U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 AM

1,069 posts, read 985,225 times

Advertisements

The Boundary is not part of ECU. It has nothing to do with ECU, it's a private development.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 12:00 PM

3 posts, read 2,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
Question: Is Gather Uptown, Dickinson Lofts, and The Proximity at 10th part of ECU(I know The Boundary is)? Because they need to chill with the ECU part for now. I see that they are trying to expand the university from Contache to Evans, Which is great but they need to focus more on Uptown and adding restaurants and doing other stuff.
All of those are private entities.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:55 PM

82 posts, read 98,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollabackmjjd View Post
There is some work going on behind Sears in that field. Wonder what they're working on.
I know at one point they were talking about connecting Frontgate Drive to Sterling Pointe behind Sears. Could that be what it is? Haven't been over there in a while so I haven't seen where the work is going on.

Old 11-27-2017, 04:38 PM

137 posts, read 140,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
An OPIS search shows that the investment company has not yet taken possession of the adjacent parcel from ECU. Looks like ECU wants to locate a new Alumni Center inside the hotel.
See p.7. I'd imagine the investors aren't interested in doing that, and that's the holdup in moving forward. Doubt the sole parcel at 209 is large enough to start construction on its own.

The registered agent for the company (as of April 2016, so perhaps there's been some change here), John van Coutren, is listed as a principal in Prime Developments and Investments, which built the Hilton by the convention center and the convention center itself. I can't think they'd put two Hiltons in the same town. Perhaps a different "boutique hotel" brand?

Update: The property ECU sold was at 210 East Fourth Street, which adjoins the property at the corner of Fourth and Reade. This was an agenda item in the archived meeting materials for the BOT's February 18, 2016 meeting.

Apologies if any of this is repetitive, since I'm new here still figuring out what's old hat and what's not.
There was an announcement in November 2015 about the hotel/alumni center in the Daily Reflector. That article is referenced on page 620 of this thread. ECU made the lot between the corner lots at Fourth and Reade and Fourth and Cotanche available as part of this project, I believe they sold that property. That was earlier this year or late last year. It can be found in the ECU BOT meeting materials for the Finance and Facilities committee for anyone who'd like to look for it.

It is curious that the property in question has not yet been transferred to the developer. This is just a guess, but maybe the plans are on hold so that the opening of the hotel/alumni center coincides with the opening of the student services building that was announced for the block just to the north between Fourth and Third streets. Maybe the student services building will help generate more room rentals?

Update: Disposition of the property at 209 East Fourth Street was an agenda item for the February 18, 2016 BOT meeting.

Last edited by GoingLocal; 11-27-2017 at 05:23 PM..

Old 11-27-2017, 06:21 PM

378 posts, read 253,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitrinite View Post
I know at one point they were talking about connecting Frontgate Drive to Sterling Pointe behind Sears. Could that be what it is? Haven't been over there in a while so I haven't seen where the work is going on.
All of Thomas Langston Road will also be widened to 4-lane divided. so there may be a signal at that intersection.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:41 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,041,419 times
Greenville Transportation Activity Center to be named for Congressman Butterfield

Old 11-28-2017, 07:47 AM

3,323 posts, read 5,186,224 times
Student Center Update
-- Construction should be completed in Sept. 2018
-- Branding and Internal work to be completed in Oct 2018
-- November 1, 2018 = EXPECTED OPENING DAY

Old 11-28-2017, 07:56 AM

378 posts, read 253,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Student Center Update
-- Construction should be completed in Sept. 2018
-- Branding and Internal work to be completed in Oct 2018
-- November 1, 2018 = EXPECTED OPENING DAY

Man thatś a long time.

Old 11-28-2017, 08:16 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,004,031 times
It'll be here before you know it.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:40 AM

2,401 posts, read 3,360,902 times
Regarding the Uptown Greenville Hilton...

Keep in mind a few other facets that are likely affecting the progress of the Hilton/Alumni project:

1) ECU is planning on utilizing the old Attic building for office relocation from the small building on the Hilton site...that will then be demolished. The renovation of that building on 5th St seems to be standing still.

2) I have opined in the past that ECU is not wanting to move forward with construction on Reade St until the parking deck at the Student Center is complete...as we can see above, it will be fall 2018. As we see with the Dickinson project, there needs to be extra space for materials to keep costs as low as possible. ECU is likely wanting to use its own land and the nearby parking lots can be utilized.

3) As we see with convention center hotels (public/private partnerships), there are a ton of agreements that have to be in place...and lawyers love to have long term projects to bill to. I'm betting Hilton attorneys and ECU attorneys are having fun going back and forth with the agreements.

4) Finally, I think it could be a good delay, because if ECU can load up on a few projects in a row on the Reade St corridor, it could complete the build out in a timely fashion rather than take decades. There are plans for a Performing Arts Center that the hotel would like to take advantage of, as well as the Alumni presence as well as other buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina