Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2017, 08:34 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Government

•Create a regional government/authority between Pitt, Lenior, Wilson, and Beaufort County to address, as a collective, regional interests, business coordination between the counties, expense allocation towards building attractions, and creating a ‘common area’ for businesses
Good luck getting Wilson to go along with it. You're gonna need it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2017, 05:18 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,551,089 times
Wow! I go away for a weekend and all hell breaks loose!

-----

Pitt Street Brewing Company, the city's 3rd brewery, opened this past weekend.

Pitt Street Brewing Company now in business

Quote:
The wait is over for beer lovers in Greenville as a new brewery officially opened its doors today.

Pitt Street Brewing Company held their grand opening.

They are excited to bring craft brews to Greenville, especially the brewmaster, who came all the way from Washington state to be a part of this new business.

The brewery is located inside of an old Coca-Cola building. They brew their beer in-house.

“We knew it was perfect for a brewery,” said Lenny Jordan. “We know it near downtown, we wanted to help revitalize downtown, and that’s how we ended up here.”

They are “hoppy” to serve cold beer seven days a week.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:26 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,437,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Good luck getting Wilson to go along with it. You're gonna need it...
You’re the second person to say that. I used to live in Wilson a few years ago (actually, about a decade ago), is it now that reliant on Raleigh that it doesn’t need a partner in the region? Even if I were to get other partners on board, that’s fine. Wilson County doesn’t have to part of such a coalition, but I think they’d make a wonderful asset.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:46 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
I don't know that they're reliant on Raleigh so much that they have enough going for them that they don't need a regional partnership.

Regional partnerships historically don't work in this area because everyone vies for the same things and only benefit if they are the one to get it. The rural counties around us see Greenville the same way we see Raleigh.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:00 PM

111 posts, read 148,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Wow! I go away for a weekend and all hell breaks loose!

-----

Pitt Street Brewing Company, the city's 3rd brewery, opened this past weekend.

Pitt Street Brewing Company now in business
REALLY nice looking place. Changing the look of downtown one building at a time.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:21 PM

Quote:
You’re the second person to say that. I used to live in Wilson a few years ago (actually, about a decade ago), is it now that reliant on Raleigh that it doesn’t need a partner in the region? Even if I were to get other partners on board, that’s fine. Wilson County doesn’t have to part of such a coalition, but I think they’d make a wonderful asset.
Wilson (both city and county) isn't known for playing well with others. They tend to keep to themselves and are very independent-minded. The word "progress" is not in their vocabulary. They didn't even help Greenville pressure the state to have US-264 become Future I-587 despite the fact that it would give Wilson an interstate connection to Raleigh and cross-country (via I-40). Greenville did it on it's own.

GarnetAndBlack made excellent points as well.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I don't know that they're reliant on Raleigh so much that they have enough going for them that they don't need a regional partnership.

Regional partnerships historically don't work in this area because everyone vies for the same things and only benefit if they are the one to get it. The rural counties around us see Greenville the same way we see Raleigh.
Understandable, but in the case of Wilson a trade-off can be made. For instance, as a Union we can attempt to bring additional manufacturing sites to Wilson and in-exchange, Wilson gives up her Amtrack station to Greenville. The likelihood of such an agreement? Slim to none, but that’s just an example. I feel Wilson is in a great location for growth but rather lacking in the educated workforce needed to attract additional companies — Greenville could be a partner in that regard.

Old 08-28-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Wilson (both city and county) isn't known for playing well with others. They tend to keep to themselves and are very independent-minded. The word "progress" is not in their vocabulary. They didn't even help Greenville pressure the state to have US-264 become Future I-587 despite the fact that it would give Wilson an interstate connection to Raleigh and cross-country (via I-40). Greenville did it on it's own.

GarnetAndBlack made excellent points as well.
Any reason why the City and County Of Wilson opt to be, as you proclaim, “independent-minded?” Regardless of everyone’s response, I still will do my best, provided I am an elected official, to bring about a partnership between our cities and counties. Together, we are much more attractive than apart.

Pitt County:

•East Carolina University and Brody Medical School
•Vidant

Wilson County:

•I-95
•Barton College
•Close proximity to Raleigh

Lenoir County:

•The Global Transpark which boasts a facility for building Boeing fuselage

Beaufort County:

•Pimlico River

Of course each place boasts more than what is stated, but each of those are a major selling point for the government/alliance I hope to set-up. ECU, with her Marine Biology Program, should be working more with Beaufort County for, as stated a few posts back, Climate Change is the challenge of our lifetime and Greenville could be leading the charge globally.

Old 08-29-2017, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Understandable, but in the case of Wilson a trade-off can be made. For instance, as a Union we can attempt to bring additional manufacturing sites to Wilson and in-exchange, Wilson gives up her Amtrack station to Greenville. The likelihood of such an agreement? Slim to none, but that’s just an example.
I know you were only using Amtrak as an example, but it's fitting that you say the chances are slim to none.

End of the line for Wilson train? | The Wilson Times

Old 08-29-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Any reason why the City and County Of Wilson opt to be, as you proclaim, “independent-minded?”
Because they tend to be stuck in their ways, especially the city. There's a lot of old money that controls that place and any talk of change tends to get a cold reception. They're nowhere near as forward-thinking as Greenville. Wilson is Wilson's own worst enemy.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see you pull it off. I grew up in eastern NC and I'd love to see the region turn around. I just don't want you to get your hopes up too high regarding Wilson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina