U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2017, 11:56 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,194,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
It's almost like they're embarrassed by their location.
I know in college football, it's seen as a negative.

And don't respond with the UNC's, USC's and Northwestern.

Look at what UCF did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 12:57 PM

1,070 posts, read 988,189 times
UCF still uses their full name in academic branding. Branding athletics as ECU isn't so bad but branding the academic side that way is a slap in the face to the community.

Old 08-19-2017, 12:59 PM

839 posts, read 1,041,089 times
Yeah, directional schools are seen as second rate teams in the college sports world. Distancing ourselves from that is a smart move.

Old 08-19-2017, 09:49 PM

181 posts, read 185,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
UCF still uses their full name in academic branding. Branding athletics as ECU isn't so bad but branding the academic side that way is a slap in the face to the community.
That seems a bit dramatic, does it not?

Old 08-20-2017, 02:53 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,049,419 times
Hey, it could have easily had a worse name. How about the Down East University. I absolutely hate when someone calls the Greenville area Down East. As is my understanding, Down East is an area closer to the Crystal Coast.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:42 AM

294 posts, read 272,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
It's almost like they're embarrassed by their location.
Hardly. ECU is no stranger to eastern NC and the people of eastern NC know or should know full well the positive impact that ECU has on this region. The ECU brand about about a national image. ECU is unmistakable while we have seen the continued use of Eastern Carolina University while attempting to use East Carolina. ECU is possibly the only East, where as many institutions have Eastern in their name. As such we are rolled into that and our brand is muddled. Going with ECU is similar to the likes of TCU (Texas Christian), BYU (Brigham Young), SMU (Southern Methodist), UCF (Central Florida), or USF (South Florida). ECU has been relegated, internally and externally, to regional status long enough.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Oh really? https://www.ucf.edu/brand/brand-asse...entity-system/

"To promote unity, clarity and consistency of our visual identity, this system is designed to leverage the equity of our brand. UCF is the primary branded entity in every communication. Divisions, offices and subunits are identified within the brand context."

Take two minutes to peruse that website and tell me how many times you see UCF vs University of Central Florida.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:08 PM

1,070 posts, read 988,189 times
The very top of that website says University of Central Florida. Unless I have missed something, Staton hasn't released a new wordmark for East Carolina University, which leads me to believe that they plan to brand everything solely as ECU.

Look, I understand the rationale behind the branding change, but I do not agree with it. Contrary to my username, I graduated from there. The degree on my wall says East Carolina University. If people ask where I went to school, I say East Carolina University. The East/Eastern thing should be fixed by making ourselves known.

See Applachian State for how to be a regional university but be proud of your name and heritage and let everyone know it.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:30 PM

66 posts, read 237,922 times
Quote:
The very top of that website says University of Central Florida. Unless I have missed something, Staton hasn't released a new wordmark for East Carolina University, which leads me to believe that they plan to brand everything solely as ECU.

Look, I understand the rationale behind the branding change, but I do not agree with it. Contrary to my username, I graduated from there. The degree on my wall says East Carolina University. If people ask where I went to school, I say East Carolina University. The East/Eastern thing should be fixed by making ourselves known.

See Applachian State for how to be a regional university but be proud of your name and heritage and let everyone know it.
X100 to this! There is only one East Carolina, there are several ECU's. They can brand and rebrand until their heads explode but most people will say East Carolina University, as well they should.

Old 08-21-2017, 08:39 AM

There is only one East Carolina, but there are plethora of other Eastern Something Universities. We have never been able to establish East vs Eastern and its lost in the shuffle. East Carolina University will still be used, like UCF does and it will still be on diplomas but the focus will be on ECU just like UCF et al.

Appalachian State is apples to oranges. Yes they've had some notable sports achievements but that isn't why people might know Appalachian State and trust me, their "known" in this area, but hardly at all else where. There is only one Appalachian State. If they were to go with ASU they'd be overshadowed by Arizona State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina