Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2017, 09:14 PM

217 posts, read 236,110 times

Advertisements

slay - wilmington is growing much, much faster than greenville. fastest growing in north carolina per the american community survey.

the target building is super nice - I remember when that property was still college student housing. chapel hill is booming, but I'm already a bit tired of the fast casual architecture that's taken over the triangle.

thoughts on the city elections?

http://www.reflector.com/News/2017/1...ost-XX-XX.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 11:25 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Connelly is Greenville's new mayor - Daily Reflector

Old 11-07-2017, 11:42 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
Ugh

Old 11-08-2017, 06:14 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,552,633 times
New businesses underway to ship, snip and sip - Daily Reflector

Quote:
New businesses continue to crop up in greater Greenville while others leave or downsize, keeping the city’s retail and commercial traffic in flux.

Officials with Fedex Freight provided an update Monday on their new distribution warehouse project that began in August on Old Creek Road north of the Tar River, adjacent to Domtar. It will replace the current facility on nearby Staton Road
The 30,000-square-foot facility is slated for completion in February or March, according to Tom Spark, project supervisor for Michigan-based building contractor Moltus Building Group. Local contractor E.R. Lewis is providing the groundwork, expected to be completed this week, and Utah-based Kapp Construction will lay the foundation soon after, Sparck said.
“The new facility will be larger and allow us to better serve our customers in the Greenville area now and in the future,” Fedex communications adviser Ron Mears said. “The site was chosen because of its ease of access to major highways, proximity to customers and a strong local community workforce. The addition of this facility will strengthen our network and it supports our position as the (small freight) industry leader.”

The company declined to estimate the number of new jobs that might be created at the facility.
Near the Fedex facility, another company, Sunbelt Rentals, is planning a relocation. The move is pending completion of a new building on Staton Road before transferring the franchise’s operations from its current location on West Fire Tower Road in Winterville. TD Goodwin of Greenville is the general contractor.

Also moving its location and joining the growing list of businesses calling downtown Greenville home is commercial realtor, The Overton Group. Now located at 401 West First St., The Overton Group handles the leasing and sale of commercial properties and property management, maintenance and renovation services.

Overton said he loves being part of Uptown Greenville and believes in the importance of a strong, vibrant urban core.
“Although we had worked down here quite a bit in the past, it has been a lot of fun to be here full time and be involved in so many exciting projects,” he said.

Also new to the downtown Greenville scene is The Shave, a men’s fine grooming shop at 212 W. Fifth Street, owned by Michael and Emily Maieda. The couple moved from Atlanta, where Michael worked at an upscale shop. Emily is a Greenville native.

The Shave, which Michael Maieda describes as “ a traditional barber shop,” has four chairs and two barbers.
“We didn’t expect the great reception we’ve had, and if our reservations continue to mount like they have been since we opened, we’ll have to hire a couple more barbers soon,” Emily said. “This is a great location for us to serve the ECU community and all of the professionals that have their offices in the growing downtown district.”

The Maiedas have gotten to know their neighbors and new owners of downtown Greenville’s newest cafe, Blackbeard Coffee Roasters, which opened on Sept. 23 across the street at 203 E. Fifth. Matt Sterling, Mike Fox and Brooks Lindblad are co-owners.

Sterling and Fox worked at ECU, where Fox was an accountant and Sterling was the assistant men’s golf team coach. Fox and Lindblad started roasting coffee a couple years ago as a hobby.

“I’ve always wanted to be an entrepreneur,” Fox said. “It started as a hobby, became an obsession and turned into a business. There’s always been a gap in Greenville for a local coffee roaster.”

Another retail project, still under reconstruction, is the conversion of the former Lowe’s supermarket in the Lynncroft shopping center into what soon will be partitioned into a Michael’s art and hobby supply store in one half of the building and a Marshall’s clothing and accessories retail store in the other half, according to project manager Mack Beaman of contractor Custom Building Company.

The project, which began Sept. 1, is slated for completion in late February to early March, Beaman said.
While retail and commercial business continues new growth in Greenville, Bank of America has shrunk its presence in the city. The Charlotte-based bank closed its branch at 1908 S.E. Greenville Blvd. in August, leaving only the branch at 317 S.E. Greenville Blvd. and another at 2000 Stantonsburg Road.

“The closing is a reflection of customer preference,” corporate spokeswoman Jennifer Darwin said. “We’ve been monitoring customer usage and they have been doing their business at the two remaining locations.”
Darwin said the company’s view is that the remaining two Bank of America locations are sufficient for the number of people it serves.

“We are aware of the growth that’s going on in Greenville,” Darwin said. “We will continue to monitor the situation and decide if it’s appropriate for us to open another location in the future.”

Old 11-08-2017, 06:14 AM

34 posts, read 44,410 times
Thoughts on our new mayor = Predictable outcome, wish it had been different

I think that the developers of these new apartment complexes in our city center should be targeting (no pun intended) and incorporating more ambitious retail in their projects. Small-scale Targets and even something like an Urban Outfitters, etc. should be on their list. A campus-style Barnes & Noble would be a great idea as well. I know that people think these ideas are "pie in the sky" for Greenville but these retailers have opened in smaller communities than ours. With all of the new residents in the city center, more retail services are going to be in demand. Greenville's city center will need to be walkable for all resident needs.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:00 AM

893 posts, read 1,343,160 times
guess I'm the only one here pleased with the election outcomes last night.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 AM

275 posts, read 330,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
Yeah I didn't think PJ was bad. Mercer was not only in a middle of a deposition, but looking at his background I didn't think he would be a great fit for a mayor in this city. Maybe if he was a mayor of a place like Goldsboro fine, but Greenville is a little to progressive for him.

Old 11-08-2017, 07:57 AM

455 posts, read 528,089 times
Quote:
Nope, not the only one. The city spoke rather resoundingly with yesterday's elections. People like what is happening in Greenville and want it to continue. Here's hoping for much more forum fodder in the years to come with our newly elected leaders!

Old 11-08-2017, 08:08 AM

192 posts, read 281,103 times
Quote:
I'm with you jpirate.

Old 11-08-2017, 08:38 AM

112 posts, read 136,319 times
I wish Hinnant Jr could have beat Smiley but otherwise I couldn’t be any happier with the results.

Update on GFR mess:

Current Firefighter: GFR paramedic numbers dwindling | News | theeastcarolinian.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina