U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2017, 11:35 PM

3,288 posts, read 5,442,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
I often drive down that part of 5th. I'm not stopping there but passing through to other places around that part of Greenville. It's slow but it's better than going up a block and coming back down.
Well, isn’t the point to increase walkability? Where I currently live, Silver Spring, MD, we have an interesting approach to our pedestrian mall — we close down the street during nights and the weekends, and it’s open weekdays. Bianca and I goals for Uptown directly align — increasing walkability. While as a driver it would be annoying to avoid 5th Street, as a pedestrian it could make for an interesting experience with trees, better connectivity to Five Points Plaza, a theater, nearby clubs, an easy yet safe walk to ECU, and so much more. Charlottesville has a beautiful pedestrian mall, as does Boulder, both are college towns who aren’t blessed to have their university as close to their CBD as we are, but have bustling pedestrian malls. To suggest we at least explore the idea via a consultant wouldn’t be a terrible idea in my book.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 03:29 AM

105 posts, read 145,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
What does everyone think of revamping 5th St (from Washington St to Reade St) to a pedestrian mall?
A few years back when there were more clubs in that vicinity, part of fifth st. was blocked off at night. It was a disaster because it brought in a lot of loiterers, hoodlums & teenagers too young to get in the clubs & lots of problems. Thank goodness, mayor Alan Thomas was instrumental in putting a stop to that and things have much better ever since. No, we should not recreate that fiasco. Also when 2 blocks of Evans St. were turned into a pedestrian mall, there were a lot of stores/shops there at that time. It only accelerated the demise of shopping downtown . Even Raleigh had second thoughts & re-opened Fayetteville St. to traffic.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cityadvocate View Post
A few years back when there were more clubs in that vicinity, part of fifth st. was blocked off at night. It was a disaster because it brought in a lot of loiterers, hoodlums & teenagers too young to get in the clubs & lots of problems. Thank goodness, mayor Alan Thomas was instrumental in putting a stop to that and things have much better ever since. No, we should not recreate that fiasco. Also when 2 blocks of Evans St. were turned into a pedestrian mall, there were a lot of stores/shops there at that time. It only accelerated the demise of shopping downtown . Even Raleigh had second thoughts & re-opened Fayetteville St. to traffic.
I guess North Carolina cities are too regressive and car obsessed to ever have pedestrian malls again. It’s embarrassing and a travesty for our cities to need cars to have a good time. Uptown Greenville, from what it seems everyone is suggesting, will never be an attractive place. The buildings are too close to the street for any type of beautification of 5th Street unless we follow the path of Evans St there and make it a one-way street so we can actually put up some trees. Regardless, I do find it absolutely heart-breaking that our city-Center may never be the bustling place I would hope it to be but rather a place only for college students and “hoodlums” that you say. It’s all quite embarrassing.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:50 AM

1,070 posts, read 987,605 times
You are welcome to stay in Maryland and run for office there if you find us too regressive and car-obsessed.

Condescension is not the path to a city council position.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
You are welcome to stay in Maryland and run for office there if you find us too regressive and car-obsessed.
I could do that, but considering Greenville is my home and I hope to make it better, I still intend on moving down there. Again, itís heartbreaking when youíre suggesting ideas on how to improve a downtown area and voices are suggesting why it canít work as opposed to listing the pros and cons. All I am seeing is one after another of examples from the past to why it canít work, but I am not those city leaders that let the former pedestrian mall fail, and ECU isnít the party school it was at that time instead, I am a hopeful city leader that will do whatever is vested in me to bring the area success.

Maybe the pedestrian mall is just a bad idea, but there are many notable examples across the country suggesting why itís not. I only care to, at they very least, explore such an idea or find additional ways to increase walkability. When I say regressive and car-obsessed, itís not like I am say anything too out of the box. If I were to propose, as I have in the past, a small increase in taxes to fund X, Y, or Z, regressive voices in the community would suggest taxation is theft. Exactly how am I supposed to do anything that my potential constituency wants if we canít pay for anything? Rarely, if ever, are great cities built without some sort of tax-payer funding it rather it be through TIFís or cityís taking on infrastructure projects that lure in additional businesses.

And car-obsessed is right, we donít have coherent infrastructre set-up in such a way to encourage anything else because no one seems to care to walk or bike but instead hop in their car. As a friend and I were discussing earlier today ó thatís just how the South is. Greenville isnít that populated or that large, to do these structural changes isnít too difficult.

The agenda Iíve set forth thus far has been appropriate for Greenville and understanding how the city may be regressive. I could go with the easy stuff such as proposing minimum wage increases and telling my potential constituents that I will bring a baseball field here, but that would render me ineffective and a liar. I understand business interests wouldnít allow a minimum wage increase to even $10 in the city, nor would people on this site agree with providing any incentives to build a baseball stadium, and thatís why Iíve moslty proposed livability changes. You all may be too quick to write ďhoodlumsĒ and teenagers off, but Iím not. I was a teenager there, I knew the ďhoodlums.Ē Frankly, there isnít **** to do for us and limited work opportunities.

If we are to think teenagers in Greenville just enjoy robbing people or sagging their pants ó youíre wrong and your thoughts are regressive towards understanding the root of the problem. All that being said, Greenville has potential and I am setting a vision for everyone to rally around. It will work even pass those regressive voices because everyone, at the end of the day, wants ďA Better Greenville.Ē

Old 09-02-2017, 09:24 AM

4,674 posts, read 3,065,858 times
City moving closer to start of culvert project - Daily Reflector

Old 09-03-2017, 12:40 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,045,023 times
'Perfect storm' extends timeline - Daily Reflector

ECU football stadium expansion was supposed to take nine months. Now it's been doubled to 18...

Old 09-03-2017, 12:44 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,045,023 times
Study reveals airport's potential, challenges - Daily Reflector

Old 09-03-2017, 07:47 AM

1,070 posts, read 987,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
'Perfect storm' extends timeline - Daily Reflector

ECU football stadium expansion was supposed to take nine months. Now it's been doubled to 18...
After last night I don't think seating capacity is going to be an issue anytime soon.

Old 09-03-2017, 05:47 PM

36 posts, read 27,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post

And car-obsessed is right, we don’t have coherent infrastructre set-up in such a way to encourage anything else because no one seems to care to walk or bike but instead hop in their car. As a friend and I were discussing earlier today — that’s just how the South is. Greenville isn’t that populated or that large, to do these structural changes isn’t too difficult.
I would say car-obsessed isn't limited to the South. I think this is a problem most cities face. As a native of the Midwest, I'm a big fan of good downtown design. Cities like Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, Kalamazoo, Chicago suburbs, etc. are all investing a lot of money to increase walkability. But as with Greenville, are plagued by the American car-crazy culture. I like the idea of more pedestrian malls or walkability in general, but I'm not sure that it'll work here.

Does anyone have experience with Hickory, NC? I've only briefly visited the brewery, but I recall that part of downtown being extremely pedestrian friendly. If it can work in Hickory, it could work here.

I recently visited Europe and was blown away by how good the non-driving infrastructure is set up. You can get anywhere without a car. I haven't experienced anything like it here in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina