U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2016, 02:09 PM

181 posts, read 215,109 times

Advertisements

HP91
I think you're right on with needing to focus more on 10th street and eliminating the suicide lanes. Besides the obvious ridiculous concept of opposing traffic sharing a turning lane, it creates dangerous driving habits. I almost got hit head recently because someone turned onto Potertown from 10th and assume that the Turn lane going left FROM Porter to 10th was a suicide lane for everyone to use. And they got pissed at me?!? No surprise given the paint is worn and everyone thinks there is always a free for all suicide lane available for them to turn. Also, not the only time this false assumption has almost cause a head on collision when I had the right of way.

While I LOVE the idea of 2 lanes and bike lanes for 14th I'm not sure if the city would or even should every reduce lane availability. I guess I just don't have that much confidence in the 10th street corridor to creating that much efficiency, but I sure hope it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2016, 02:22 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,310,681 times
Are there any non-student apartments near downtown yet? There weren't any at all when I was there as a student almost 10 years ago.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:18 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,361,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Are there any non-student apartments near downtown yet? There weren't any at all when I was there as a student almost 10 years ago.
Most of the market rent stuff is renovations of older buildings, just reported recently that 6 are being added to the inventory on Pitt St (near Dickinson).

As I noted recently, there is hardly any non student apartments in all of Greenville being built right now.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:48 PM

5,300 posts, read 3,310,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Most of the market rent stuff is renovations of older buildings, just reported recently that 6 are being added to the inventory on Pitt St (near Dickinson).

As I noted recently, there is hardly any non student apartments in all of Greenville being built right now.
That's really a shame, but I guess Greenville is already flooded with rentals. There are apartments on just about every corner.

I guess there isn't a market for higher end apartments for professionals.

Old 11-30-2016, 04:57 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,361,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
That's really a shame, but I guess Greenville is already flooded with rentals. There are apartments on just about every corner.

I guess there isn't a market for higher end apartments for professionals.
I think there might be downtown AFTER some of these complexes are built, the theater re-opens, the Hilton gets built and more and more commercial space is utilized, making downtown a destination place to live. The Sidewalk development is to have 60 market rate apartments likely specifically targeting that market. And the continued re-development of the tobacco warehouse district could see some cool residential space added.

On another note...the next section of the Green Mill Run Greenway opened today...connecting Evans to Charles near the Arlington/Evans intersection.

http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=746

As far as I can tell, this is the first section to open since 2011.

Old 11-30-2016, 07:19 PM

29 posts, read 27,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post

There are a lot of apartments going up off of Allen Road by Lake Lake Foest Elementary. I am assuming they are targeting young medical professionals. There are also apartments going up off of Evans street at the Regency Boulevard intersection. I am not sure who they would target in that location. It is fairly close to PCC but I am not sure the average college student would be attracted to that section of Evans Street. On the other hand, the buildings look kind of bland and don't look like anything a young professional would be interested in.

Old 11-30-2016, 11:21 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,041,977 times
Marketing plans for historic Greenville site could be economic catalyst

Old 12-01-2016, 08:47 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,041,977 times
Greenville getting closer to great economic development in sports

Old 12-02-2016, 08:20 AM

20 posts, read 29,446 times
Does anyone know what is going up on Arlington & Mulberry? Looks like office or storefront, but it is hard to tell.

Old 12-02-2016, 08:53 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,004,410 times
ECU receives development grant

Development grant validates ENC innovation efforts - Daily Reflector

Quote:
It might not have stirred much attention in some quarters of Greenville, but East Carolina University’s announcement last week that its Office of Innovation and Economic Development will receive nearly $500,000 for a project to accelerate and expand commercialization is important news for this city and eastern North Carolina.

The grant from the U.S. Commerce Department’s Economic Development Administration will be used to “support ECU in utilizing a proof- of- concept project (showing that an idea works) to catalyze and expand commercialization (turning university-born ideas into commercially successful opportunities) leading to a vibrant regional innovation & technology ecosystem.”

All of those terms are important economic concepts, but the last part of the Commerce Department’s message is what even those not directly connected to the ECU project should focus on: “... a vibrant regional innovation and technology ecosystem.”

ECU’s Office of Innovation and Economic Development project, called “eNC Innovates!” is intended to provide a roadmap of the science, technology and innovation needs of advanced manufacturing organizations (industrial/military) with the intent of rapidly advancing technology and manufacturing readiness levels. The project will encourage, support and foster entrepreneurship and new business creation.

The project intends to develop an integrated economic development ecosystem that connects industrial and military organizations and entrepreneurs to resources, directly influencing a cultural change that leads to new commercialization, entrepreneurial ventures, research, and digital economy job and wealth creation.

In simpler terms, this project provides a working model for what Pitt County’s public and private sector economic development leaders have believed for years should be the new face of the region’s economy — its development brand, so to speak. It demonstrates how that goal should and can be most successfully achieved, by capitalizing on ECU’s deep pool of scientific, technological and business talent and resources and connecting it to the wider — and potentially growing — industrial and business community.

“We’re excited that this grant will allow us to form talented, multidisciplinary teams of ECU students and faculty mentors to discover new entrepreneurial opportunities and address innovation challenges for our regional partners,” said Joe Gaines, director of industry and economic development at ECU.

The “innovation” portion of the statement is important, not just because it qualified eNC Innovates for selection from a pool of more than 215 applicants serving urban and rural areas across the U.S., but also because innovation is the magnet that attracts businesses that want to benefit from the ideas and available talent that innovation creates.

“The (project) is intended to stimulate creation of new products and processes, leading to commercialization and an economic system that creates wealth and jobs, supporting ECU’s goal of promoting regional transformation,” said Ted Morris, associate vice chancellor for innovation and economic development.

Who can argue against that?
Found this article in the opinion section. Not sure why there wasn't a bigger story on this?!? This seems pretty big to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina