U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2017, 12:49 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times

Advertisements

True. It looks like the Allegiant air flights from Asheville have flights to a DC/Baltimore area airport and NYC area airport, along with Orlando and Tampa bay area flights. I know Asheville is much more of a tourist destination than Greenville, but I think having at least a flight or two to the DC and Orlando area would be beneficial. Maybe a flight directly to Atlanta.

I haven't heard anything else about the hotel near ECU. I"m sure it's still in the planning stages along with the future ECU performing arts center near the town commons. Looks like the last thing i see was from last July lining out the things ECU has planned for by 2020.

Vision 2020: ECU fuels city's growth - Daily Reflector

No telling exactly when that will start.

I"m ready to hear more about what they are planning for the Imperial Tobacco site and surrounding area. I think there was a survey a few weeks ago and those results should be coming out soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2017, 01:47 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
DC, Atlanta and Orlando would all be perfect for flights to PGV. Betting that would cut that percentage leaving town to below 50%.

People want direct flights, that is why they are going to Raleigh. Layovers both ways in Charlotte take the same amount of time as driving to Raleigh...add in more flexibility of times, and prices being a little better...and you didn't need a study to tell you folks were driving over. The fact that people are going to New Bern should tell you how good the actual leadership has been at PGV...that's embarrassing. The study is useful in that it shows how many in the area are actually flying.

What PGV needs to do is work with the city to improve its surroundings, its landscape into downtown Greenville (approving flea markets isn't helping that) and its services and also try to get into the OBX market with travel deals. It could be a viable airport, but the current director doesn't have any vision...they need reports to do anything.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:51 PM

293 posts, read 270,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
What PGV needs to do is work with the city to improve its surroundings, its landscape into downtown Greenville (approving flea markets isn't helping that)
My exact thoughts when I read about the approval of the flea market....

Old 01-13-2017, 01:15 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,040,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Their lease was not renewed, has nothing to do with the merger with AMC. The owner of the theater is in negotiations with an independent theater company to move in.

Also, the Piggly Wiggly in that same shopping center is closing around the end of the year, new owner of the building raised the rent and they aren't willing to pay the asking price.
Re: Washington Movie Theater, etc.

http://m.thewashingtondailynews.com/...icket-cinemas/

The now former Piggly Wiggly was purchased by Food Lion, who will be opening a new location there. Not clear if Food Lion is having three Washington locations or moving out of their store on the west side of town.

Old 01-13-2017, 04:33 AM

4,631 posts, read 3,038,523 times
City manager Barbara Lipscomb is retiring. August 31 will be her last day.

Greenville city manager to retire - Daily Reflector

Old 01-13-2017, 05:20 AM

4,631 posts, read 3,038,523 times
Some residents worry about impact of project widening Evans Street

The city council is also considering having a sports complex built.

http://wnct.com/2017/01/12/greenvill...rs-at-meeting/

Old 01-13-2017, 07:22 AM

293 posts, read 270,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I wonder if ECU is looking at this aquatics center as a new facility for its swim teams? They need and deserve one. It could be a win win for town and gown.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:36 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times

Interesting comments here...

Quote:
Mary Snow Hill is one of those residents. She’s asking DOT to rethink parts of the project.

“I don’t see any reason to add a bike lane to Evans Street extension. I know that we want to be pedestrian friendly in Greenville. I get that. But we can still include the sidewalks and not encroach so much on our neighborhood,” Hill said.

After hearing about resident’s efforts to talk DOT out of bike lanes, Tony Parker decided to fight back.

“People depend upon sidewalks and bike lanes to get to class, to get to work. There’s a dignity issue here. We have people who are forced to walk on muddy paths or in the street and all they want to do is go to work. They want to go to work, punch a clock, earn some money, walk home, and they can’t,” Parker said.
I agree with Mr. Parker here. I understand that residents are upset about things encroaching their space,but they had to have known over the last 10 years that this was eventually going to happen. Sidewalks & bike lanes are needed all over city for the use of . It's bigger than the few hundreds of dollars each family put down to help build some mound of dirt to keep traffic noise low.

-----------------------

Quote:
The city council is also considering having a sports complex built.

Greenville considers developing sports complex, honors first responders at meeting | WNCT
An aquatics center would be a fine addition. Greensboro built one a few years ago and appears to be doing well with the number of events each year.

Maybe Greenville can do a little bit of everything. A small competition ready aquatics center, a baseball/soccer/lacrosse/football field or two, and a small festival park & amphitheater. Put it on old 264 west towards Farmville near the future SW bypass (for easy highway access) and call it a day.

Last edited by michealbond; 01-13-2017 at 08:59 AM..

Old 01-13-2017, 08:54 AM

112 posts, read 102,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
City manager Barbara Lipscomb is retiring. August 31 will be her last day.

Greenville city manager to retire - Daily Reflector
I'll reserve my comments...

Old 01-13-2017, 08:56 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
A ECU/City partnership for an aquatics center is a great idea. ECU could keep its current facility for practice.

ECU could provide land for it next to Stratford Arms and utilize the existing parking lots of Stratford for the facility....that would be across the street from campus, but also be a central location. The City could provide some funding for the facility and be able to use the facility. This is a model many places are using to success, Louisville's Yum Center is a perfect example of getting a great facility in the right part of town for both public and private use. PNC Arena is another example, although the location is lacking.

At some point, the City/ECU could partner for a replacement to Minges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina