U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2017, 07:04 PM

4,707 posts, read 3,089,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
The corner lot of Davenport and Frog Level that is under development now has a small sign in front of it: Dollar General. I suppose that sign is stating what's going up there and not subliminal advertising. There's a DG about two miles from there on Dickinson.
It wouldn't be unusual for 2 Dollar General stores to be that close together. Hell, Fremont and Pikeville in Wayne County each have a Dollar General and those towns are only 3 miles apart.

I'm pretty much convinced that if you stick an outhouse in the middle of an empty field, a Walmart and a Dollar General would pop up on either side.

Last edited by LM117; 02-24-2017 at 07:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2017, 01:19 PM

227 posts, read 205,814 times
That spot makes absolutely no sense. Unless it suppose to be for the general neighborhood in the area, it makes no sense to put a DG there. If I'm going into Greenville I'll just go to the one on Dickson, otherwise I'll just go to the Dollar Tree on Winterville Pkwy. I live like a block from this new DG sure to me it's super convenient but makes no sense to put one there.

Old 02-26-2017, 03:31 PM

335 posts, read 359,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Thai 360 has on their sign outside "March 1st Thai 360 is closing forever" on one side and "New Restaurant Coming" on the other.

The culvert project is likely going to claim that building. The culvert runs underneath it. Wonder if they are moving?
I feel like every time I drove past there (which doesn't happen very often anymore) they looked like they were closed no matter what time of day or day of the week it was. They should just bulldoze that building. Nobody has survived there.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:07 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,008,326 times
WGB won't stop trying to develop their property.

Rejected property owners continue quest for development - Daily Reflector

Quote:
The owners who want to develop a property off of Evans Street will not immediately take a request rejected by Greenville’s planning and zoning commission before the City Council, one of the partners said. But they’re not giving up, either.

Darsen Sowers of WGB Properties said the developers are going to further research what type of development the wooded, eight-acre Clifton Street lot north of Arlington Boulevard would support. The Feb. 21 rejection was the second attempt to rezone the property from commercial to office-residential (high-density multi-family).

The property has been zoned for general commercial since 1969. The rezoning, which would have complied with the city’s long-range land-use plan, was opposed by residents of a neighboring townhome development who have raised concerns about the loss of the trees, water runoff and traffic.

“We don’t want to take this request before a City Council that we know will vote it down,” Sowers, the chief financial officer for WGB, said. “We don’t want to waste anyone’s time. I want to come up with something that everyone can agree on before we take that step.”

WGB does not necessarily want to place an apartment complex on the property, Sowers said, but some sort of residential development would be ideal. Ironically, an identical rezoning request granted to WGB in 1983 allowed the company to develop Cypress Creek, whose residents have opposed the company’s subsequent requests.
“That subdivision was ahead of its time when it was constructed,” Sowers said.

Cypress Creek residents said any development on the neighboring property — which would require the removal of trees in about five acres of the property — would have a negative effect on the watershed in the area and would represent “an ecological disaster.”

“Every tree that is cut down would add to the flooding problems in the area,” one resident said during the Feb. 21 meeting. “The city cannot allow that to happen.”

In March, WGB Properties received approval from the Planning and Zoning Commission to rezone the property, despite the objections of Cypress Creek residents. During that meeting, homeowners said another housing project would take away from the secluded feel that the woods surrounding their subdivision provide.

The commission at that time concluded that because the property is zoned for general commercial, any type of development on the property — either commercial or residential — still would change the landscape in the area. It voted to recommend the change to the council.

The council in April went against the commission’s recommendation and voted 3-2 to deny the request. Councilman At-Large Calvin Mercer and District 4 Councilman Rick Smiley voted to approve the request. Mayor Pro-Tem Kandie Smith, District 3 Councilman McLean Godley and District 5 Councilman P.J. Connelly voted against the rezoning. District 2 Councilwoman Rose Glover did not attend the meeting.

During the council meeting, Cypress Creek residents argued that a housing development — especially one for student housing — would create traffic issues coming out of Clifton Street, which intersects with Arlington Boulevard and Evans Street.

“A 400-bed development would create a dangerous situation coming out of Clifton Street,” one resident told the City Council during the meeting in April. “However, we would not object to a development similar to Cypress Creek.”

During the Planning and Zoning Commission last week, Sowers said the real estate agency had no plans to construct student housing and was looking at potentially developing market rate housing on the property.

“This would actually reduce the traffic a lot more than what the current zoning would create,” Sowers said. “I know that people keep talking about the problems with this site ... I would like to come up with solutions that would make this property better than it is now.”

Sowers has been meeting with Cypress Creek residents and said that WGB Properties is trying to develop a plan for the property that addresses their concerns.

“I get it ... they have a nice place in the woods that’s close to everything,” Sowers said. “The problem then became traffic and now is the area’s watershed. But I think it’s great that these residents have put their heads together and come up with this narrative.

“I admire, and even envy, the sense of community they have there,” Sowers said. “And we want to work with them on this. However, I’m getting the impression that many of them are not willing to accept any development on that property.”
Sowers said several residents have asked if WGB Properties would donate the land to the City of Greenville so it would not be developed at all.

“Even that isn’t necessarily off of the table,” Sowers said. “If the city wants to give us $2 million in tax credits, that is something we would consider. If not ... we can’t afford to donate that land to the city any more than they can donate their homes to the city.”

Sowers said there is a growing demand in Greenville for market-rate housing that would be targeted toward young professionals and retirees. A development on the property would be able to take advantage of the greenway that the city has constructed through a portion of the property.

“We are trying to make the best of the greenway that was forced on us through eminent domain,” he said. “I have walked the greenway and can make it to ECU’s stadium in about 12 minutes. I think that there are a lot of people that would benefit from being located next to this path.”

Sowers said that a market-rate housing development on the site also would have less environmental effect on the area than a development allowed under its current zoning.

“Under the current zoning, we could strip clear the property and put in a parking lot,” Sowers said. “But we don’t want to do that ... I care about the residents of Cypress Creek and we want to do something that will compliment what they have there.”
I"m sure eventually they will get it changed. I"m sure "buffer zones" can be implemented in the areas that back up into this subdivision.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:23 AM

1,073 posts, read 990,731 times
I thought that property was in the flood plain. I'm surprised it can even be developed.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:23 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,008,326 times
Development interest in North Greenville property

Former brush plant drawing development interest - Daily Reflector

Quote:
A former brush manufacturing plant closed since 2012 located north of the Tar River and near Pitt County’s major industrial parks has drawn interest and is involved in a post-foreclosure sale auction for the property.

Friday is the deadline in the upset bid period that began on Feb. 21 when St. Louis-based Commercial Development Co. entered a bid of $250,000 for the 371,343-square-foot manufacturing facility at 2400 N. Memorial Drive. CDC in December purchased the mortgage on the property owned by PGV Properties (Harper Brush), but the deadline could change under terms of the upset auction, CDC Executive Vice President Mark Hinds said.

An upset bid period goes into effect after a foreclosure sale. In North Carolina, after the sale of a property in a foreclosure, there are 10 days allowed for another party to offer a higher bid on the property or for the property owner to file a bankruptcy to stop the foreclosure. According to N.C. statutes (45-21.27), a new bid must be 5 percent higher than the previous bid, accompanied by a 5 percent deposit.

The property, last home to Rubbermaid Products and before that to Harper Brush Works, sits on 50 acres (including 25 undeveloped acres) zoned for unoffensive industry. It was built in six components between 1964 and 1974.
Ceiling heights range from 17 feet to 29 feet. The warehouse carries a heavy floor load, 30 dock high doors, two drive-in doors, some mezzanine area and racking inside, and a 7.5-ton crane.

The facility is served by an adjacent CSX rail line and is convenient to U.S. 264, about 15 miles from I-64 and 40 miles from I-95.

Newell Brands Inc. has entered into an order with North Carolina to address any environmental concerns that might exist on the property.

The appraisal value of the property acquired by the previous lender was approximately $2.6 million, according to Hinds.
“We’ve been learning about all the great things going on in the community from conversations we’ve had with Pitt County Development Commission Director Wanda Yuhas and NCEast Alliance Director John Chaffee,” Hinds said. “Bringing 370,000 square feet of manufacturing space back onto the market in a relatively short time will be a great help to the community.”
Yuhas spoke highly of the property Tuesday.

“It’s rail-served, so that would give us a lot of options,” she said. “We have very few good commercial/industrial rail-served sites in Pitt County, and this one is right there at U.S. 264, a four-lane freeway. It’s a great location for a lot of reasons.”
PCDC will be in a better position to market development of the property following the conclusion of the auction process, Yuhas said.

“The CDC people really liked our market when they visited us,” she said. “They saw that we are emerging from a big town to becoming a small city and seeing so much positive change in a number of different quarters countywide. They saw the potential from getting into this market early on.”

Parties interested in the bidding process can submit a bid form to the Pitt County Court House 100 W. Third Street, Greenville, NC 27835, 2nd Floor. Questions about the bidding process can be directed to the Clerk of Superior Court at 695-7100. For property-related questions, contact Mark Hinds at CDC at 314-835-2838 or mhinds@eltransfer.com.

Old 02-28-2017, 09:12 AM

4,707 posts, read 3,089,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Development interest in North Greenville property

Former brush plant drawing development interest - Daily Reflector
That railroad would be much more useful if it were extended northward from Parmele to the existing railroad in Kelford. That would give the region a rail connection to the Port of Virginia in Norfolk.

Old 02-28-2017, 11:44 AM

17 posts, read 22,603 times
Apparently Thai 360 is just getting new owners and will be reopened under a new name - still Thai food. New owner was there today.

Old 02-28-2017, 12:12 PM

1,073 posts, read 990,731 times
Not sure if it's moving though. I heard the city has already claimed that lot for the drainage project.

Old 02-28-2017, 04:46 PM

3,323 posts, read 5,197,748 times
Uptown Greenville prepares for population to double

Just 5 years ago, only 545 people lived in the area. The Boundary doubled that number and caught the national student housing market’s attention. About 1,100 people live in the area now. That number is expected to be about 2,500 by 2019.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina