U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 09:21 PM

1,069 posts, read 985,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gvillejb View Post
Looks like they will be adding to the strip center by the Wal Mart on Tenth. Looks like only store so far will be Soffee.

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/5B304...64102A351F.pdf
Interesting, they must be expanding into retail. They only have three other stores and two are in outlet malls.

http://www.soffe.com/retail-stores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2017, 05:40 AM

293 posts, read 271,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Discount Tire is actually a good chain. Glad to see them come to town.
The convention district is obnoxious. It is a nice facility that is limited by the walkability (lack of) of the area. I hope that eventually they build a new one UpTown....

Old 06-29-2017, 08:46 AM

Calling it the Convention District is obnoxious. It's barely two blocks.

It does need to be somewhere else but I don't know where. Not downtown unless a large deck is built to serve it.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:48 AM

Council to pick interim mayor July 6 - Daily Reflector

Hopefully they choose someone worthwhile. Nobody on the current council impresses me.

Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 AM

181 posts, read 215,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Thank goodness. I certainly have not always sided with PJ on various issues during his time on the city council...but I'd feel a million times better about PJ than I would Mercer or Smith! Glad he's running.
Agreed!

Old 06-29-2017, 08:19 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,004,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Calling it the Convention District is obnoxious. It's barely two blocks.

It does need to be somewhere else but I don't know where. Not downtown unless a large deck is built to serve it.

Agree. It should go somewhere else but won't. They have spent too much money upgrading the current convention center. But it would be nice to have something uptown. Maybe a smaller "civic" center (roughly the size of a large high school gym) could work. There simply needs to be something uptown to guarantee a large amount of people will be in the area a few times a week.

Or they could go big and find a large plot of land near the bypass and create a new mixed use sports & entertainment complex where they could partner with developers to build retail, office, housing, hotels,and one or more of the following: performing arts center, baseball stadium and/or civic arena. I know there's a huge piece of land behind Sears/Fresh Market/Dicks/Kohls that would a great place for this type of development, IMO. I'm sure it could even be configured so that it gives off a "city" feel. Almost like taking the Mayfaire shopping center in Wilmington and replacing the cinema with a 2500 seat stadium.

Old 06-30-2017, 10:32 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times
I always thought those big fields around Stantonsburg/B's Barbecue/Northern Bypass was ripe for a nice North Hills/Mixed use development. Right beside a freeway and the Hospital.

Old 07-01-2017, 04:35 AM

4,634 posts, read 3,044,259 times
Publix opens this morning.

Greenville Publix opens at 7 a.m. Saturday

Old 07-01-2017, 11:34 AM

I ordered a sub from Publix for lunch. The place was packed, parking lot almost full. I swear they had almost as many employees as customers though. No lines because they had every checkout lane open... I didn't even have to wait.

Old 07-01-2017, 12:44 PM

82 posts, read 98,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
The convention district is obnoxious. It is a nice facility that is limited by the walkability (lack of) of the area. I hope that eventually they build a new one UpTown....
Agreed. But, I think if they could raze and rebuild the buildings between Hooker and Brimley (especially the eye-sore of a gas station), the place would look a lot better. The whole area just looks old and outdated. Also, I think if they would work on the Hooker Rd Corridor and have a nice-looking street that led to Dickinson, it would help link the Convention center and Uptown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina