U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 08:42 AM

293 posts, read 270,529 times

Advertisements

What is the timeline on the ECU one-stop-shop? It really is incredible how much is slated for Uptown and it just keep coming!

The pay for parking issue is also a cultural shift. The natives aren't used to paying for parking, or walking to a kiosk etc. Its no thing in Raleigh or Durham, but starting out Greenville is just going to have to deal with growing pains and find that perfect balance that eases the community into it while making sure you don't scare them away from Uptown and the businesses located there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 11:06 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,165 times
Last year it was said the One Stop Building was supposed to be open in 3 years...but, various departments have been squabbling about the layout, cubicles vs. offices and space...so it's gotten dragged out a bit. If you take people out of an 'office' and stick them in an open cubical environment, you're going to have push back and probably some turnover.

I'll be shocked if it's up and ready in three years personally.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:50 PM

11 posts, read 8,951 times
Hey, I might have missed this in an earlier discussion, but what's being built at the SE corner of 5th and Albemarle?

Old 05-18-2017, 05:54 PM

1,672 posts, read 2,039,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kagi View Post
Hey, I might have missed this in an earlier discussion, but what's being built at the SE corner of 5th and Albemarle?

Frat or sorority (one or the other) house - replacing a house that was razed to build student housing near Krispy Kreme.

Old 05-19-2017, 03:35 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,357,134 times
new Theta Chi house

Old 05-19-2017, 05:21 AM

4,624 posts, read 3,032,686 times
Mayors gather in Greenville, examine rural-urban divisions - Daily Reflector

Old 05-19-2017, 07:35 AM

11 posts, read 8,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Frat or sorority (one or the other) house - replacing a house that was razed to build student housing near Krispy Kreme.
Ah. As you were.

Old 05-19-2017, 11:30 AM

839 posts, read 1,039,165 times
The City of Greenville now has a new online GIS map...

https://gisonline.greenvillenc.gov/g...nk/default.htm

Old 05-20-2017, 01:14 PM

112 posts, read 102,935 times
The old Morgan Printers building at Evans & Red Banks was razed. Looks like construction for the new Audi Dealership will begin fairly soon.

Old 05-21-2017, 06:24 AM

1,019 posts, read 1,002,816 times
Winterville debuts new farmer's market.

Winterville celebrates new farmers market - Daily Reflector

Quote:
WINTERVILLE — Town officials and community members opened a downtown, open-air farmers market with a grand opening celebration.

Located on an empty lot on the corner of Main and Church streets, Market on the Square is the culmination of work by the Winterville Town Council and Winterville’s economic developer Stephen Penn.
“The location is in the heart of Winterville allowing easy access and its pedestrian-friendly,” Penn said. “The market will offer patrons fresh produce and healthy items.”

Penn hopes the market grows and becomes community-owned.
“The main purpose is to create a community event that the community will eventually make their own. My hope is the community partners with the town to run or manage the market,” he said.

The Winterville Chamber of Commerce hosted a ribbon cutting May 11. The market will operate 4-8 p.m. every Thursday.
“We're so excited to have something new for our town,” said Debbie Avery, the director of the Winterville Chamber of Commerce.

Boasting 18 vendors for starter, the market is scheduled to run throughout the summer.
“It promotes local vendors. It promotes some of our local farms. And we're just starting, so I know this is going to be picking up,” said Winterville Councilman John Hill. “I think it's going to be a great thing for our community.”
For Mike and Cheryl Keller, who sell their honey in farmers markets throughout the state, having one locally is a big help.
“We live right down the road here. We thought it was pretty great,” Cheryl said of Market on the Square’s opening.

Mike added, “It's nice that Winterville has somewhere to have a farmers market.”
The Market on the Square is a great networking tool, according to vendor Elizabeth Allen of Happy Hummus.
“This gives us a lot of exposure to people in the community. It also helps us with ... meeting other people who are doing the same thing that we are,” Allen said.

Happy Hummus is available in local health food stores. Allen is hoping to soon have her product in grocery stores.
Winterville residents, many of whom have had to go shop at farmers markets in Greenville and Snow Hill, expressed satisfaction at the convenience of having a market in their backyard.

“I'm at the age where I had to quit raising a garden, so I can come out here and buy my squash and whatever I want,” said Winterville resident Robert Briley said.
Cissy Davis, who grew up in Winterville and was visiting last week from Minnesota, was thrilled to see her hometown pursuing projects like this.

“I like things like this and I'm glad to see Winterville expanding and doing things,” she said.
The farmers market was first considered last year by the Winterville Town Council with the late Councilman Ron Cooper leading the charge to get it up and running.

Organizers also hope to feature live entertainment by local musicians and recruit food trucks.
“It is an open and creative space. We want to make the area what the community desires, and what the community can support,” Penn said. “We want it to grow and change overtime.”

The town has partnered with Pitt Community College and plans to partner with local schools to allow band and dance students to perform and give art and STEM students a place to showcase their work with the local community.
Market on the Square features produce, vegetables, garden plants, fresh seafood, snowballs, baked goods, salsas, hummus, jewelry and more.

The vendor fee is $25 for the season for a 10 by 10 foot space. To become a vendor or for more information, email Penn at Stephen.Penn@wintervillenc.com or call 252-215-2360.
Patrons may park along the street near the market or in the parking lot of Winterville Baptist Church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina