U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 01:56 PM

3,292 posts, read 5,460,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratePanther189 View Post
I think you're giving Boone a bit too much credit, and for the record Greenville SC's downtown area really isn't substantially larger than ours in terms of square footage if you will -- but they're obviously making much better use of it. You're overlooking the fact that all those empty and underutilized lots downtown are full-sized city blocks.

It's not totally unrealistic to make Greenville SC your overall goal. Their growth pattern was very abnormal but it took a lot of teamwork (namely the Tax Increment Financing that you weren't a big fan of a few posts back) and was very grassroots, so it proves that it's possible. With that said, it should be the goal not the expectation. The makeup of Greenville SC all things considered isn't much different than Greenville NC.

I also do agree with you that Athens should be a goal -- but see the thing about Athens is that it's really treated like Chapel Hill in Georgia. Atlanta wants Athens to be beautiful because it's where their state flagship university is located. Raleigh doesn't care about Greenville in that sense because Greenville doesn't hold any crown jewels.

Charlottesville is far too small for us to mimic realistically. It's a lot easier to stay beautiful when you have half the public works expense.

I do agree with you that Greenville needs to be the Home of ECU first and foremost. And I don't think that it does an overly poor job of that. What you see from leaders is a result of making Playboy Top Party School so many times..it's sexy to tell voters that ECU needs to tone it down. The reality is that the city and ECU work hand in hand in just about everything -- hell ECU strategically worked with the city to buy up 1/2 of downtown and an entire warehouse district for its vision.

I don't agree with you when you insinuate that we shouldn't work toward striking a more delicate balance that promotes all of those wealthy people not paying city taxes to come live in the city limits and/or head toward center city to eat and hang out. Shopping, no Greenville is never going to be a shopping destination, but it can be the cultural center of Eastern NC. The truth is we don't know what that entirely looks like yet because the word urban and Eastern North Carolina have never been near each other.

But, the Athens' of the world are what they are because they have a nice balance in place.
I agree with all that was said here. We donít know how an urban East Carolina would look, but I do hope we can all collaborate on ideas to make our community a more attractive place for the young professionals that ECU produces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 02:08 PM

378 posts, read 255,672 times
http://www.greenvillenc.gov/home/showdocument?id=14981

This is made in 2017.

Old 08-27-2017, 02:25 PM

I feel the need to reiterate that the proposals I’ve made are subject to change for I want to input of you all, but more importantly their mostly going to be difficult to accomplish — I refuse to shy away from our community and her advancement. I not only want to make Greenville a National leader for being a forward thinking community for her size, but to improve the quality of life for the great citizens of Coastal Carolina as a whole. Provided I do run for an office in Greenville, I recognize there will be push back against many of the ideas I have. I mean who am I? A guy who lived in Greenville for most of his life, a guy who disliked living there but did recognize the potential the place has. Never did I think I’d hope to move back to Greenville from the DC area in an attempt to have our community rally behind an idea that is to make Greenville and the area a better place but I’ll need all of your help.

We’ve moved in a positive direction for years now, but I want us to not be afraid to hit the throttle every now and again and take a risk. I want us tackling the issue of social mobility in our community with ending homelessness, it’s ambitious but I’ve seen both larger and smaller cities at least set the goal. We have the brain capital to do it. For a city so concerned about her medical center, I want to expand upon that idea and make us a center for wellness. I cannot tell you how embarrassing it is to take people from other cities to visit Greenville and we can only eat Cookout, Fuji, and Ernie’s, I will work diligently with those who aspire to open healthier options in our city. I want ECU, just as the Chancellor, to break out of the mindset that it’s ‘just some regional university’ to being a global powerhouse. These ideas are not asinine, these are ideas to make Greenville a place where people want to live.

I’m not sure about the age of everyone here, but every single young person I talk to is, for the lack of better words, disappointed in their experience in Greenville. It doesn’t have to be that way, and if we can all collaborate on ideas, it won’t be that way. I do hope in the near future some of us can meet at Barnes and Noble (or wherever is best) and have additional input on some of my proposals, to hear your proposals, and cultivate a relationship with a guy who hopes to take our city to the next level.

Thank you for reading,

Demetrius

Old 08-27-2017, 03:35 PM

1,079 posts, read 997,669 times
We have far different opinions of what Greenville is and what we want it to be as a place to live. I miss the Greenville that I lived in as a kid. I'm in my 30s and I have worked downtown for literally my entire adult life. Every year it takes longer to get to/from work. Having to be downtown in the first place is becoming pure hell. The planners have done a terrible job of managing growth and continue to do so. Trying to grow more when we don't have the infrastructure to do so just doesn't work.

I admire your aspirations and you should be proud, but based on your platform I would not vote for you.

edited to add:
Re comparing to Boone: I probably give Boone more credit because I love the area greatly and my wife and I plan to move to Watauga County in a few years.

I would love to see Greenville grow from a distance once I don't have to deal with it. I'm not the only resident who feels this way. You have an uphill battle.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
We have far different opinions of what Greenville is and what we want it to be as a place to live. I miss the Greenville that I lived in as a kid. I'm in my 30s and I have worked downtown for literally my entire adult life. Every year it takes longer to get to/from work. Having to be downtown in the first place is becoming pure hell. The planners have done a terrible job of managing growth and continue to do so. Trying to grow more when we don't have the infrastructure to do so just doesn't work.

I admire your aspirations and you should be proud, but based on your platform I would not vote for you.

edited to add:
Re comparing to Boone: I probably give Boone more credit because I love the area greatly and my wife and I plan to move to Watauga County in a few years.

I would love to see Greenville grow from a distance once I don't have to deal with it. I'm not the only resident who feels this way. You have an uphill battle.
Iíll quote what I said a few pages back to pre-face my position on growth (this particular quote is about the Southwest Bypass/Beltway):

ďIf Greenville were thinking bigger, that beltway wouldnít be constructed that far down. Greenville, and Pitt County overall, need better growth strategies than encouraging sprawl that far down.ď

I, for one, know how unfortunate the traffic situation is in Greenville, and in-fact used to live in the West End on Dickinson Avenue. Our leaders are making improvements to the infrastructure with the construction of the 10th St Connector, widening a few roads around the city, and building the new transportation center in Uptown but, as Iíve suggeted a few pages back, I want the city to focus on getting more people on buses, expanding our greenway system, and connecting the seemingly incoherent grid of sidewalks. Thatís pro-growth, and pro traffic reduction. Of course itís not an overnight process to improve our challenging traffic situation, but I am more than committed to reducing sprawl that encourages Greenville to be a city that uses other modes of transportation other than our personal vehicles.

We need sustainable growth, and sustainable infrastructure planning and I, for one, have been a proponent of such an idea for as long as I remember. Regarding youíre move to the Boone area, Iíve never been there but I do hope you enjoy Boone, and when I am in whatever position I am in, that you can appreciate knowing you have someone fighting to make Greenville a much better place.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:29 PM

1,079 posts, read 997,669 times
I agree with expanding the greenways and making Greenville a more walkable place. That is one thing we love about Boone. The problem is that rapid growth is happening further out of the city and that will never lend itself to less traffic. I live in Winterville and the growth here is mind blowing. We've been here since the mid 2000s. The building pace slowed when the economy crashed but it has definitely picked back up to pre-2008 levels. Out toward Farmville is growing. Even Ayden is growing.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:37 PM

4,785 posts, read 3,138,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
The southern section needs to go between Ayden and Winterville. The current routing is out of the way. It's Greenville, not NYC or LA. Stick the southern bypass in the middle (insert "that's what she said" joke here) and focus on that and the short piece of the northeast bypass connectng US-264 to US-13. I don't see the urgent need for the remainder of the northeast bypass at the moment. The US-264/US-13 "connector" should be the first piece to be built IMO. The interstate connection to Hampton Roads ain't gonna happen without it.

Assuming the Kinston-Bethel interstate comes to fruition, this could set up the remainder of the beltline to become another I-x87, which would be designated on the northeast and the southeast sections. The Greenville metro would have 3 interstates.

Speaking of Kinston-Bethel, I wonder why there hasn't been any renewed push for the ENC Gateway Act? All talk of it seems to have died after last year's elections...

Old 08-27-2017, 05:21 PM

378 posts, read 255,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The southern section needs to go between Ayden and Winterville. The current routing is out of the way. It's Greenville, not NYC or LA. Stick the southern bypass in the middle (insert "that's what she said" joke here) and focus on that and the short piece of the northeast bypass connectng US-264 to US-13. I don't see the urgent need for the remainder of the northeast bypass at the moment. The US-264/US-13 "connector" should be the first piece to be built IMO. The interstate connection to Hampton Roads ain't gonna happen without it.

Assuming the Kinston-Bethel interstate comes to fruition, this could set up the remainder of the beltline to become another I-x87, which would be designated on the northeast and the southeast sections. The Greenville metro would have 3 interstates.

Speaking of Kinston-Bethel, I wonder why there hasn't been any renewed push for the ENC Gateway Act? All talk of it seems to have died after last year's elections...
http://prntscr.com/gdsi2h

They should do something like this. They should just do the northeast bypass to US-13 for now. They can worry about the northeast to Washington and southeast later. They need to improve Greenville blvd greatly.

Also, This: http://prntscr.com/gdsjnk might get demolished when the northeast bypass to US-13 gets built.

They are gonna throw a lot of medians in roads like evans, arlington, charles, etc.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I agree with expanding the greenways and making Greenville a more walkable place. That is one thing we love about Boone. The problem is that rapid growth is happening further out of the city and that will never lend itself to less traffic. I live in Winterville and the growth here is mind blowing. We've been here since the mid 2000s. The building pace slowed when the economy crashed but it has definitely picked back up to pre-2008 levels. Out toward Farmville is growing. Even Ayden is growing.
Iím glad to hear there is consensus among all of us for expanded greenways and making Greenville more walkable. Youíre absolutely right that much of the growth is happening on the outskirts of Greenville, which is out of reach for my proposals considering I hope to run for City Council or Mayor in the future but one of my proposals is as stated:

Government

ēCreate a regional government/authority between Pitt, Lenior, Wilson, and Beaufort County to address, as a collective, regional interests, business coordination between the counties, expense allocation towards building attractions, and creating a Ďcommon areaí for businesses

This proposal, though between counties, also establishes coordinated guidelines between local jurisdictions as well to better deal with growth in the area. Sprawl in Ayden and Farmville is, unfortunately, inevitable but as the lines between Greenville and Winterville continue to blur, it is possible to coordinate with each other to expand, for instance, the greenway system, setting development standards to encourage more TOD (transit oridented development), expanding more bus routes into Winterville, and etc. In my view, itís not about only growing Greenville, but going Greenville AND the surrounding areas in a smart, sustainable way. For one to suggest developing a neighborhood in Winterville has no affect on Greenville, is to be oblivious to the fact that the two are essentially one city ó we have to work with each other to better each other.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:32 PM

4,785 posts, read 3,138,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
Also, This: http://prntscr.com/gdsjnk might get demolished when the northeast bypass to US-13 gets built.
I doubt it. NCDOT will likely keep it open to serve local traffic. Another reason they'll probably keep it open is to keep the US-264 designation intact without having to shift US-264 onto the northeast bypass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina