Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 09:23 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,288 times

Advertisements

Not directly Greenville related, but Wilson is getting in on the downtown redevelopment wagon too.

Groundbreaking held for Wilson's big redevelopment project

90 apartments & retail / restaurant space. Looks pretty good, and is a good sign of growth in Eastern NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 02:45 PM

192 posts, read 281,068 times
What exactly do they mean "a multi-use path that would be wider for cyclists and pedestrians;" when they're talking about 10street? I really hope that isn't referring to a sidewalk. It seems as though they got the request for bike paths but that is a lot different than a sidewalk for bikes, which is WAY more dangerous than a bike path on the road.

Old 12-07-2016, 04:55 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
What exactly do they mean "a multi-use path that would be wider for cyclists and pedestrians;" when they're talking about 10street? I really hope that isn't referring to a sidewalk. It seems as though they got the request for bike paths but that is a lot different than a sidewalk for bikes, which is WAY more dangerous than a bike path on the road.
10 St would be ideal for a multi-use path because of the number of pedestrians/bikes, and is much wider than a sidewalk. Most cities are building these as alternative transportation OFF of the city streets, which is the safest way. Wilmington utilizes this on its cross city trail, specifically along Independence Blvd, going right by the mall.

A Path on 10th St that went all the way to Oxford Rd could connect to the Greenway system. There is usually some federal funds around for stuff like that.

Old 12-08-2016, 03:46 AM

Alcohol at the Town Common, Firetower Rd widening and Evans widening to be discussed at City Council meeting Thurs...

Council to discuss alcohol at Town Common - Daily Reflector

This reads that there will be bike lanes on the Firetower project, but NO sidewalks. Its kind of comical, because every article references the corridor as a highly RESIDENTIAL corridor, why would you not have pedestrian improvements? If I were the City I would pay the additional cost to add sidewalks to the City side of the project for the purpose of connecting the neighborhoods on their side, some of which are multi-family or fairly dense zoning. It would be much cheaper to build them now then to retrofit them later. In fact, as mentioned with the multi-use path on 10th St, why not reduce the bike lane on the city side and install a multi-use path on the city side that would also work for pedestrians.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:25 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,259,536 times
Greenville Fire & Rescue recommends 2 new stations to keep up with demand

The first station would be built on Bayswater Rd. off of Firetower Rd. The fire truck is already purchased.

The second station, which is still likely three to five years off, would be built on Frog Level Rd. near Davenport Farms Rd.

Old 12-08-2016, 06:47 AM

112 posts, read 136,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Greenville Fire & Rescue recommends 2 new stations to keep up with demand

The first station would be built on Bayswater Rd. off of Firetower Rd. The fire truck is already purchased.

The second station, which is still likely three to five years off, would be built on Frog Level Rd. near Davenport Farms Rd.
The increase in calls over the last 2 years is pretty wild and shows how much busier our city is becoming.

YR 2014 - 12,091 Calls
YR 2016 - 16,985 Calls and the year is not even over

That is pretty substantial for a city with only 6 Stations. They also mention Uptown as an area of concern due to the future population density and construction. We may end up seeing 2 Fire Houses in the uptown area, similar to Charlotte with Stations 1 & 4.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Alcohol at the Town Common, Firetower Rd widening and Evans widening to be discussed at City Council meeting Thurs...

Council to discuss alcohol at Town Common - Daily Reflector

This reads that there will be bike lanes on the Firetower project, but NO sidewalks. Its kind of comical, because every article references the corridor as a highly RESIDENTIAL corridor, why would you not have pedestrian improvements? If I were the City I would pay the additional cost to add sidewalks to the City side of the project for the purpose of connecting the neighborhoods on their side, some of which are multi-family or fairly dense zoning. It would be much cheaper to build them now then to retrofit them later. In fact, as mentioned with the multi-use path on 10th St, why not reduce the bike lane on the city side and install a multi-use path on the city side that would also work for pedestrians.
About time they look at the town commons alcohol policy. If I remember correctly, they approved alcohol (for special events) at other parks, but for some reason left out the best park in the city to host events at.

---------

Yea, the DOT is making a mistake about not putting up sidewalks on this firetower extension. I looked up the presentations for the project, and it doesn't look like a sidewalk will be included. Maybe that will change after input from the community?

---------

The "multi-use path" is a great idea for the entire city, IMO. They're wide and will keep bikes and pedestrians off these crazy busy roads in Greenville.

Last edited by michealbond; 12-08-2016 at 07:19 AM..

Old 12-08-2016, 09:15 AM

I located the presentation the UNC school of Government gave to the city about the Imperial Warehouse site:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o4lk81rfq...esentation.pdf

Not much meat to it, but they give an example of something they worked on with the city of Wilmington to redevelop an old parking deck on the waterfront. Looks like more will be coming from them early next year with a possible site design for the Imperial site.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:56 AM

192 posts, read 281,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
10 St would be ideal for a multi-use path because of the number of pedestrians/bikes, and is much wider than a sidewalk. Most cities are building these as alternative transportation OFF of the city streets, which is the safest way. Wilmington utilizes this on its cross city trail, specifically along Independence Blvd, going right by the mall.
I'm not much in favor of something like that. For cyclists looking to commute and use their bike as transportation, these types of paths are practically worthless because you have to stop at EVERY cross-road or risk being hit by a car. They are FAR more dangerous than being on the road without any bike lane. If the path was able to be a large network throughout the city than was able to avoid crossing paths with roads every 1/4 mile then it might be helpful. The cost and time to do that is impractical. I think most people that want these types of paths never use them for transportation, but just want cyclist of the road because they are inconvenient to them. I have seen them done very well but typically they are in VERY large cities that put a large emphasis on these making their city healthy. Greenville is really stepping up but it has a ways to go. Until we can get caught up on just doing basic city planning and maintenance with the roads, a city-wide multi-use path for pedestrians and cyclist will likely be a failed project. Probably because they never do a city-wide path but ONE path next to one road, which is a waste.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
I'm not much in favor of something like that. For cyclists looking to commute and use their bike as transportation, these types of paths are practically worthless because you have to stop at EVERY cross-road or risk being hit by a car. They are FAR more dangerous than being on the road without any bike lane. If the path was able to be a large network throughout the city than was able to avoid crossing paths with roads every 1/4 mile then it might be helpful. The cost and time to do that is impractical. I think most people that want these types of paths never use them for transportation, but just want cyclist of the road because they are inconvenient to them. I have seen them done very well but typically they are in VERY large cities that put a large emphasis on these making their city healthy. Greenville is really stepping up but it has a ways to go. Until we can get caught up on just doing basic city planning and maintenance with the roads, a city-wide multi-use path for pedestrians and cyclist will likely be a failed project. Probably because they never do a city-wide path but ONE path next to one road, which is a waste.
I understand where you are coming from, but I think IN THIS CASE it makes sense. For example, in Wilmington part of the cross city trail goes along the Randall Parkway corridor and onto UNCW's campus...along Randall Parkway is probably about 8 student housing neighborhoods and that section of the multi-use path is highly used by both pedestrians and bikes, getting them off the road and onto campus.

10th St is the same, IMO...its one student housing neighborhood after the other, on both sides of 10th St. Leading to and from ECU.

In the Wilmington example, the land along the multi-use path became more valuable, and much of it was either developed or re-developed ONCE THE PATH WAS BUILT.

To me, the connection to the Greenway system on 10th St makes it a no brainer, because it does function as a system to get around town. I could start at Hastings Ford and get to Rose High School on a bike much faster than I could in a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina