U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 05:23 AM

4,678 posts, read 3,070,160 times

Advertisements

Council focuses on pedestrian bridge, Town Common spending - Daily Reflector
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 11:27 AM

112 posts, read 103,157 times
I haven't been able to find anything from this meeting that addressed the Fire Department like the mayor said they would? The article below made it seem like that was a top priority?

Greenville City Council calls special meeting to address fire protection

Old 01-29-2017, 07:01 PM

112 posts, read 103,157 times
Blackbeard Coffee Roasters are opening a location downtown!
https://www.facebook.com/Blackbeardr...732746923569:0

Old 01-30-2017, 06:23 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,006,674 times
Ayden Food Processing center moves forward:

Food processing center plans move forward - Daily Reflector

Quote:
AYDEN — Work to plan for the proposed regional food processing center in Ayden are moving forward with the selection of a contractor to draw up documents needed for the town to apply for grant funding.

The Ayden Board of Commissioners unanimously approved Jan. 9 a memorandum of understanding with Origin Farms Consulting of Kansas City, Mo., to create a business concept, feasibility assessment and business plan for the project.
The total cost for Origin Farms’ work will be $39,000, which will be paid for from a $100,000 allocation given to the town by the N.C. General Assembly to support the project.

“I think this is something we honestly need to do,” said Mayor Pro-Tem Donald Skinner. “We need to move Ayden forward … and I would really like to thank Representative Susan Martin … she was the one who got us the $100,000 from the state, so it is not costing the town of Ayden any money whatsoever.”

Origin Farms is projected to begin work this month, complete the business concept by Feb. 28, complete the feasibility assessment by March 30 and complete the business plan by April 30.

The business concept “will detail proposed revenue streams for the proposed center, as well as propose an appropriate legal structure and operating structure,” according to Origin Farms’ proposal to the town.

The feasibility assessment will follow U.S. Department of Agriculture guidelines, which include an assessment of the current market for the center’s services, potential clients to take part in the center, technical aspects of the center, the

management services needed to run the center, and the overall financial feasibility of the center, according to the proposal.
Finally, the business plan will “include a summary of the project and business concept, the proposed revenue stream, a review of the market and a summary of the economic impact,” according to the proposal.

These documents to be created by Origin Farms will be needed when the town decides to apply for grant funding from the U.S. Economic Development Administration or EDA.

The town previously submitted a pre-application to the EDA for a 24,000-square-foot food processing center estimated to cost $5.87 million.

The board decided in April 2016 to delay submitting the full grant application until the scope and cost of the proposed food processing center could be better defined and plans, such as the feasibility study and business plan, could be completed.
The proposed center would serve as a regional food processing hub with the space and equipment needed for regional food producers to start commercial-scale food processing and packaging for fresh-cut produce, such as greens, vegetables and nuts, as well as other value-added products, such as sauces, pickles and juices, according to an economic impact analysis prepared by Shepherd Research LLC of Cary.

The proposed center has been projected to bring up to 225 new jobs to the region and increase food sales by $80 million, according to that analysis.

The town has already entered into an interlocal agreement with Pitt County to provide land in the Worthington Industrial Park for the center if the town receives funding in the form of an EDA grant.

Because a grant from the EDA would require a 50 percent match, town leaders have also expressed the hope that they could secure additional funds in partnerships with the county, state and other regional agencies.

In addition to approving the memorandum of understanding with Origin Farms, the board also approved a plan to transfer the $100,000 allocation from the General Assembly into the town’s accounts. The money is now being held by the N.C. Department of Commerce, and the town will be required to provide documentation of how the funds are being used before it will be transferred. In the meantime, the town will pay Origin Farms from the town fund balance, according to Ayden Manager Steve Harrell.

The plan approved by the board includes a formal request that the department of commerce transfer the funds to the town, authorization for Mayor Steve Tripp to execute an agreement to transfer the funds and authorization to use town funds to pay Origin Farms until the funds are received from the department of commerce.

The board also authorized the town to enter into an agreement with the N.C. East Alliance to oversee Origin Farms’ work on the plans for the center.

“They’ve done this kind of thing in the past, and it puts it in the hands of somebody who has the expertise to oversee this,” Harrell said.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:49 AM

294 posts, read 272,121 times
Honestly, I'll be surprised if the bridge is built in any fashion.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I'd have to agree there. It seems like they simply don't want to spend the money for it. I guess i'd lean more towards not doing it, unless it's just a functional (but not city defining) bridge. But if you're going to do it on the cheap, you might as well not do a project like this. However, I wonder if there would be any way they could just run the bridge adjacent to Greene street, but purchase enough of a strip of land across from the TC so that it can connect with River Park North. Personally, I think the TC can be city defining by itself and a spectacular bridge across the river isn't a necessity . I think they should focus on making the TC as useful and city-defining as possible. Then work on finding a functional way across the river and put something like cabins and/or a waterfront conference center across the river so people will have another draw.

A functional bridge into RPN could be built slightly east of the TC on greenway land. There are already trails in RPN directly across from the area that it could be tied to.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:27 AM

181 posts, read 185,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I'd have to agree there. It seems like they simply don't want to spend the money for it. I guess i'd lean more towards not doing it, unless it's just a functional (but not city defining) bridge. But if you're going to do it on the cheap, you might as well not do a project like this. However, I wonder if there would be any way they could just run the bridge adjacent to Greene street, but purchase enough of a strip of land across from the TC so that it can connect with River Park North. Personally, I think the TC can be city defining by itself and a spectacular bridge across the river isn't a necessity . I think they should focus on making the TC as useful and city-defining as possible. Then work on finding a functional way across the river and put something like cabins and/or a waterfront conference center across the river so people will have another draw.

A functional bridge into RPN could be built slightly east of the TC on greenway land. There are already trails in RPN directly across from the area that it could be tied to.
Totally agree. If it's to be done, it needs to be something that defines Greenville's character, otherwise just add the bike lanes to Greene Street if anything at all.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:59 AM

Pardon my limited MS Paint skills. I think it could look like this with two functional bridges and greenway paths within RPN. It would give people access to the other trails and connect both parks. If push comes to shove, maybe just adding the eastern bridge to keep costs down. I'm sure something could be negotiated with the small section of land between Green Street and RPN.

From there, you can start looking to develop the northern shoreline.

Last edited by michealbond; 01-30-2017 at 11:11 AM..

Old 01-30-2017, 11:50 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,367,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Its just a funding issue really...it said they had a 2 mill grant. And if they get money from the private sector (don't forget naming rights) then its starting to add up. I think the goal for the city should be a $10 mill bridge and getting half of it from other sources. That's $5 mill for a huge greenway connection...which can be justified.

I find it funny that people complain about how much stuff costs...even the council doesn't know what costs are. You want to talk about cost...the southwest bypass is well over $200 million. So yeah, one bridge will cost $10 mill. Lots of whiners and complainers that never run for office.

Old 01-30-2017, 03:03 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Pardon my limited MS Paint skills. I think it could look like this with two functional bridges and greenway paths within RPN. It would give people access to the other trails and connect both parks. If push comes to shove, maybe just adding the eastern bridge to keep costs down. I'm sure something could be negotiated with the small section of land between Green Street and RPN.

From there, you can start looking to develop the northern shoreline.
That's fine for functionality. I'm sure the idea behind a pedestrian bridge is to create a "postcard icon." For sure, they're thinking about a simpler version of the bridge in Greenville, SC (though probably without the curve). It's an image that'll be the header of every visitor/realtor website that they're aiming for. An identity independent from ECU. I do agree that the bridge needs to connect to more than a park that can't be seen from the shore of the Tar. The rocks underneath and more city on the other side of the Greenville, SC bridge fill in their image. With no backdrop, our bridge will look like a bridge to nowhere. Being in the flood zone, the north side of the Tar will have limited development ability. Perhaps a fishing deck and kayak rental facility, where people have the option to walk across a bridge to fish or launch themselves onto the water; while TC is used for basic park visitors (walking, jogging, frisbee, playground, concerts, etc.). The activity on the water and the colorful kayaks in the background of a photo of an active riverside park with a unique bridge highlighting the scene is worth doing for $15-$20M. A bridge connecting two foot paths for $3M is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina