U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2017, 10:33 AM

294 posts, read 272,121 times

Advertisements

What about Wimbledon? Could that road be widened slightly and modified to accomplish this same goal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 01:07 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,045,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
What about Wimbledon? Could that road be widened slightly and modified to accomplish this same goal?
Not without razing some buildings, not really worth it...

Old 07-24-2017, 01:58 PM

294 posts, read 272,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Not without razing some buildings, not really worth it...
I know its snug but its already a two lane road. I can't believe the new road they're floating would be more than that.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:12 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,006,674 times
Wakeboard park a hit

Cable park making a splash - Daily Reflector

Quote:
SCUFFLETON — A new recreation area that uses a cable system to pull visitors on skis and wakeboards across the water is drawing visitors from near and far to Scuffleton near the Pitt County line.

Cable Paradise Park is the brainchild of Sam Burney, 23, a 2016 graduate of the East Carolina University’s College of Business and native of Concord. He opened the cable wakeboarding and outdoor entertainment complex in June.
It features two two-tower cable systems designed to pull a rider on a wakeboard or skis approximately 600 feet across a small lake.

Wakeboarding and skiing has long been popular among boating enthusiasts. The cable park now provides the opportunity for experienced skiers and wakeboarders, as well as amateurs, to enjoy the sport without a boat, waves or a large body of water.

Since the rope is on a remote-controlled overhead pulley, it can be easily reversed so that the rider can enjoy more even rides in 10-minute increments compared to waiting for a boat to reposition.

Burney and the sole Paradise employee, Jake Eggett, a friend from Concord attending East Carolina University, operate Cable Paradise Park, which offers lessons, equipment rentals and both individual and group rates.
For the general admission price of $5, the park also offers a shallow sandy beach area for swimming and games.
Burney has always dreamed of owning a business and found the park to be a feasible, relatively low-cost initial investment that would combine his dream and his passion for boarding sports.

While attending East Carolina University, Burney realized there were few opportunities in the area to enjoy outdoor sports, and participants are used to driving some distance to enjoy wakeboarding.

“I’ve already had people coming from Burlington, New Bern, Raleigh and all over. I pretty much knew it would work, I just had to find the right size body of water, highway visibility and electrical hookup. This area has a lot of these bodies of water,” Burney said, referring to the sand pit typically mined for highway construction and filled naturally from underground. “I looked for a location for nine months before I found this one.”
The 21-acre site was a perfect fit.

“A lot of people didn’t take me seriously,” he said.

His focus on entrepreneurship and small business in college, as well as the self-motivation he learned from participating in boarding sports, prepared him for the venture, Burney said.

“I work well with a team, but with boarding, you have to learn to fall down and get back up by yourself,” he said, adding that business classes gave him the toolset for working out the financial statement, marketing and operating plan.

Burney had a chance to pitch his idea at a competition associated with Spazz Fest in Greenville earlier this year, similar to the popular TV show “Shark Tank.” Winning first place let him know he was on the right track.
While the park now offers some lakeside activities and amenities, Burney’s ultimate goal is to include concessions, a sales room, restrooms and more outdoor games, like a trampoline, horseshoes, cornhole and Frisbee for the whole family.

As an avid board sports enthusiast since he was a child, Burney hopes to expose as many people as possible to the sport of wakeboarding.

“A lot of people don’t even know what it is, and even more people don’t know what cable wakeboarding is all about. What I want to do is get the 7-to-13 age crowd out here, learning to wakeboard and get interested in it, because that’s going to sustain the business long term,” he said.

“I have wakeboarders driving the distance now, but to get the 13-year-old that lives up the road exposed to it, begging his mom to take him and then drive himself here, and continue to come when he attends ECU. Getting them really into it locally is what is going to make the wakeboarding boom.”

There are only two other wake parks in the Carolinas: in Semora, near the Virginia border, and Myrtle Beach, S.C.
Jim Baker and his son, Ward, 13, of Burlington recently enjoyed a Saturday at Cable Paradise Park.
“He loves the cables and we had to come here to try out the new park,” Baker said, adding that Ward is experienced and has been to the other parks in the region. “I grew up riding behind a boat and now my kids are wakeboarding too. It’s kind of natural for them to get into it. A lot of people don’t want to buy a boat or can’t afford a boat. So this is a way for them to get introduced into it without incurring the cost of buying a boat. (The cable) has really grown the sport, and I’m glad. A lot of kids are getting into it. It’s pretty neat. I want to support these guys doing these parks.”

Ayden residents Dean and Tammy McLawhorn were out riding their motorcycles earlier this month and decided to see stop in to see what the park was all about.

“We’ve got some grandkids and are thinking about bringing them down,” Dean said.
Spencer and Tabitha Albritton of Farmville and son, Ryan, 7, also visited park for the first time recently. While Ryan gathered his courage after a fall, his father geared up for his turn.

“He loves to wakeboard,” Tabitha said of her husband. “He works with Greenville Fire-Rescue and I’m a nurse at Vidant Medical Center. We don’t usually have a lot of days off together. I love it. It’s a great idea. I think it’s awesome already.”

Tabitha, who is four months pregnant, enjoyed the beach area.
“If I wasn’t pregnant, I’d try it. It looks pretty fun,” she said.

Having a park so close to home will give Spencer plenty of opportunity to introduce wakeboarding to his son.
“Being able to do it without a boat is nice. If it’s something he likes to do, I’m sure we’ll be back,” he said.
Adam and Misty Barrett of Farmville, their children, Colton, 2, Addyson, 6, and Austin, 10, along with Misty’s mother, Teresa Harris, and brother, James Harris and his three children, Lettie, 1, Chelsia, 4, and Jesse, 6, all of Farmville, enjoyed the lake.

“We go to Atlantic Beach right much. We were going this weekend, but we didn’t. This is a whole lot closer,” Adam said, adding that he, too, grew up participating in watersports on the Pamlico River and planned to give the cable a try.

Greenville residents Ryan and Corrine Davis also enjoyed escaping the heat with a dip in the water.
“It’s a nice little place to come and play in the water,” Corrine said. “It’s a little warm today, but it’s nice to have the water to cool off in.”

Ryan, also an experienced boat wakeboarder, gave the cable a try.
“I swallowed about two bellies full of water, but I’ll try it again,” Ryan said.
The Standard Laconic is based in Snow Hill and covers all of Greene County.

WANT TO GO?

Cable Paradise Park, 9271 N.C. 903, Ayden, is open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday through Sunday. To learn more, visit cableparadisepark.com or search “Cable Paradise Park” on Facebook.
This is pretty cool. I'm really surprised there aren't more outdoor/watersport related business in all of eastern NC. It still boggles my mind that no one has tried to use those small lakes directly north of the river on 264 (by Hastings Ford) as a watersports / recreation spot. Seems like it could be filled with kayaks and pedal boats and have a small beach /picnic area for families.

Old 07-25-2017, 12:51 PM

1,070 posts, read 988,189 times
When I was a kid there was a golf driving range on one of those lakes on 264 called Big Splash. It was a lot of fun. They used floatable golf balls and you hit them out into the water.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:37 PM

839 posts, read 1,041,089 times
^ I use to love that place when I was a kid. There was also a club / bar out there in that same area my parents would go to alot...i forget the name.

Old 07-25-2017, 02:16 PM

105 posts, read 181,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
^ I use to love that place when I was a kid. There was also a club / bar out there in that same area my parents would go to alot...i forget the name.

Hard Times- i'm pretty sure was the name.. It was a country bar with live bands and a mechanical bull.. i believe is the one you are talking about.. it burned down and never re-opened. The building is still there in those woods. There are a couple of paved roads that have been overgrown with trees and nature in there too. Its really interesting.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:18 AM

1,022 posts, read 1,006,674 times
Increased occupancy tax revenue for Pitt County hotels:

Increased occupancy tax revenue promising sign, official says - Daily Reflector

Quote:
Hotels in Pitt County saw a significant increase in business this year resulting in a 20 percent jump in occupancy tax revenues over last fiscal year, the Greenville-Pitt County Convention and Visitors Bureau reported on Tuesday.

The bureau’s 2016-17 report showed $1,150,422 in occupancy tax was collected this fiscal year over the $956,561 collected in 2015-16. The tax, which is paid by anyone checking into a hotel, is a good measure of hotel business, and the increase in revenue is an extraordinary sign for the growth of the area’s tourism, said Andrew Schmidt, the director of the bureau.

Schmidt said Hurricane Matthew, which forced many to seek shelter in local hotels, affected revenues but does not account for all of the increase.

The hurricane hit Greenville in early October, and many people had to evacuate their homes and stay in local hotels. Some were forced to remain in hotels until damage could be repaired. The bureau reported that $102,850 in occupancy tax was collected in November as a result of the October stays — revenues are typically delayed by a month.

That was a nearly 40 percent increase over the $72,743 collected in November 2015, Schmitt said. All other months, with the exception of July 2016 and October 2016, saw an increase of at least 20 percent or more. In June, the bureau collected $106,721, a 23.5% increase over the $83,362.56 collected in June 2016.

The occupancy tax is the bureau’s only source of revenue, all of which is utilized for tourism development. Tourism pumps millions into the local economy each year at area hotels, restaurants and retail outlets. People come to the area for youth and college sporting events, recreation and reunions and for business.

Schmidt said an increase in occupancy tax is a sign of a healthy city and county, and a 5 to 8 percent increase is expected annually. He said the considerably higher increase this year is a sign of many positive developments, not just the unfortunate increase due to Hurricane Matthew.

“I’m thrilled,” he said. “Personally I don’t like the fact that part of the increase is because of a hurricane, because I don’t want a hurricane, but the other part of it is that we’re seeing Greenville emerge as a city that people want to travel to ... It’s a good sign, it’s a really good healthy sign for a city that, I think, has really broken out of its boundaries in the last years. It’s great to see.”
The occupancy tax is a 6 percent tax based on the hotel’s daily rates. According to Schmidt, occupancy rates and daily rates for hotels in the area have risen, indicating that hotels are seeing more business.

Conventions and sports tourism account for a good portion of the increase, Schmitt said. Exact correlations and data reflecting this is being collected for a detailed report, but preliminary signs show an increased number of conventions and tournaments in the area.

Additionally, an increased number of offerings from Airbnb — an online service that allows individuals to offer their property for short-term lodging — have led to a higher occupancy tax intake. Currently, 106 Airbnb locations are in Pitt County, all of which must pay occupancy tax.

Though they make a relatively small difference in end-of-year tax revenues, the increasing presence of Airbnb locations indicates a growing interest in the area.

Schmidt said he also credits the growth of Greenville for the increased tax revenue. Large construction projects throughout Greenville bring a number of construction workers and other professionals related to the projects to hotels in the area.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:42 AM

http://wraltechwire.com/top-verizon-...jobs/16841771/

A Wireless (ABC Phones) it's moving its headquarters out of Greenville to Raleigh.

Old 07-26-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPLANNER View Post
Hard Times- i'm pretty sure was the name.. It was a country bar with live bands and a mechanical bull.. i believe is the one you are talking about.. it burned down and never re-opened. The building is still there in those woods. There are a couple of paved roads that have been overgrown with trees and nature in there too. Its really interesting.
It was Hard Times. I drove back up in there a few years ago. Someone was trying to launch a gun range where Big Splash was but I'm not sure it ever opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina