Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2017, 02:26 PM

192 posts, read 278,429 times

Advertisements

This is the problem with laws like imminent domain and city code enforcement etc. People think they have the right to tell someone what they can and can't do with their own property. Since when is "more traffic" a justifiable reason to tell someone they don't have the freedom to build on their land? It's practically class warfare. And property values? If you want better property values how about making more money and moving to a bigger house. Stop blaming other people for your own problems. The intent of a home is to live there not use it as a nest egg. Hell the lower the value the less you pay in taxes. Michealbond is 100% correct in saying that low income does note equate to unethical or dangerous neighbors. I'm also laughing my butt off over the 8 offenders withing a mile comment!!! People are so prejudice in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2017, 09:37 PM

89 posts, read 129,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
This is the problem with laws like imminent domain and city code enforcement etc. People think they have the right to tell someone what they can and can't do with their own property. Since when is "more traffic" a justifiable reason to tell someone they don't have the freedom to build on their land? It's practically class warfare. And property values? If you want better property values how about making more money and moving to a bigger house. Stop blaming other people for your own problems. The intent of a home is to live there not use it as a nest egg. Hell the lower the value the less you pay in taxes. Michealbond is 100% correct in saying that low income does note equate to unethical or dangerous neighbors. I'm also laughing my butt off over the 8 offenders withing a mile comment!!! People are so prejudice in this area.
The dilapidated trailer park on Bells Fork Road is fine but heaven forbid a nice looking affordable housing complex in the area.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:35 AM

1,213 posts, read 1,530,674 times
Farmer's Market opening soon.

Quote:
The 2017 season is bringing change to the Leroy James Farmers Market.

There is a new market manager and, in a few months, there will be a new addition to the market located at 4560 County Home Road.

It all starts at 8 a.m. Saturday with vendors offering strawberries, sweet potatoes, asparagus, honey, shrimp, specialty meats, salsa, baked goods, and other produce and products.

"We are fortunate; we'll have some strawberries to start off this year,” said Leigh Guth, Pitt County Cooperative Extension Service director. “That's an exciting way to open the market and we're looking forward to some great opportunities.”
The market opens with a new manager, La Rita Johnson, a longtime vendor whose álarita Gourmet Foods started in 2004 with a bumper crop of vegetables and herbs from her family's new gardens. The business now sells multiples varieties of salsas, spreads and dry rubs produced with vegetables and herbs grown at her home.

“She has a wealth of experience taking a value-added product from an idea to a successful business,” Guth said “When she interviewed, she'd been to Raleigh talking with the state farmers’ market staff about what made their market successful.
“She believes in farmers and local entrepreneurs. She’s on their side. She knows how hard it is, and she knows the joy of being successful as a farmers’ market vendor. I just think it brings the positives out,” Guth said.
Johnson replaces James Heath, who retired after more than 20 years with the market.

"I felt it's a good community organization that could use some help,” Johnson said. “I really, really want to see that market grow and thrive more than it has been able to.”

The market manager oversees the market space, assigning vendor space and making sure the facility and grounds are clean. She also plans promotional activities.

"I'll be out on the street letting people know what we've got going on," Johnson said.
Vendors say they are looking forward to Johnson's leadership.

"I have known La Rita for several years,” Mike Skinner, co-owner of Strawberries on 903, said. “La Rita is a real go-getter,. She's a very energetic person. I think she'll be a huge asset for the market with her ability to communicate with people and also with her organizational skills," said

While the market traditionally opens in the first few weeks of April, an early strawberry crop has Skinner eagerly awaiting Saturday's debut.

"We sell out of our farm stand (located off N.C. 903 South), but the farmers’ market is a great advertising tool for us farmers to show our products off,” he said. “It's another avenue to advertise our products and sell our products. A lot of consumers don't get an opportunity to visit the farm, but they get an opportunity to visit the farmers’ market. They get a taste of what is going on in the community."

Introducing the community to local products is Johnson’s top goal. She and her family have a stand at the weekly Umbrella Market sponsored by Uptown Greenville during the summer. Johnson said customers there told her they didn't know about the farmers’ market.
Johnson thinks part of the problem is people do not know where County Home Road is located because of how Arlington Boulevard ends at Fire Tower Road, and County Home Road picks up on the other side.

Johnson wants to put up directional signs on market days. She also is in the tentative stages of planning an open house geared to local restaurants to introduce them to local produce and the growers who produce it.

"People want to support local (growers), but it's hard to support local when no one knows it's here," Johnson said.
The market vendors are meeting next week to finalize their 2017 hours of operation. For April, the market will only be open Saturdays from 8 a.m.-1 p.m.

Last year, the market had 45 registered vendors, with 25 making up a core group. Several new vendors specializing in crafts have signed on, including a wood bowl maker.

Even though Johnson is taking on the market's management responsibilities, álarita Gourmet Foods will remain open. Her parents are running the Pitt County site, and her sons will operate their New Bern Farmers Market location and make wholesale deliveries.

Johnson said the number of vendors should continue to grow once an expansion of the market is completed in several months. The 5,000-square-foot expansion, which will have 16 bays, was made possible by grants given last year by the Wells Trust, Perkins Trust and West Trust totaling $100,000.
Good to hear about expansion. I don't know if the city does enough promotion of the farmer's market. They do more to promote the uptown umbrella market than they do for the farmer's market. This new manager seems better and will probably make sure things run smoothly.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:40 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,574,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Farmer's Market opening soon.

Good to hear about expansion. I don't know if the city does enough promotion of the farmer's market. They do more to promote the uptown umbrella market than they do for the farmer's market. This new manager seems better and will probably make sure things run smoothly.
The Farmers Market belongs to Pitt County. Greenville doesn't have a part in it.

Old 03-31-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
The Farmers Market belongs to Pitt County. Greenville doesn't have a part in it.
Jeez, I must be off today. Yes, of course the city of Greenville has no obligation to market the Pitt County Farmers Market

Old 04-03-2017, 10:06 AM

449 posts, read 514,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bret Wickstrom View Post
So you're ok with a individual property owner building whatever on their property regardless of its impact, but not ok with government upgrading infrastructure that might affect someone's property values? So the guy near Bells Forks can get over his property value concern but the folks on Evans, they have a valid complaint? Simply bc its government vs private land owners?

I'm not a proponent of big government, but there has to be a little method to the madness. Increased traffic is a safety issue. The government should be looking out for the safety of its citizens. In a perfect world the infrastructure would come before the population and traffic however it doesn't work that way. Toes get stepped on along the way, it is what it is.

I agree with you that the guy on Evans is being absurd and quite prejudice.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:23 AM

3,060 posts, read 4,792,534 times
If increased traffic is the concern on the Charles Blvd project...then nothing will ever be built. Drove by it today, its a huge tract inside of Bells Fork, so while it will affect Bells Fork, only because more people will be using the commercial at Bells Fork...which was built and planned as a commercial node.

And there is the problem. Bells Fork has had ZERO road improvements to it since the Firetower Rd widening from Winterville in what, 1999 or so?

And more commercial gets built, as it was designed.

So who is at fault for the commercial traffic issues at Bells Fork, the Charles Blvd property owner that has not developed their land? Or maybe the fact that the Firetower two lane stretch is still a few years off...or maybe that all of the development SOUTH of Firetower has had an effect. The traffic from the Charles Blvd tract will not impact the Firetower intersection like say the Bellamy/Kittrell Farms development...because its already north of the intersection.

So again, should the property owner be told no...on a better development in a better spot...because the City didn't plan and execute the nearby development properly...and because the City/County cant get the State to build critical roads sooner?

The City of Greenville seems to do everything it can not to build road infrastructure...its a huge waiting game...while the market dictates growth. Traffic concerns should be thrown right back in the city's face...with a helping of the County thrown in.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:19 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,733,279 times
I find it interesting that Taft cleared off the land of their project long before downtown Pugh's/bus station were torn down, yet Taft still has not begun construction on their 10th St project and the Pugh's site is already under construction. Did they purposely delay their own project by more than six months to force this dilemma of the city council having to choose between projects? I find it difficult to believe that the council saw competition as a problem without someone of influence planting a seed. If the council felt another complex would threaten development on 10th, wouldn't both proposed projects be voted down? Taft has done a lot for downtown growth, the group that really got the ball rolling and is still thee player in downtown investment. There's a difference between being appreciative to someone and being beholden. If the council is letting Taft indirectly call the shots, Greenville may have just put one foot firmly on a slippery slope.

Old 04-03-2017, 12:55 PM

Yes, infrastructure for some reason almost always lags behind development. That's a nationwide issue, not just Greenville. I assume that it gets kind of tricky for the city dealing with State roads and the NCDOT, and US highways and the US Government. I mean look at a project like widening Allen Road. Widening has been needed for at least a decade, yet construction isn't supposed to start for another 5 years and finishing in 2025. Dickinson's repaving is still a couple of years away, and they're starting on the end near Memorial Drive instead of the end by the area attempting to be completely revitalized (where the DOT is already doing work).I believe that is the NCDOT decision & I don't know how much the city is allowed to be involved in maintaining NC & US roads and highways that run through the city.

In a perfect world, a 2 mile construction project wouldn't take 3 years and 20+ million dollars to build. I know there was a recent bond and additional money for the city to take care of some of this stuff, but it just takes time.

Old 04-03-2017, 01:33 PM

I am for people doing what they want on their property, but with some restrictions. I mean if it's no holds barred, I think you'll literally end up with chaos and ugly streets & cities, even more than it is now.

-------------------------

Yes, good point about Taft. I'm not sure if it's necessarily intentional on Taft or the council's part. I made the point before that it's hard for me to take Taft seriously when he talks about slowing down other student complexes from being built when he, in part, is responsible for other complexes already in the city having issues with their occupancy rates. He's been a good investor in downtown and of course he wants to look out for his investments. Other developments will hurt his bottom line if they are built. IMO, he may be skirting the line when he makes a comment or has a view and the same comment seems to echo through some members of the council.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina