U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2017, 12:46 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,063,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I believe that is the NCDOT decision & I don't know how much the city is allowed to be involved in maintaining NC & US roads and highways that run through the city.
In the 14 years I lived in NC, I can't think of a case where a city did any road maintenance at all on NC & US highways.

I don't know if reimbursement agreements can be made, but I'm not aware of any that took place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2017, 01:58 PM

225 posts, read 204,941 times
One thing I do like about Goldsboro over Greenville is how Goldsboro though ahead and ran a Limit access freeway of Hwy 70 through Goldsboro. It connects Berkeley Blvd, Spence Ave, Wayne Memorial Dr. and Downtown all very conveniently. Nothing feels like I takes forever to get to. If I'm at the mall and I need to got downtown I can be there in less than 10 minutes. Can't say the same about Greenville.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:26 PM

181 posts, read 215,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
So you're ok with a individual property owner building whatever on their property regardless of its impact, but not ok with government upgrading infrastructure that might affect someone's property values? So the guy near Bells Forks can get over his property value concern but the folks on Evans, they have a valid complaint? Simply bc its government vs private land owners?

I'm not a proponent of big government, but there has to be a little method to the madness. Increased traffic is a safety issue. The government should be looking out for the safety of its citizens. In a perfect world the infrastructure would come before the population and traffic however it doesn't work that way. Toes get stepped on along the way, it is what it is.

I agree with you that the guy on Evans is being absurd and quite prejudice.
1. I never said they can do whatever they want regardless of impact. They should be able to have the freedom to do what they want as long as it doesn't cause harm to others. Lower property values are hardly "causing harm" as most value is created by supply and demand which is not the sole responsibility of your neighbors.

2. I'm not okay with government stealing (taxation) my money so that a mob (democracy) can decide how to use it. The money is almost always used inefficiently and often unethical... I'll scratch your back you scratch mine kind of behavior by our politicians both in big and small town government.

Because I can not refuse to have my money stolen without being arrested and thrown in jail, I do prefer that it be spent on things that benefit the most people. Roads are a good example of that.

To my knowledge, increased traffic does not always guarantee more car crashes per capita. Hence, refusing someone the ability to build based on this is unfair. This is especially true if the government is the only entity responsible for the roads being built. If that's the case they should be better at maintaining the infrastructure by other means than just limiting more freedom.

3. When did I ever say that any person should "get over his property value concern"?

4. It is what it is because we allow the government to do what it does without requiring more accountability. When we assume that "that's just the way it is." nothing will change and people lose their rights.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
One thing I do like about Goldsboro over Greenville is how Goldsboro though ahead and ran a Limit access freeway of Hwy 70 through Goldsboro. It connects Berkeley Blvd, Spence Ave, Wayne Memorial Dr. and Downtown all very conveniently. Nothing feels like I takes forever to get to. If I'm at the mall and I need to got downtown I can be there in less than 10 minutes. Can't say the same about Greenville.
Agreed. The last time I was there was last September and it's even easier now more than ever, since the new US-70 Bypass opened and gave US-70 through the city a much needed relief.

Old 04-03-2017, 06:37 PM

1,070 posts, read 987,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
Convenient access to all the car lots and crack motels

Old 04-03-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Convenient access to all the car lots and crack motels
Not to derail the thread, but the fact those motels are still open after numerous raids blows my mind. The Nash County sheriff is currently trying to shut down the trouble motels in the Gold Rock area of Rocky Mount. I wish Goldsboro/Wayne County had the balls to do the same. The US-70 corridor through that city needs cleaned up desperately.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:20 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,044,063 times
Just noticed that this thread has over 1 million views...

Old 04-04-2017, 08:48 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,005,916 times
Guess we just love talking about Greenville development!

--------------------

Not Greenville related, but High Point is building a new $30 million multipurpose stadium in their downtown area to help with revitalization. 5k for baseball/soccer and 7.5k for concerts. They are trying to lure a low level minor league team.

$30M Stadium Coming To Downtown High Point | WFMYNEWS2.com

I know each city is different and has different priorities and needs, but I feel that Greenville would benefit from this type of facility.

Old 04-04-2017, 12:54 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,365,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Guess we just love talking about Greenville development!

--------------------

Not Greenville related, but High Point is building a new $30 million multipurpose stadium in their downtown area to help with revitalization. 5k for baseball/soccer and 7.5k for concerts. They are trying to lure a low level minor league team.

$30M Stadium Coming To Downtown High Point | WFMYNEWS2.com

I know each city is different and has different priorities and needs, but I feel that Greenville would benefit from this type of facility.
They might...but honestly they have put off too much for too long to worry about minor league baseball. Especially with ECU sitting on Charles Blvd and Kinston getting a minor league team.

What the City can do is pave Dickinson, pave 10th St, get out of the way in widening Evans St, move up the State's widening of Firetower/Portertown and actually move past the planning stage on the Town Common.

Old 04-04-2017, 01:05 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,044,063 times
Greenville, NC : City News, Next Phase of Arlington Re-Paving
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina