Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2017, 12:38 PM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Felica's Fashions on Evans St. across from Coastal Fog has moved, opening up that prime corner spot for something new. I'm looking forward to seeing what becomes of that location.

I think it's only a matter of time before a lot of those type stores that have been uptown for a number of years, move to other locations throughout the city. I imagine the rent in uptown is going up when contracts renew now with all the changes in the area & property values.
I am glad that this space was able to open up. It looks like Felicia's Fashions was able to move to another location and didn't simply close. This building is in a great location and right beside that neat pocket park. I wonder if it's possible to turn that building into lofts.

----------

GoingLocal, thanks for the video. I think creating a virtual building program is nice, but I don't know if it's as big of a deal as some council members make it to be.

----------

Side note: Does anyone know if they've painted the brick walls in that grassy area between the parking deck and Evans Street? , it wasn't changed. They did all that work tearing down the building and creating a nice park space only to have the walls with half concrete/half brick as the backdrop for an art piece. It just looked unfinished the last time I went down that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 01:39 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
I'd agree...The Virtual Building Program seems nice, but I don't see how the Imperial site would be a great spot for this right now when they are trying to grow the area rapidly. Seems like more of a thing for an industrial park.

Old 02-09-2017, 04:26 PM

38 posts, read 41,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I am glad that this space was able to open up. It looks like Felicia's Fashions was able to move to another location and didn't simply close. This building is in a great location and right beside that neat pocket park. I wonder if it's possible to turn that building into lofts.

----------

GoingLocal, thanks for the video. I think creating a virtual building program is nice, but I don't know if it's as big of a deal as some council members make it to be.

----------

Side note: Does anyone know if they've painted the brick walls in that grassy area between the parking deck and Evans Street? , it wasn't changed. They did all that work tearing down the building and creating a nice park space only to have the walls with half concrete/half brick as the backdrop for an art piece. It just looked unfinished the last time I went down that way.
Three clothing stores on that Evans block have moved. Felicia's, the store in Bissette's, and Bradshaw's in consolidating into Marie's. Those two corner spots will be open as well as Bissette's building next to Uptown Brewery.

The walls are not painted in the grassy area. Such an easy thing to drastically improve what that spot looks like. I hope they do something soon.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:07 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Council wants to change Evans Street project - Daily Reflector

NCDOT isn't happy with the council's decision.

Quote:
Connelly made a motion to approve the NCDOT’s recommended plan with the stipulation that the project not affect property along several residential subdivisions. “They will have to redesign this corridor so those properties will not be impacted,†Connelly said.

NCDOT project engineer Bill Kincannon said that even if the designs are adjusted, he could not guarantee that the properties would not be affected.

“Because of things like utilities and drainage, we can alter the plans and those properties still would be affected,†he said. “I can’t stand here tonight and guarantee that we can accomplish this.â€

Smiley said he was not sure that the motion was appropriate if it turns out the project could not be constructed without affecting the properties.

“We are asking them to do something they just said they might not be able to do,†Smiley said. “What are they supposed to do then, not build the road?â€

“They will have to do their designs,†Smith said.

Despite objections from NCDOT officials, the council passed the motion on a 4-2 vote.

“Just so we are clear, you have given us a task that very well may be impossible,†Kincannon said.
Then there's this:

Quote:
However, many residents who live along the project’s route expressed concerns about the width of the design.

Ross Houser, who lives off Evans Street, said the road does not need to be widened as much as the NCDOT recommended.

“This is a 24-hour solution to a 1-hour problem,†Houser said. “There is only about one hour a day when traffic is a real problem.â€

Jason Jones said that the NCDOT’s design would turn that section of road into a “super street.â€

“The entire length of this expansion is a residential area,†Jones said. “It is a beautiful residential area ... not an area that needs what will end up being one of the biggest roads in the city.â€

Other residents expressed concerns that the project would have a negative effect on property values.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:53 AM

112 posts, read 136,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post

Then there's this:
Ahhhh, the growing pains. People are having a hard time transitioning to this bigger city mentality.

Old 02-10-2017, 07:56 AM

455 posts, read 528,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post

Then there's this:
Short sided IMO and I'm certain the local residents/council are well versed in transportation design and forecasting to usurp the DOT officials. Winterville isn't going to get any smaller. It is likely that traffic through that area will only continue to increase. You have to look to the future of the area and city, what will it be like in 20 years, not what it requires now. You don't do a project like this and invest 30 million for just the current issue.

Old 02-10-2017, 08:13 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,876 times
Do people in this area not understand that Greenville is growing at a huge rate? 5-10 years from now, that "1 hour" of bad traffic may turn into 2 or 3 hours if that section of Evans stays a 2 lane road. Firetower was gridlock for a long while after people started realizing it was a cut around Greenville Blvd. It had to be widened. These people that live along Evans street see every day when they have to come out of their subdivision that the traffic situation isn't getting better. It needs to be widened as well. The subdivision that built the berm did it primarily to cut down on TRAFFIC noise. They already know the situation. NIMBY until they need to go to work and can't get out of their neighborhood.

Last edited by michealbond; 02-10-2017 at 08:23 AM..

Old 02-10-2017, 10:39 AM

192 posts, read 281,138 times
The Evans road expansion is a tough situation. It seems like they're already experiencing similar concerns from citizens with the Firetower Rd expansion when it comes to matters of eminent domain.

Here is what I emailed to the Mayor, Mercer and district Council Member Connelly

"Dear Mayor Thomas, Council Member At-Large Mercer and Council Member Connelly
I would like to take some time to give you my opinion, as a cyclist, about the potential bikes lanes being considered on Evans.
On occasion, I commute 10 miles to my office by way of Forlines, Firetower and Porter. I would love to commute more often, however, the environment of angry, rude and near hateful motorists make this less than safe. Compared to rush hour traffic in Dallas, where I lived before moving to Greenville, it is far less safe in Greenville in my opinion. I personally would love to see the city connected with more bike lanes. As a Libertarian, I am not a fan of any government forcing private citizens to sell or allow me to build on their property. However, that is not the world we currently live in. So I’ll leave it to you to make that decision.
I do want to offer another option. The issue for me as a cyclist is not that I don’t have room to ride but that the climate created on the road by disrespectful and hateful motorists make it unsafe. It’s true that bike lanes will encourage more third-party credibility that cyclists have a designated area and rights to be on the road. Another option may be to better educate the public about the recent law changes requiring a four foot cushion when passing cyclists. This may be able to be done more cost effectively throughout the city with informative signage instead of bike lanes. Please do not put up any more of the “Share the Road” signs. They only seem to indicate to motorists that they have primary access to the roads and it is their option not obligation to respect cyclists who are most certainly tax paying citizens. The signs with just the bicycles are also ineffective in my opinion.
Again I am all for bike lanes. I will use them and would love to have them but I think spending as little of the public’s money should always be a priority. Currently, cyclists are low on that priority given the limited and often dangerous (debris, potholes) bike lanes in town. As a result, motorists seem to give little value to our presence and our lives because our government doesn’t make them a priority.
In closing, I want to thank you for your time and work. When I first move here I did not car for Greenville. Thankfully the city seems to be working hard to making this a nice place to live and the results in the impressive growth are evident. Thank you.
Sincerely Dr. Bret Wickstrom"

Old 02-10-2017, 02:04 PM

893 posts, read 1,343,310 times
A few picture updates for those out of towners of the 10th street connector and the Vidant addition...I found it pretty amazing that as soon as you are at the stoplight at Stantonsburg / Memorial you can see the ECU dorms in the distance, the 10th street connector has really opened up the area and it seems less cut off from Uptown.

Old 02-10-2017, 03:04 PM

18 posts, read 25,263 times
Has anyone heard anything about Home Goods going where Lowes Food used to be? I have never heard this but my friend just saw a Home Goods truck parked behind the building. Thought that was interesting. I know there have been a ton of rumors about that space and really wonder what will go in its place. Seems really large for a Home Goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina