U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 09:26 AM

1,070 posts, read 988,189 times

Advertisements

I'll admit I'm a little biased since we don't have a (human) child (our dog is our child). I've never seen the playground at the TC, but I agree it's a good thing. I work downtown but I never go down that way unless I'm traveling 1st street for some reason.

But that said my wife has taken the dog to the greenway. She found it lacking and felt somewhat unsafe. She does, however, enjoy walking the town commons in its current form. I went down there with her once this summer and there were plenty of people walking around. I don't see why it needs a renovation.

I used to go to the River Park North when I was a child and it was enjoyable. Do they still have the pedal boats? That was a favorite thing of mine to do. So was going through the nature center, which has been rebuilt and expanded since I last went there. But whoever said the power lines are overwhelming and there is traffic noise is right. Back then (I'm talking 1990s) you could see and hear the traffic on 264 from the area nearest the power lines. And, the power lines/structures have been replaced with even larger ones since then. I just don't see the reason to connect the TC and RPN. RPN exists for two reasons: 1) GUC power line right of way and 2) flood plain. We aren't talking about a national forest here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 09:30 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,006,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Greenville, SC's bridge is really nothing special...it's the location, and the buildings around it that make it a scenic shot for the city. We really won't have that here, so the bridge probably needs to a little fancier if it's going to be done...I don't mean super fancy, but more than what the bridge below looks like...I don't see why they can't plan for a bridge but that could be the last step of the Town Commons renovation. Get all other aspects completed & then focus on the bridge...but I know there is that grant money I suppose they have to use or lose at some point.
See, i think that bridge pictured is exactly what Greenville should do. It's functional and with LED lights, the bridge could be lit up at night in all sorts of colors. Whatever they do should definitely be "Phase 5" in the TC process.

Old 01-31-2017, 11:34 AM

The city has provided the presentations that were given during the retreat this past weekend.

Day 1:

http://greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=13851

Day 2:

http://greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=13853

Interesting stuff. I'm not sure who did the first half of Day 1, but some of the material they used to engage the audience are a bit dated, IMO.

Day 2, there's a celebrity sighting in Greenville on page 118, not sure how many people will notice!

Umm, and can we talk about this big Science Center idea by the Sidewalk Development group?

Wow, that would be amazing.

Last edited by michealbond; 01-31-2017 at 12:06 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 12:37 PM

181 posts, read 215,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrecufan View Post
I've been out there many times and not quite sure where all the noise is you mentioned Dr. Wickstrom. I've never heard it. Maybe it was a unique day.
Being winter there's no foliage. I assume that added to the issue. Overall it wasn't really bad but again not quite the pristine wilderness that I'm used to living in the U.P. where there are far more deer than people.

I'm probably going to get a lot of heat for this but, the picture of the pirate ship in Town Commons is atrocious. Beyond tacky. Greenville is and should be more that its university. I for one am not in favor of promoting any one schools mascot as the cities identity, especially one that idealizes rape, theft, and murder . I am far from being a PC person but I forsee issues in the distant future and would prefer to find an identity for the city that isn't so one dimensional. There are a lot of people that live here that are from other areas besides ECU. I'm not saying I dislike the university. I am saying that it would do nothing to encourage more people or companies to live here.

Last edited by Dr Bret Wickstrom; 01-31-2017 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 01:38 PM

Completely reasonable assessment, Dr. Bret. There were some alternative designs without the pirate ship in the Day 2 link as well. They do look much more reasonable. The "idea" of this thing is basically an interactive science/STEAM facilty, possibly including a Queen Anne's Revenge exhibit(Blackbeard's ship found off the coast of NC) , along with a "large screen" format theater. I think the idea is similar to what Raleigh did with the Marble's Kids Museum/IMAX combo, which has been a huge benefit to Raleigh, IMO.

I think the ship is just an example of that city-defining focal point a lot of people are looking for when speaking of Greenville. It could definitely be something that gets talked about when it comes to tourists visiting the city. "When you're in Greenville this weekend, you just HAVE to go downtown to see the giant Pirate ship!" And people go and see that there's a huge park and monuments and a farmer's market and all these other things to do at the TC.

I think the idea of a facility like this would be beneficial, with or without the pirate ship.

Last edited by michealbond; 01-31-2017 at 01:54 PM..

Old 01-31-2017, 02:58 PM

839 posts, read 1,041,089 times
I'd agree with MichaelBond. Currenlty if people are visiting from out of town and ask what they need to do before they leave...what do you tell them, there is no must do's in Greenville currently. I marbles type place would be sensational here for the whole eastern part of the state really. Not sure it needs to be on the Town Commons, but somewhere across the street or uptown would work.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:26 PM

181 posts, read 185,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
Being winter there's no foliage. I assume that added to the issue. Overall it wasn't really bad but again not quite the pristine wilderness that I'm used to living in the U.P. where there are far more deer than people.

I'm probably going to get a lot of heat for this but, the picture of the pirate ship in Town Commons is atrocious. Beyond tacky. Greenville is and should be more that its university. I for one am not in favor of promoting any one schools mascot as the cities identity, especially one that idealizes rape, theft, and murder . I am far from being a PC person but I forsee issues in the distant future and would prefer to find an identity for the city that isn't so one dimensional. There are a lot of people that live here that are from other areas besides ECU. I'm not saying I dislike the university. I am saying that it would do nothing to encourage more people or companies to live here.
I understand what you're saying -- but for the record, I think the actual idea behind the pirate ship had more to do with it being an interactive Queen Anne's Revenge museum than anything else.

Aligning that project with the ECU Performing Arts Center would probably get ECU to start activating development of the land they own earlier. Couple that with inevitable private sector investment if those two things happened, and you don't have a giant pirate ship in the middle of a park, you have waterfront development.

I think that was the essence of their presentation.

Those things being said, money isn't there and the tax base in Greenville just wouldn't support this kind of thing. It's not feasible. We all know eastern NC cynicism, we've been a part of it. It just hinders progress in many ways. And I'm by no means speaking from any point of view (especially politically) other than a realistic point of view.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:26 PM

137 posts, read 141,127 times
I'm reasonably confident the City would like to renovate the TC so that it will attract development adjacent to it. It is well documented that parks that attract significant numbers of people on a consistent basis will attract a lot of development interest that will significant increase the tax base. A couple of examples of this in NC is the Durham Bulls Athletic Park (DBAP) which opened in 1995. (As I recall, there were also a lot of complaints about the cost and the value of DBAP before it was built.) The development that has occurred surrounding and close to DBAP has been extraordinary. The same is true with Romare Bearden Park in "Uptown" Charlotte. There are actual studies that back up this phenomenon, but I don't have time to dig them up right now. Maybe I can do it later tonight. Since the increased tax base can pay for the tax many times over and provide unique residential, dining, shopping, and office opportunities that probably aren't currently available in Greenville, so it is extremely important to get the park right. The firm that created the redevelopment plan for the park based on significant public input has an excellent record on these kinds of projects and I think it is shortsighted for the city to disregard their plan and skimp on its redevelopment. It's an investment in the city. The Bridge also plays into this strategy and I'd love to see it built. However, the most important thing if the city can't afford to do both is to do redevelop the TC first and revisit building the bridge later. TC redevelopment is about much more than providing additional recreational and leisure opportunities for Greenville.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:55 PM

4,677 posts, read 3,070,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
We all know eastern NC cynicism, we've been a part of it. It just hinders progress in many ways.
Yep, I remember it all too well. It sucks.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:09 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,367,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingLocal View Post
I'm reasonably confident the City would like to renovate the TC so that it will attract development adjacent to it. It is well documented that parks that attract significant numbers of people on a consistent basis will attract a lot of development interest that will significant increase the tax base. A couple of examples of this in NC is the Durham Bulls Athletic Park (DBAP) which opened in 1995. (As I recall, there were also a lot of complaints about the cost and the value of DBAP before it was built.) The development that has occurred surrounding and close to DBAP has been extraordinary. The same is true with Romare Bearden Park in "Uptown" Charlotte. There are actual studies that back up this phenomenon, but I don't have time to dig them up right now. Maybe I can do it later tonight. Since the increased tax base can pay for the tax many times over and provide unique residential, dining, shopping, and office opportunities that probably aren't currently available in Greenville, so it is extremely important to get the park right. The firm that created the redevelopment plan for the park based on significant public input has an excellent record on these kinds of projects and I think it is shortsighted for the city to disregard their plan and skimp on its redevelopment. It's an investment in the city. The Bridge also plays into this strategy and I'd love to see it built. However, the most important thing if the city can't afford to do both is to do redevelop the TC first and revisit building the bridge later. TC redevelopment is about much more than providing additional recreational and leisure opportunities for Greenville.
So you mean a $40 million dollar housing complex generates more tax base than a 200K house?

Yet that homeowner of the 200K house laments about how his tax dollars are spent...which are spare change in the grand scheme of things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina