U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2017, 01:06 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,367,962 times

Advertisements

These big buildings/complexes downtown are replacing such previously important properties (rolling eyes)...

A Wendy's
A Hardee's
A City Parking Lot
An underutilized bus/service station
A Cleaners
A furniture store

Hope the huge momentum continues. Was recently at UNCC and App State and their campuses/surroundings were much better than ECU's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 10:20 AM

3,288 posts, read 5,442,620 times
30 years later, Greenville not ready to elect another black mayor, leaders said - Daily Reflector

Thoughts?

Old 11-05-2017, 11:38 AM

Greenville, with her traffic problem and lack of limited-access highways should be leading the initiative nationally on self-driving cars, use of mass-transit, building mixed-use neighborhoods, and so on. Itís exhausting seeing you all debate about rather Greenville BLVD should be expanded to either six or eight lanes ó itís not happening. We instead need to be a forward thinking community. The Southern Connector is being built way past itís time, and will only encourage sprawl along its respective route. You all seem to want Greenville to play catch-up with other cities in the state and meet their standards when, in-fact, we can surpass those cities by using our disadvantages of the 1990ís/2000ís/today, and make them our advantages for the 2020ís/2030ís/beyond.

Think bigger people.

Edit That isnít to say Iím 100% against Highways, but the Southern Connector isnít all that needed. The way you all romanticize it, you want seem to want it to be our version of I-440/Capital Beltway ó we donít need that. If an interstate to, for instance, VA beach were to be built through Pitt County, I wouldnít mind but to suggest a Beltway or even this Southern Connector will make things better is completely insane.

Old 11-05-2017, 04:23 PM

1,070 posts, read 988,189 times
Dumb pointless article trying to dig up something that isnít there.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:40 PM

1,070 posts, read 988,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
are any schools out in the middle of nowhere Pitt County?
Yes, some of them such that itís rather amusing. I assume they do it because of cheap property.

Look up Northwest Elementary on Holland Road and have a look around.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:01 PM

109 posts, read 104,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
These big buildings/complexes downtown are replacing such previously important properties (rolling eyes)...

A Wendy's
A Hardee's
A City Parking Lot
An underutilized bus/service station
A Cleaners
A furniture store

Hope the huge momentum continues. Was recently at UNCC and App State and their campuses/surroundings were much better than ECU's.
App's campus isn't even half the size of ECU's

Old 11-05-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Which school do you go to? Is it overcrowded? Your plan is very unfeasible without public support... also to BMORE... this aint Baltimore where im assumim your from based off your name... inner city school.. lol greenville is like a few miles wide, what do you mean, are any schools out in the middle of nowhere Pitt County? Also to assume we dont care is quite ignorant on your part.
Yes, I am from Baltimore but have recently moved back to Greenville. If you haven’t noticed, I did start this thread, which should be an indicator that I’ve lived here before. I attended high school here. Yes, Rose is considered an inner-city school relative to the other other high schools in Pitt County. Many, many of the facilities are out in the middle of no where, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they all need to moved closer to population centers. That said, I said many don’t care to see the school updated, not that they don’t care. I’ve seen time and time again on his thread people talking about fiscal constraints, but there are a great many fiscal instruments available to pay for a building plan, or even a replacement of Rose. I don’t care to hear those “concerned” advocates rant on about how replacing Rose doesn’t make financial sense, all while supporting this current Republican tax-plan, advocating for privatizing public education, or any other non-sensical fiscal belief. We can do it, and we should do it.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:27 AM

The aesthetics of Pitt County schools does live a lot to be desired. Conley has a terrible smell, Hope is in the middle of nowhere (and its district isn't even where the school is), Rose looks like an Elementary school. An I had one person ask me if Eppes was "actually" still being used as a school.

Couple that with ridiculous uniform policies that drastically differs from Raleigh, Charlotte or Wilmington and there is no way anyone is moving to Greenville from Raleigh and feeling good about putting their kids in the schools.

And it continues, the biggest construction project right now is at Chicod, a school a few miles from the county line. Pitt County is way behind many other counties in terms of its school facilities. And the road infrastructure to get to many of these schools is God awful. I guess the standard for school facilities is to be better than Martin County, but that is even questionable.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBPirate View Post
App's campus isn't even half the size of ECU's
True, but the surrounding town (aesthetically) is much nicer than what ECU's surroundings are. Greenville is getting better, but kids look at that stuff when selecting a school.

Old 11-06-2017, 03:49 AM

2,078 posts, read 5,048,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Hope is in the middle of nowhere (and its district isn't even where the school is),

And it continues, the biggest construction project right now is at Chicod, a school a few miles from the county line.
These two seemingly separate schools were supposed to have a lot in common. Hope actually sits just about in the middle of the district that it was supposed to have. 10 years ago Hope was built with the intention of being the middle school for the Chicod district. The county was prepared to tear down the Chicod school and build a new, strictly elementary, school at that site. The "old school" parents at Chicod had huge objections to the plan when it was time to start tearing down Chicod. Them, their daddy, their daddy's daddy and his daddy all went to that school as a K through 8 school. They didn't want to separate the middle schoolers from the little youngins. Somehow they prevailed and now Pitt County has an almost brand new, under utilized, middle school sitting in the middle of nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina