see stay, other than a few random houses and Hastings Ford. Those old strip malls and ancient apartments will never be vital or attractive again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina