U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2017, 08:29 AM

109 posts, read 103,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
True, but the surrounding town (aesthetically) is much nicer than what ECU's surroundings are. Greenville is getting better, but kids look at that stuff when selecting a school.
But again, Boone is a ski/resort town on-top of being a college town. So it's not really an apples to apples comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 08:42 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,358,037 times
Yep Richard. Inadequate planning, inadequate execution.

You forgot to mention that Hope was supposed to serve Whitfield middle schoolers as well.

What baffles me is that the decision to keep the K-8 schools has seemingly affected the in town district since Hope's district is overcrowded and they are only building at Chicod.

School boards fail to realize that their location decisions are PERMANENT. The Hope location decision (two lane road with only two entrance points) was one of the worst decisions you will EVER see. A location in Blackjack would have been much better even if they went through with the plan to convert the two schools from K-8.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:36 AM

1,070 posts, read 983,869 times
Sunbelt Rentals is building a new place on Staton Road next to FedEx Ground. I guess they're moving out there from Firetower Road.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:18 PM

153 posts, read 186,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrake View Post
I do not subscribe to the notion that Greenville will only ever be a college town. If it is so be it, that isn't a bad thing. ECU is a huge piece of Greenville always will be but the viability of the city would be buoyed from non-ECU things. The irony in that is that ECU can be a catalyst for creating those non-ECU draws (see culinary discussion below)

I also disagree with the mere premise that Greenville will never be Asheville from earlier. Of course it wont they are entirely different cities/regions/cultures making the comparison is erroneous from the beginning. Greenville can absolutely be a vibrant, bustling small city with an identity and brand of its own.

Some of the answer will be organic and happen naturally some other things I believe that Greenville can develop to collectively be its "thing" are

Food - we already embrace BBQ, but be the culinary capital of the east and celebrator of food from the state and region. ECU should partner with should partner in culinary programs through the region (possible the state); Carterete, CofA, and Cape Fear. Design a program that combines culinary and hospitality management and make Greenville to epicenter of food culture in the east.

The River - we're already on to this one but there is serious room and need for growth. Featuring the river for SUP, kayak, fishing, and other non-motor/small-motor adventures. Being ourdoorsy isn't limited to mountains, just embrace what we have and celebrate it. I believe developing a section of the river front is essential. Either East or West of Uptown, whichever is most viable. Also developing neighborhood access along the river. there are plenty of neighborhoods but is there an ability to or culture of accessing and utilizing the river. Something like this

Put the GREEN in Greenville - I would love to see Greenville become a small city model for new/clean energy, conservation, transit, and environmentally friendly practice.
Great explanation FrancisDrake. I agree completely. There are things Greenville can do to help create an identity that revolved solely around ECU. I love ECU and what the do for Greenville, but agree with things like it becoming the culinary center of the East as well as expanding the role of the river and outdoor opportunities. As I've said before - when I have friends or relatives come from out of town and ask what there is to do in Greenville...to SEE in Greenville, I really struggle with what do do with them. We usually go to New Bern, or heck - even Tarboro has a great historic district, with the second oldest Town Commons in the country. We just need to be more diverse in our draw beyond the scope of ECU.

Old 11-06-2017, 09:35 PM

153 posts, read 186,676 times
I disagree with just about everything said in this article. For me - I look for a leader who is articulate, can express an understanding and vision for moving the city forward - specifically on key issues and someone who is relatable.

I have to say, when I have listened to some council members and others in leadership (not specifically referencing blacks) over the years, I'm embarrassed at the lack of simple literacy and the ability to intelligently discuss issues.

But then we seem to pump out more people from high school and college who can't string together a coherent sentence.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:06 AM

4,628 posts, read 3,035,683 times
NCDOT holding meeting on 14th Street widening proposal - Daily Reflector

Old 11-07-2017, 11:30 AM

29 posts, read 30,359 times
A small-scale Target is opening in front of NCSU in Raleigh and one has already opened across from UNC in Chapel Hill. I wonder if ECU will be next?

Target near NC State campus opens Tuesday :: WRAL.com

Old 11-07-2017, 12:09 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by encecu View Post
A small-scale Target is opening in front of NCSU in Raleigh and one has already opened across from UNC in Chapel Hill. I wonder if ECU will be next?

This would be a good thing close to campus. I wouldn't mind seeing this on the corner of 14th and Charles across the street from Harris Teeter (old gas station/former bus stop). I think there was zoning request a few months ago for that side of 14th street. It would be perfect IMO. That corner is very close to campus and many student apartment complexes.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:20 PM

223 posts, read 204,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by encecu View Post

I don't see it. ECU to Target is like less than 10 mins away via 10th St. and Evans

Old 11-07-2017, 12:59 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,003,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
I don't see it. ECU to Target is like less than 10 mins away via 10th St. and Evans
Well target appears to be targeting college campuses as their next niche market.

https://corporate.target.com/article...-campus-stores

Quote:
“While all Target store teams strive to learn what local guests need and adapt accordingly, it’s particularly important for small-format stores near college campuses to get to know the unique needs of our student guests,” said Scott Timpani, store team leader at our University Center, University of California Irvine location. “For example, during the school year, about 10,000 students each day cross a pedestrian bridge that starts on campus and ends a few steps from our back entrance. Knowing these guests are often heading to class or simply in a hurry, we have four self-checkout kiosks next to the doors so they can quickly complete purchases and be on their way. And for guests who have more time to spend, we’ve created a cozy seating area near Starbucks complete with outlets for charging their devices.”
https://corporate.target.com/article...munity-meeting

Quote:
Opening small format stores
Speaking of stores, we’re opening 30 small format stores in 2017, doubling our presence in dense urban markets and on college campuses. These stores serve as neighborhood hubs for guests to pick up online orders, bringing added convenience to their “Target runs.” They also help us reach guests in areas we couldn’t before, and connect with college students at a time when they’re developing brand preferences. By 2019, we’ll operate more than 130 small format stores.
Certainly makes sense at a site in Greenville with thousands of students within a 5-10 minute walk from campus. Put it somewhere near the Charles Blvd corridor near campus. It would beat waiting at a bus stop and spending time getting to Target on Evans just to pick up deodorant and some snacks.

I"m certain one could be developed as mixed-use like the one in Chapel Hill that recently opened.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina