U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 11:48 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,416 times

Advertisements

I wonder how they estimate the number of people that attended...it's not like you buy tickets to the thing or enter a gate. I guess they just look at the crowd all day & guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 12:05 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times
That's the parking garage for the "Gather Uptown" student complex. It is amazing how fast they can go up. A couple of weeks ago when I last visited Greenville, they had just started putting up one side of a wall. I also believe the Sidewalk Development on Dickinson/Reade should be starting soon. The condos/brewery/pizza cafe on Pitt Street is coming along as well. The Whirligig Stage next to it is progressing and has shows pretty much every Friday & Saturday evening. I think I saw the "Tony's Auto" building with a "For Sale" sign on it. The area is starting to come alive!

Old 04-10-2017, 12:58 PM

82 posts, read 98,276 times
Interesting... Google Maps has already upgraded 264 to I-587
Attached Thumbnails
Greenville Area Developments-587.jpg  

Old 04-10-2017, 02:21 PM

4,631 posts, read 3,038,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
Interesting... Google Maps has already upgraded 264 to I-587
Google is jumping the gun as usual. Even the northern US-264 bypass around Greenville is labeled I-587 and it's not even part of Future I-587.

As far as I know, NCDOT still has yet to put up "Future I-587" signs between Zebulon and Greenville.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:42 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,416 times
we're paying another consulting firm to tell us how to manage our uptown parking...

Greenville to conduct comprehensive study to improve parking uptown

I need to start up my own consulting firm, seems to be rather profitable.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:10 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Google is jumping the gun as usual. Even the northern US-264 bypass around Greenville is labeled I-587 and it's not even part of Future I-587.

As far as I know, NCDOT still has yet to put up "Future I-587" signs between Zebulon and Greenville.
I'll take it. Never thought it would be so cool to see an interstate sign on a map. It's updated on my mobile device as well. This, for now at least gives us the perception of interstate access. If some company is looking to locate in Greenville and they pull up a map in Google, they will now think that interstate access is there. Maybe that doesn't immediately cross us off their list, like it may have in the past.

----------

City approves a parking study.

City Council approves parking study - Daily Reflector

Quote:
The Greenville City Council on Monday voted to approve a study to find long-term solutions to parking problems in the downtown area.

The council voted 5-1 to approve a contract with Walker Engineering, a parking consulting firm, for $59,930 to prepare a comprehensive parking plan for Greenville that would focus on the downtown district.
At-Large Councilman Calvin Mercer, District 1 Councilwoman and Mayor Pro-Tem Kandie Smith, District 2 Councilwoman Rose Glover, District 3 Councilman McLean Godley and District 4 Councilman Rick Smiley voted to approve the contract. District 5 Councilman P.J. Connelly voted against the study.

More than 75 people came to Monday’s meeting to discuss a rezoning request that was going before the City Council for 5.5 acres of property off of Bells Fork Road. The public hearing on the rezoning request was moved to the May 11 City Council meeting.

The parking study was one of several recommendations presented by the city’s parking task force in December. Roger Johnson, Greenville’s economic development manager, discussed the parking study during Monday’s meeting..

“We have a high demand for spaces in Uptown Greenville,” he said. “That’s not a bad problem to have because it shows that more people are gravitating to the area. This study will help us inventory the spaces we have and will let us know how better to proceed with planning for future demands.”

Other parking task force recommendations included:

• Developing a standardization parking signage program for public and private property in the downtown area, including pole styles, color, placement and shape;
• Identifying a single point of contact for residents to address parking concerns or questions;
• Updating the parking section of the City of Greenville website to make it more user-friendly;
• Continue restriping of parking areas for all public spaces and on-street parking spaces;
• Require tow trucks to accept electronic payment or install ATMs at lots where vehicles are towed;
• Standardize leasing in the parking garage to six-month increments.

Johnson said city staff already has moved forward with several recommendations.
“We have a single point of contact now, the website is being updated and will be ready soon, and we are continuing with restriping spaces,” Johnson said. “We also have a cost estimate for signage and some other things that will be coming before you in May.”
Connelly questioned the need for a parking study.

“The task force did a lot of work and did a tremendous job,” Connelly said. “Why do we need a study when the ideas you have are great?”

Johnson said that the parking study will provide a long-term look at the anticipated parking needs in the downtown district.
“Some of the things we are doing are short-term solutions,” he said. “This study will do a supply and demand analysis and give us direction on how to proceed in the long term.”
Connelly also questioned whether the contract should be awarded to Walker Engineering, which did the city’s last parking study in 2010.

“I get a lot of calls, and I’m sure other council members get calls, too, and people are saying how bad parking in downtown Greenville is,” Connelly said. “Why are we going with the same firm if parking problems are so bad?”

Johnson said that the development and investment in the downtown district exceeded projections in 2010.
“The ecosystem has changed in the district,” he said. “There now is an interest in Uptown Greenville that didn’t exist in 2010. This study will provide us with an updated projection of what are parking needs are likely to be in the future.”
Johnson said the study will begin this month and is expected to take about six months. Representatives from Walker will present their findings and make recommendations to the City Council.
I am getting a little annoyed with the number of studies the council must do before any big decision. On one hand, I get it. You want to get it right and doing a study can be beneficial. My problem is I thought that they did a parking study a few years ago and that was how we got the 4th street parking deck (and other parking recommendations). Now 3/4 of the deck is city/police owned and more money can't be generated from parking fees to help maintain the deck. I also thought parking was factored in with all of these other revitalization studies they've done over the years. It seems like a lot of overlap. Having the 4th street deck is fine. Another deck would be helpful in the Dickinson area. And maybe one near the future ECU performing arts center (whenever they finally get started)

I'm with you jpirate. The good folks on this forum could do this for 50k and save them some time & money!

Old 04-11-2017, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
we're paying another consulting firm to tell us how to manage our uptown parking...

Greenville to conduct comprehensive study to improve parking uptown

I need to start up my own consulting firm, seems to be rather profitable.
Seems like a waste of money from where I'm sitting.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
I'll take it. Never thought it would be so cool to see an interstate sign on a map. It's updated on my mobile device as well. This, for now at least gives us the perception of interstate access. If some company is looking to locate in Greenville and they pull up a map in Google, they will now think that interstate access is there. Maybe that doesn't immediately cross us off their list, like it may have in the past.
I agree in general, but if Google was going to get ahead of themselves it might've been a good idea to at least wait until Future I-587 signs were posted, otherwise someone who is not familiar with the area that blindly follows a GPS is going to wonder where I-587 signs are.

If NCDOT still hasn't put up the Future I-587 signs yet, then I suspect they are wanting to have I-495/Future I-495 decommissioned before doing so, otherwise it would appear that I-587 is branching off of I-495. Future I-87 signs are posted on US-64 east of Rocky Mount, but none west.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:05 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,040,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Now 3/4 of the deck is city/police owned and more money can't be generated from parking fees to help maintain the deck.
Not only fees for maintaining the deck, but also the loan payoff to build it. The city had already saved funds specifically to build a parking deck, but at day's end, took out a loan instead. Now we've cut off revenue from the garage and we're paying for another parking study...

The thing is, I don't think anyone would have minded a municipal parking garage, which is basically what we're stuck with for awhile. On this message board I expressed an idea to build one where the Pugh's and the old bus station was, right across from the fire station (Not the quietest neighbor to have, yet apartments will be there now.). Police could have the bottom two floors, and the other 2, 3 floors for all the other city employees (including GUC). Any extra space could be leased to private companies. It would have been a good spot for a municipal garage: City hall, GUC, police and fire all right there, plus the courthouse isn't really any further from there than the one we built. I suppose we could still build one, either where GUC just built a new parking lot, or at 4th & Washington, across from CopyPro, adjacent to the former Jefferson's. The city's got to figure out their own parking situation, as well as everyone else's.

Old 04-11-2017, 09:31 AM

293 posts, read 270,724 times
The council is hyper sensitive when it comes to decision making. I understand wanting a study to inform your decision, but we study everything multiple times. Its becoming a waste or at least a perception of waste. They need to be cognizant of this fact and prudent with the choice of studies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina