U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2017, 05:11 AM

4,651 posts, read 3,051,271 times

Advertisements

Town Common costs give council pause - Daily Reflector
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 09:00 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,363,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Maybe its just me but $2.5 million for a signature project and public restrooms for the signature park in the City seems about right. The playground cost like 875K, the City got that for free.

And scale back the bathrooms? Isn't there an amphitheater there and plans for a better one? Aren't you going to need MORE bathrooms?

Typical elected official stuff that no one has the balls to pull the trigger when it comes to spending public money to create quality public spaces.

Old 01-14-2017, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
And scale back the bathrooms? Isn't there an amphitheater there and plans for a better one? Aren't you going to need MORE bathrooms?
Yeah, that had me scratching my head as well.

Quote:
Typical elected official stuff that no one has the balls to pull the trigger when it comes to spending public money to create quality public spaces.
Yep. S.S.D.D.

Old 01-14-2017, 05:51 PM

181 posts, read 185,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
When I was a student many moons ago, the Natatorium was ALWAYS full. ECU Swimming & Diving, Clases for Swimming, SCUBA. Local teams using it.

A University/City pool would definitely be a good thing. Especially somewhere near ECU.
ECU does have a really nice swimming facility in its Rec Center on top of Minges, and so the majority of those classes have moved over there. There's also the new Aquaventure in Winterville. So, a new aquatic center would be an addition on top of those, just something to keep in mind.

Old 01-16-2017, 04:32 AM

Wonderful addition: Council approves purchase of property for park - Daily Reflector

Office of Innovation and Economic Development awarded grant of nearly $500,000 - Daily Reflector

Old 01-16-2017, 07:18 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,164 times
Quote:
Maybe its just me but $2.5 million for a signature project and public restrooms for the signature park in the City seems about right. The playground cost like 875K, the City got that for free.

I certainly am surprised to hear Allen Thomas say that the projects need to be scaled back. Also, from the article, it appears that the council was presented with the plan back in November about this. Did the architecture firm not give them any range for the project? I'm sure they did. If not, how is that not one of the first questions you ask after the presentation??

The bathrooms do not need to be scaled back. But I can see them trying to take out the trees and/or the garden walk to the river. Part of me believes they will take another look at the tower itself.

Greenville needs landmarks. This can be the start of that. 1.5 mil for just the tower does seem pricey. However, it should be done and you just have to make sure that the area will be used frequently for it to be worth the price.

---------

Side Note: Uptown Brewing Company states they will be open by the end of the week.

Also, Breweries now allowed in Winterville.

http://www.reflector.com/News/2017/0...inteville.html

Last edited by michealbond; 01-16-2017 at 08:27 AM..

Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 AM

112 posts, read 103,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post

------

Side Note: Uptown Brewing Company states they will be open by the end of the week.

Also, Breweries now allowed in Winterville.

Breweries, craft beer outlets OKd in Winteville - Daily Reflector
Thank god... I am so glad that Greenville and surrounding areas are finally getting rid of all of the good ole boy restrictions.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:53 PM

36 posts, read 27,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Drummer View Post
Thank god... I am so glad that Greenville and surrounding areas are finally getting rid of all of the good ole boy restrictions.
Some of the worrisome comments from council members were quite amusing. Happy to see this pass. Would be great to see something downtown - craft beverage (coffee, beer, wine) businesses really draw people to city centers throughout the country.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:40 AM

293 posts, read 271,436 times
Quote:

As long as they don't table the project and three years from now pay for another study.... rinse, repeat....

Old 01-17-2017, 08:22 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshSchaef View Post
Some of the worrisome comments from council members were quite amusing. Happy to see this pass. Would be great to see something downtown - craft beverage (coffee, beer, wine) businesses really draw people to city centers throughout the country.

I found this one particularly amusing.

Quote:
This was a concern of planning board member Margie Crawford, who questioned how many breweries were expected to come to town and the number of problems that would come with them.
“We are a small town with a good reputation. Our crime is not bad. What will this bring in? It is alcohol. Are people going to drink at the brewery and then walk down the street and cause a ruckus?” Crawford asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
As long as they don't table the project and three years from now pay for another study.... rinse, repeat....
Exactly. I understand the TC is a huge deal for the city. and they want to get it right and within a budget, but they have got to make a commitment at some point. Most of this TC stuff should have been handled a decade ago. They started several years ago and have gone through phase after phase of working on this plan, just to go back to work on it some more. It's time to get it done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina