U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 08:43 PM

3,285 posts, read 5,434,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
US-264 East, just past the NC-97 interchange in Zebulon. Pic taken by AARoads forum member Adam Prince.
Also, on Google Maps the "I-587" badges now appear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 06:42 AM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times
Greenville: something for everyone.

Pitt County's tourism goal: something for everyone - Daily Reflector

Quote:
Greenville and Pitt County are building their tourism foundation on hospitality, conventions and sports, but the next decade holds the promise of much more, the director of the Pitt County Convention and Visitors Bureau told a business audience at Tuesday’s chamber of commerce Power Luncheon at the Hilton Greenville.

“Whether they are here for a convention, ball tournament, family reunion or leisure travel, we want to make sure every visitor (and potential visitor) has a positive experience and learns about all that our area has to offer,” CVB Executive Director Andrew Schmidt said. “We compete against other destinations to attract people for visitors. We are always competing with Charlotte, Asheville, Greensboro, Fayetteville, Winston-Salem, Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill to attract people.”

Schmidt said Greenville and Pitt County’s greatest assets are the people.
“We have a unique community,” he said. “In big cities, they don’t say hello, hold doors open for you and ask how they can help. Our community tag line is ‘You’re in good company’ because that’s the kind of hospitality people find when they come here.”

With a mission to foster superior travel and tourism experiences in Greenville and Pitt County and educate potential visitors about this area, the bureau’s staff uses no local ad valorem taxes, but instead draws from the 6 percent hotel and motel occupancy tax to provide its services.

Tourism contributes $5 billion annually to the state’s payroll, saving about $450 in taxes per household each year and employing more than 200,000 residents statewide, according to information Schmidt provided from the state tourism website, www.visitnc.com.

Schmidt said the county often cooperates with the state tourism office to market North Carolina first.
“We know if we get them to North Carolina, we know we have a better opportunity to get them to Greenville and Pitt County,” he said.

Since 2011, Pitt County has shown steady growth in tourism expenditures, growing from about $194 million in 2011 to about $219 million dollars generated in 2015, placing it at 21st among North Carolina’s 100 counties for tourism income, according to the N.C. Commerce Department. About 2,000 Pitt County jobs are directly related to travel and tourism, generating $40 million in payroll. As a result, $88.50 less in taxes were paid in 2015 by each Greenville and Pitt County resident due to travel and tourism.

The Convention and Visitors Bureau targets its marketing toward meetings and conventions, educational seminars, sports, the SMERF (social, military, educational, reunion and fraternal) market and leisure travel — primarily culinary- and nature-based tourism. Schmidt spoke about Pitt County being part of the burgeoning craft beer market and said it has been added to the state’s “Beer and Barbecue Trail.”

Sports tourism is big business in Pitt County, Schmidt said. There were 57 sports tournaments held in Pitt County during fiscal year 2015-16.

“It gives me some heartburn at night thinking that in 2015 we actually turned away more tournaments than we hosted because we don’t have enough facilities to accommodate the schedule,” Schmidt said.
Eco-tourism also is a strong focal point for the CVB, Schmidt said.

“We want to get people out on the Tar River and educate them about its recreational and aesthetic value,” he said. “Right now, we’re looking at it as a regional project, including Nash, Edgecombe, Pitt and Beaufort counties. Our ultimate goal is to get people to come down the Tar River and stop in Greenville for the night, whether at a hotel or on one of the many new camping platforms being built. One challenge is to find an educated person to lead those tours.”

Schmidt envisioned half-day tours through River Park North, connected by water traffic across the Tar as a source for leisure tourism and educational tourism.

It might be a while before Greenville and Pitt County become the preferred destination for one particular leisure attraction, Schmidt said, but saw it more likely to continue growing into the type of destination that offers something for everyone.
“Right now, the truth is that we’re not on an even playing field with Raleigh, but I’m excited to think about Greenville five or 10 years from now with many more social, cultural and hospitality attractions than it has now,” he said. “I think when people hear Greenville mentioned, they’ll say, ‘Yeah, I’ve been there. It’s a really cool place.’”

Old 04-20-2017, 08:24 AM

112 posts, read 102,961 times
The Coffee shop on Beacon Drive in Winterville has a new name/owner (again). It is called "The Biscuit & the Bean" and they have an official Facebook page up and running. Hopefully they are able to stick around.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:33 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
With Downtown Greenville continuing to get better...you would hope that hotels downtown would sprout up...THAT could make downtown a real go to spot for folks from out of town. Stop putting up hotels over by the Hospital and start giving incentives for them to locate downtown.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:40 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,344 times
I agree HP. The Dickinson Ave area seems like a great opportunity for one or two , since it's so close to ECU and the hospital. It will be nice whenever ECU alumni-centric hotel gets off the ground. I saw renderings for it once (it may somewhere in this thread) but that was a couple of years ago, I think. I'm not asking for a 5 star Marriott down there, but a nice Fairfield , Hampton, or Holiday Inn or two would be a great addition. I think the key to attracting these hotels would be to find a space to host small-medium conventions and events and work to build around that center. The convention center isn't moving downtown, but I wonder if some partnership could be done with an existing hotel brand to build a hotel and 15-20k sq ft. convention center somewhere in the Dickinson Ave area.

Otherwise someone find a way to buy the Ficklen warehouses from UNX , then renovate and build a performing arts/convention center/art museum extension right there. Hotels will find a way around it.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:44 PM

109 posts, read 104,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
With Downtown Greenville continuing to get better...you would hope that hotels downtown would sprout up...THAT could make downtown a real go to spot for folks from out of town. Stop putting up hotels over by the Hospital and start giving incentives for them to locate downtown.
Whatever happened to the Hilton that was supposed to go up downtown?

Old 04-20-2017, 01:14 PM

839 posts, read 1,039,416 times
It's still in the works as far as I know. I haven't heard a date lately though. The ECU one-stop shop building across the street & parking deck is still in the works as well...hopefully in 3 years or so (we will see how long it takes), a lot of things have stretched it out a little.

Old 04-20-2017, 02:03 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
It's still in the works as far as I know. I haven't heard a date lately though. The ECU one-stop shop building across the street & parking deck is still in the works as well...hopefully in 3 years or so (we will see how long it takes), a lot of things have stretched it out a little.
It is amazing how long it has stretched out...look at all of the new construction occurring all around downtown...yet ECU's surface lots downtown remain. Maybe they want to finish with the Student Center/deck first then construction will start. If so, lets move the Student Center along...its finally starting to go vertical.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 AM

1,673 posts, read 2,040,411 times
Greenville opens additional spots to public in downtown parking garage

Old 04-21-2017, 07:10 PM

82 posts, read 98,276 times
Financial Times ranks Greenville in top 10 for financial feasibility
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina