U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2017, 06:46 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,892 times

Advertisements

Dickinson Ave is really going places with local shops & restaurants. It's very exciting to see so many businesses interested in joining the area. It will be a great place to visit in a couple of years once the apartments are completed, the 10th street connector is done and Dickinson is resurfaced.

The red buildings ... anyone know if they will stay red or if they'll be repainted by a developer, I find them to be quite ugly to be honest, they do not fit with the area any longer...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 06:56 AM

1,070 posts, read 987,605 times
Is that an illusion or are the windows falling out of the middle one?

Old 05-25-2017, 07:06 AM

4,674 posts, read 3,065,858 times
Resolution on 10th Street Connector stirs debate - Daily Reflector

Old 05-25-2017, 07:26 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,044,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Is that an illusion or are the windows falling out of the middle one?
I've seen them up close. They're in rough shape. You should see the brick walls on the 8th St side of the UNX warehouse. I wouldn't be surprised if a mass of bricks ends up on the street.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:36 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,006,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missaj417 View Post
I haven't seen this mentioned on this thread yet but there is another restaurant coming to uptown. It's called Ford and Shep. It's being opened by the executive chef from Villedge, so I suspect the food will he be great. They have a Facebook page. The address is 718 Dickinson ave.
Here's the FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/FordandShep/

Great to see this growth. I can't wait to see what type of vibe Ford & Shep will have. That makes 4 restaurants (F&S, Smash Waffles, Luna Pizza, DAPH) , 2 breweries (Trollingwood, Pitt Street), and the Whirligig Stage that are here or coming this year and will be turning that section of Dickinson into what it should be.

I think now is the time for Greenville to officially nickname this area and try to market it as a subsection of Uptown. I know "LoDo" was thrown around here for a while and any good nickname will do. But this area is starting to become a "thing" now, and I would love to see "LoDo" stickers (similar to the OBX oval) being sold in the businesses in that district. Or it would be cool to buy a #LoveGVL t-shirt from Jefferson's or at a show at Whirligig . It would even great to see a small gift shop somewhere in the district, selling all sorts of Greenville related merchandise.

Technically, this area is called the Dickinson Avenue Arts and Innovation District, so I ran some ideas through an acronym maker and came up with a couple of decent acronyms.

GAIN - Greenville Arts and Innovation District
GREEN - GREenville ENtertainment District
GAID - Greenville Arts and Innovation District
DARD - Dickinson ARts District
UPEND - UPtown ENtertainment District

I think I like the UPEND District the best. To upend literally means to turn something on its end or upside down, which is exactly what they're trying to do with this area. Also, it could be interpreted as the geographic separation between Uptown and the rest of Greenville, the "end" of "UP"town. Works on more than one level. Probably sounds weird, but I think they have to come up with something soon.
-------

The ECU student center looks very impressive!

Last edited by michealbond; 05-25-2017 at 08:45 AM..

Old 05-25-2017, 08:46 AM

839 posts, read 1,040,892 times
Quote:
I've seen them up close. They're in rough shape. You should see the brick walls on the 8th St side of the UNX warehouse. I wouldn't be surprised if a mass of bricks ends up on the street.
I guess that answers my question that those buildings have not yet been renovated. Thanks. I couldn't tell looking at the photo if they had or not. I'm sure they'll be painted to match the area once someone steps up & works on these.

On a side note, I was reading the story on the ECU Student Center & they talked about the amount of foot traffic in the area once the student center is complete and the apartment complex is completed. That is going to be a lot of students back and forth over 10th street which is only going to get busier as the connector is completed. I'd love to see a raised cross walk be put here for pedestrians. I realize this will probably never happen but it would be a smart move. Same thing could be said for the crossing on 10th Street and College Hill.

Last edited by jpirate; 05-25-2017 at 08:49 AM.. Reason: er

Old 05-25-2017, 08:55 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,006,211 times
GOScience is having a celebration for merging with A Time for Science

A Time for Science, Go-Science celebrate merger with free event

Quote:
A Time for Science and Go-Science are celebrating their merger with a free event Thursday night in Greenville.

It's called "Full STEAM Ahead: Celebrating Science in the City," and it kicks off at 6:30 p.m. at 729 Dickinson Ave., Greenville.

Jupiter Jones will perform at this family-friendly event featuring exhibits, face painting, bounce houses and cool exhibits. Dickinson Avenue Public House will be serving brisket, and Trollingwood Brewery is donating a portion of their proceeds tonight to the science centers.

For more details, call (252) 531-7203 or email emily@atimeforscience.org.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:16 AM

1,070 posts, read 987,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
I guess that answers my question that those buildings have not yet been renovated. Thanks. I couldn't tell looking at the photo if they had or not. I'm sure they'll be painted to match the area once someone steps up & works on these.
They were renovated a few years ago. That's when they were painted, too. I guess the renovations were only skin deep.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:06 AM

294 posts, read 271,956 times
Those red buildings are owned by the owner/operator of the Greenville Times publication. I saw this the other day about some renovations? https://www.facebook.com/ryan.webb.9...5457748665039/

The yellow building on the opposite end is completely useless too BTW. Its a tear down that needs to happen. I know that the apartment complex had shown interest in it at one time but I don't know if the owners wanted to sell to them.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:29 PM

36 posts, read 27,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
Those red buildings are owned by the owner/operator of the Greenville Times publication. I saw this the other day about some renovations? https://www.facebook.com/ryan.webb.9...5457748665039/

The yellow building on the opposite end is completely useless too BTW. Its a tear down that needs to happen. I know that the apartment complex had shown interest in it at one time but I don't know if the owners wanted to sell to them.
I think there's loft apartments in that entire building..both the recently renovated and the red paint side.

Walked by the location that this Ford & Shep will go the other day and there was a sign for Smash Waffle in the window. Will these two restaurants split the space? Smash Waffle hasn't publicly announced their location as far as I know, so maybe the sign is just promotion and not necessarily reflecting their future location.

Really interested to see the continued development of this area. The transformation has been crazy just in the past couple years; I can't imagine what it will look like in another two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina