U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2017, 07:55 AM

109 posts, read 104,165 times

Advertisements

New Bern is Greenville's best bet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 08:40 AM

3,287 posts, read 5,438,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I know you were only using Amtrak as an example, but it's fitting that you say the chances are slim to none.

End of the line for Wilson train? | The Wilson Times
How fitting is that? It’s unfortunate that this may happen due to funding cuts, but Greenville should see this as an opportunity in the coming years.

Quote:
Because they tend to be stuck in their ways, especially the city. There's a lot of old money that controls that place and any talk of change tends to get a cold reception. They're nowhere near as forward-thinking as Greenville. Wilson is Wilson's own worst enemy.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see you pull it off. I grew up in eastern NC and I'd love to see the region turn around. I just don't want you to get your hopes up too high regarding Wilson.
I do remember Wilson being composed of old money, but they were forward thinking in one particular case when I lived there: putting fiber optic lines throughout the city. If memory serves me well, the service isn’t doing too well but to think “Little ole Wilson created this service” to me indicates that they’re can be progress made in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPirate View Post
New Bern is Greenville's best bet
I’ve never understood this connection to New Bern, care to explain?

https://m.facebook.com/A-Better-Gree...0809345668700/

Last edited by BMORE; 08-29-2017 at 08:49 AM..

Old 08-29-2017, 09:40 AM

1,069 posts, read 986,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
I do remember Wilson being composed of old money, but they were forward thinking in one particular case when I lived there: putting fiber optic lines throughout the city. If memory serves me well, the service isnít doing too well but to think ďLittle ole Wilson created this serviceĒ to me indicates that theyíre can be progress made in the city.
Greenlight is doing great actually. They tried to expand outside Wilson but were blocked by the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Iíve never understood this connection to New Bern, care to explain?
There isn't. It's 45 minutes away down a terrible road and we have little in common.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I know you were only using Amtrak as an example, but it's fitting that you say the chances are slim to none.

End of the line for Wilson train? | The Wilson Times
This makes me sad.

I don't know what else to say that wouldn't be going off topic.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:55 AM

3,287 posts, read 5,438,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Greenlight is doing great actually. They tried to expand outside Wilson but were blocked by the state.

There isn't. It's 45 minutes away down a terrible road and we have little in common.
Wow! Well, Iím glad to hear itís doing awesome but again, itís an example that Wilson can move in the right direction in some situations.

Regarding New Bern, with what youíre saying, are you suggesting itís not appropriate to add Craven County to this alliance? Iíve never even thought of adding them.

Old 08-29-2017, 09:58 AM

I mean I genuinely don't think any alliance is going to work. I remember a few years ago Washington and Greenville leaders met and talked about something but I don't think anything ever became of it.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:32 AM

82 posts, read 98,413 times
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I've always thought that if PGV would brand themselves as the closest (semi)-major airport to the northern obx that air traffic may pick up a little bit. It's in a great spot in the city in this respect as it is north of town and has easy access to US 64/I87. Could Williamston be a place we would be interested in? They don't have much to offer other than their prime location.

I think Washington is and has been a town that Greenville should try to partner with. Greenville is already growing in that direction and with a little work, Washington could be a small gem of ENC. I'd love to see 33 be upgraded between Gville and Grimesland.

Old 08-29-2017, 10:47 AM

4,660 posts, read 3,055,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Indeed. I'll give Wilson credit for that. I never imagined that Wilson would be the first city to have the fastest internet in the state. It's a shame Time Warner stepped in and got their lapdog Thom Tillis to neuter the city. So much for the party of small government...

I'm surprised Greenville never attempted it. I know a couple of folks that live in Greenville and they HATE Suddenlink.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but, I've always thought that if PGV would brand themselves as the closest (semi)-major airport to the northern obx that air traffic may pick up a little bit. It's in a great spot in the city in this respect as it is north of town and has easy access to US 64/I87.
Norfolk (ORF) is closer.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Indeed. I'll give Wilson credit for that. I never imagined that Wilson would be the first city to have the fastest internet in the state. It's a shame Time Warner stepped in and got their lapdog Thom Tillis to neuter the city. So much for the party of small government...

I'm surprised Greenville never attempted it. I know a couple of folks that live in Greenville and they HATE Suddenlink.
Wilson is building out 10Gbps service now. I wish so bad we had something like that here, but the state has made it nearly impossible to create a new from scratch.

Salisbury has municipal fiber and there are small companies and cooperatives building out residential fiber around the state in areas they already serve. Snow Hill and Greene County has fiber to the home in some places.

I don't mind Suddenlink. They have their faults, but they're not a bad ISP. The TV product is terrible though. We will see if the data side stays good now that the cost-cutting Frenchman has taken over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina