U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2016, 12:06 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times

Advertisements

Dr. Bret. I do understand where you're coming from. I think it's important to give people options to run & bike across the city without feeling like you're going to lose your life. It certainly would be nice to bike across the city to get to work. But until the greenways/bike lanes are significantly upgraded, you're looking at a very scary commute. Even with a 5ft. bike lane, there's no guarantee that cars will stop in this city.

The only way a biker would truly feel safe enough for a long commute would be if the city built a raised greenway across all major roads in the city (complete with on/off ramps)That won't ever happen.

In my opinion, a multi use path may not be the BEST fit for you personally, but I believe that you'd pick the MUP over no bike lane if you're trying to get home from work on Greenville Blvd. I know I'd take my chances stopping at every crosswalk (Or at least slowing down) on these multi use paths.

You probably won't ever be able to feel completely comfortable biking to work in Greenville. Not even in 30 or 40 years from now. No matter all the upgrades they do, there will always be Greenville Blvd and 10th street and Memorial Dr traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 07:17 AM

181 posts, read 214,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Dr. Bret. I do understand where you're coming from. I think it's important to give people options to run & bike across the city without feeling like you're going to lose your life. It certainly would be nice to bike across the city to get to work. But until the greenways/bike lanes are significantly upgraded, you're looking at a very scary commute. Even with a 5ft. bike lane, there's no guarantee that cars will stop in this city.

The only way a biker would truly feel safe enough for a long commute would be if the city built a raised greenway across all major roads in the city (complete with on/off ramps)That won't ever happen.

In my opinion, a multi use path may not be the BEST fit for you personally, but I believe that you'd pick the MUP over no bike lane if you're trying to get home from work on Greenville Blvd. I know I'd take my chances stopping at every crosswalk (Or at least slowing down) on these multi use paths.

You probably won't ever be able to feel completely comfortable biking to work in Greenville. Not even in 30 or 40 years from now. No matter all the upgrades they do, there will always be Greenville Blvd and 10th street and Memorial Dr traffic.

I agree on pretty much everything except "taking my chances stopping at every crosswalk". At that point, you go from (at least for me) a 10 mile 40 minute commute mostly on Firetower, to a 90 to 120 minute commute or more. That's just not reasonable. It only takes me about 17-22 minutes by car, sometimes longer if I catch a lot of lights.

Honestly the lack of a designated bike lane is not as much of an issue and just having adequate room. i.e. more than one lane and the overall congestion of the roads that didn't seem to be that bad just 2-4 years ago. Riding on areas like the section of Firetower that becomes one lane is typically the only time I feel "unsafe" on. The law requires 4' clearance and that either never happens or they do and end up playing chicken oncoming traffic. 30-50% of the time on oncoming care is forces to slow down The rest of the ride isn't that bad. If it is, it's as a result of incompetence, selfishness or just plain hatred, nothing a bike lane would eliminate.

After hearing more comments, I think a MUP may actually be helpful for a lot more people than I realized. i.e. students. My biggest concern is that the rude or dangerous drivers will proliferate if they get the impression that cyclist don't belong on the road because they have a path, and that is simply not true. The best bang for the city's dollar may be to just focus on overall better roads for cars and then educating people what cyclists rights are. The "Share the road" signs aren't cutting it and just furthers the idea that motorist have priority to the roads and it's their choice to share it or not, instead of it belonging to all of us.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:44 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times
Dr. Bret,

It sounds like the improvements on Firetower will help you on your commute then.

---

Looks like the city council will now consider allowing the sale of alcohol at the Town common...but won't officially vote on it until a meeting next month. I'm sure it will pass, especially seeing how they passed it for other parks back in 2014, but not the TC. This will be important, especially once the TC is redone to feature a new amphitheater & civic spaces.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:36 AM

105 posts, read 181,567 times
probably been talked about but... What is being built on Arlington towards Red Banks Road on the right side (coming from Fire Tower)?

Thanks!

Old 12-09-2016, 10:38 AM

293 posts, read 270,638 times
It will be interesting to see the traffic situation evolve in Greenville. With the bypass, the firetower project (on both ends), the evans street project, increase emphasis on greenway and the new GTAC. A lot of moving parts that should see collective results.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:18 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,040,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPLANNER View Post
probably been talked about but... What is being built on Arlington towards Red Banks Road on the right side (coming from Fire Tower)?

Thanks!
I'm almost certain it's a branch of First Bank.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:26 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,040,411 times
The Carmike in Washington has closed permanently.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:28 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
The Carmike in Washington has closed permanently.
Saw that the small Sears in Washington is closing as well.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:30 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,037 times
Also noticed something being built behind the shopping strip on Firetower near the Memorial intersection (across from PCC).

Old 12-09-2016, 01:55 PM

112 posts, read 102,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Also noticed something being built behind the shopping strip on Firetower near the Memorial intersection (across from PCC).
I know CarMax will be built on Whitley Drive, I wonder if they are already starting construction?

I noticed there are a few things happening on Bayswater Road as well. The lot beside Champions is being worked on, I'm not sure what is going there. A lot beside Morgan Printers is being worked on. Finally, the large lot beside the school will be Ignite church. Concept video below. Future GFR Fire Station 7 to be built on Bayswater Rd as well.

https://www.facebook.com/ignitechurc...PAGES_TIMELINE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina