U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2016, 03:50 PM

21 posts, read 24,866 times

Advertisements

Aldi Store on 10th Street confirmation.

Last edited by Gvillejb; 12-29-2016 at 04:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2016, 05:23 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=6718

Do you like this circle for Greenville?
That's an OLLLD map. The Southern Portion needs to HUG Winterville, likewise for the eastern part with Greenville.

DOT should've bought land back in 2000 for this. We don't need a loop that large

Old 12-30-2016, 04:29 AM

4,634 posts, read 3,044,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
That's an OLLLD map. The Southern Portion needs to HUG Winterville, likewise for the eastern part with Greenville.

DOT should've bought land back in 2000 for this. We don't need a loop that large
That loop is almost as weird looking as I-275 around Cincinnati, OH.

I agree that a loop that large isn't needed. The only part of that loop I could see happening (other than the SW Bypass) is the new terrain routing linking the existing US-264 northern bypass with US-13 as part of the proposed interstate link to Bethel. It would be difficult to upgrade the existing US-13 interchange to a free-flowing interchange.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:14 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,004,031 times
Honestly, it's not that bad.

Development is already moving east towards Simpson, by the time the road would be built, development would take most of the available land for it on the western side of Simspon. Maybe you move the loop to run on the west side of Simpson, then run the southern portion between Winterville & Ayden. That leaves the Northeast Part that should definitely be shrunk. I assume that would be the last part done.

I'd love to have a limited access highway in Greenville running basically from a portion of the 264 bypass (between the 33 and 43 exit) straight into downtown (with exits on Memorial by the airport & Greene street). Maybe even extending to the other side of the 264 bypass and connecting it to the 33/Washington exit/North Campus Crossing intersection. Of course it would be cutting through wetlands and swamp and a nice chunk of River Park North, so it's probably not that feasible. But something similar to the MLK parkway in Wilmington would be great, IMO.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:18 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,004,031 times
Bethel food hub bringing food & jobs:

New food hub to bring jobs, healthier eating to Bethel

Quote:
BETHEL, N.C. (WNCT) – New jobs and healthier eating?

A new food hub coming to Bethel hopes to bring all of that and more.

Healthier eating is about to get a whole lot easier for the rural area.

Thanks to the USDA and the Coalition for Healthier Eating, residents will have fresh food right in their neighborhood.

“At one time, we were thriving but now we have none,” said Linda Wall, Bethel resident, who’s lived in the town for forty years. She added that, in that time, she has seen a lot of change in her grocery options in town. “There was a supermarket for a number of years and, when we first moved here in 1976, I think there were three grocery stores.”

Right now, she shops at the Dollar General. But soon she’ll have another option.

“We needed to make sure that people have local access to what the farmers are producing in their area,” said Maxine White, Executive Director, Coalition for Healthier Eating.

A new food hub welcoming local farmers and healthier organic foods is under construction.

White said this will change the game for this rural town, “With the help of the USDA funding this project it enables us to lower the prices.”

And it will boost the town’s employment.

“When our door opens, we will be creating 40 jobs that will give people in this area an opportunity to at least work some place,” she said.

Plus, it will offer them a chance to live healthier.

“People are now feeding their entire families from fast food places; breakfast, lunch, and dinner,” she added. “We will be packaging our product in such a way that it’s mindless in terms of menu planning.”

Wall said it’s just in time, “I think this can only mean good things for all the citizens of Bethel. I’m looking forward to it!”

White said, once employees at the hub have worked there for more than three years, they will offer a program with rural development for home ownership.
--------------------

Sale possible for downtown Farmville building:

http://wnct.com/2016/12/29/sale-poss...ille-building/

Quote:
FARMVILLE, N.C. (WNCT) – A historic building in the town of Farmville may be sold in the next few days.

9 On Your Side first reported on the controversial building last year. Some community members wanted to see the structure torn down while others wanted it restored.

The town received an offer from a company based in Greenville called Uptown Properties for $150,000.

Town manager David Hodgkins said the owners would need to update it to historic standards, “Restored, revenue producing for the town, and also provide some sort of services or business that would be of interest to our residents and visitors of town.”

Before it is officially sold, the Farmville board of commissioners has to approve the offer.

Hodgkins said it will take years before the building is re-opened.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:12 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Honestly, it's not that bad.

Development is already moving east towards Simpson, by the time the road would be built, development would take most of the available land for it on the western side of Simspon. Maybe you move the loop to run on the west side of Simpson, then run the southern portion between Winterville & Ayden. That leaves the Northeast Part that should definitely be shrunk. I assume that would be the last part done.

I'd love to have a limited access highway in Greenville running basically from a portion of the 264 bypass (between the 33 and 43 exit) straight into downtown (with exits on Memorial by the airport & Greene street). Maybe even extending to the other side of the 264 bypass and connecting it to the 33/Washington exit/North Campus Crossing intersection. Of course it would be cutting through wetlands and swamp and a nice chunk of River Park North, so it's probably not that feasible. But something similar to the MLK parkway in Wilmington would be great, IMO.
Yeah, Simpson will end up being "inside" of the belt, there is no way to run it west of Simpson will all of the development south/east of Greenville.

I think the 10th St connector will end up being that downtown corridor...with the bridge you have no light at Dickinson which will help flow. In reality 10th St doesn't have a ton of lights considering its length from Memorial near the hospital to Greenville Blvd at Hastings Ford.

I think a priority stretch in terms of the loop will be widening 43 through Hollywood Xroads to wherever the loop intersects. That's a dangerous stretch right now that will get worse. Greenville should be adding the loop corridor from 264 to 43 to the TIP now if its not already (it took over 25 years for the SW bypass as the #1 priority). Get a corridor designated before development keeps gobbling up the farmland.

Then fill in the gap between 43 and the SW bypass later as the next step...south of Worthington Rd.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
But something similar to the MLK parkway in Wilmington would be great, IMO.
Fun fact: Wilmington once floated the idea of having the MLK Parkway become an extension of I-40, bringing it closer to downtown and ending at the 3rd Street/Isabel Holmes Bridge intersection. It didn't get any traction and was soon dropped.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I think the 10th St connector will end up being that downtown corridor...with the bridge you have no light at Dickinson which will help flow. In reality 10th St doesn't have a ton of lights considering its length from Memorial near the hospital to Greenville Blvd at Hastings Ford.
The fact that the 10th St connector is essentially lined up with Future I-587's eastern terminus doesn't hurt, either. Straight shot for traffic coming to and from the interstate.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:53 PM

2,078 posts, read 5,044,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Think of the Greenville Metro area as encompassing all of Winterville, Ayden and all of the way over to Simpson. That is what the planners are doing. Greenville and surrounding towns will continue to grow. Perhaps one day they may have to build another beltline even further out, like they did with I-440 and I-540 around Raleigh.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:10 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Think of the Greenville Metro area as encompassing all of Winterville, Ayden and all of the way over to Simpson. That is what the planners are doing. Greenville and surrounding towns will continue to grow. Perhaps one day they may have to build another beltline even further out, like they did with I-440 and I-540 around Raleigh.
But I was thinking the people on the Simpson side need a quicker, more direct route to the Hospital/264 area. Having to go from Simpson to Ayden, then back up just seems unnecessarily large.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina