U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 03:13 PM

3,321 posts, read 5,182,656 times

Advertisements

In the same breath as the previous post, has anyone seen wanting to turn that "curve" on 5th St in west Greenville into a traffic circle? Where 5th, Elizabeth and Albemarle all intersect. It would take that natural area and make that the center of it.

It definitely needs something to help the traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 03:48 PM

So the Little League field at Elm Street Park is getting an upgrade. It includes installation of stadium seating behind home plate, increased spectator capacity, improved backstop with netting, a new press box, storage area, and office space.

Oh, and this is funded by a private donation, so no cost from the city. The current anonymous donation will eventually have the facility named after them. Work should start in August 2011 and complete around March 2012.

Always good to keep our fields in top order to bring tournaments here.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:52 PM

A proposed "barber college" hopefully will be coming on Dickinson Ave, right near 14th St. That big redish house on the river side is the proposed place.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:53 PM

22 posts, read 40,125 times
With Lowes Foods struggling maybe Fresh Market will move in there.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:54 PM

22 posts, read 40,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
I am not sure how we are with schools,

I don't want to offend anyone on here, but our schools are quite terrible! Really, I feel that they are in a sad state. We spend more money per capita than other counties yet our school continue to fail and we redistrict every few years to try to "solve" everything. I remember a few years ago our schools where also the most violent in the state. I'm not blaming anyone in particular (I have many public school teacher friends and I know they work hard). Would love to have a magnet school here as at least another option.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:02 PM

228 posts, read 521,297 times
Quote:
I believe Greene and White Dorms on campus will receive an exterior facelift. It should be done by next year.
Greene, White, and Clement are getting sprinklers. Tyler Hall will close at some point next year to have the interior upgraded and the exterior upgraded to look like the other buildings on campus.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:57 PM

39 posts, read 59,752 times
Quote:
Has anyone heard of a proposed Magnet school in west Greenville? It would be 5th St on the north, I believe the railroad line to the west, parallel with 9th St for the south, follow Dickerson to Pitt for the east border.

I am not sure how we are with schools, but this would be a great thing to have. But you're pretty much saying no to heavy commercial development on Dickerson. But this investment could help other development.
It's Dickinson, not Dickerson. Perhaps our councilpersons would take us and this site more seriously if we actually knew the names of the main streets in town. And I'm not picking only on you as I've seen this mistake made by several in this forum.

Old 06-05-2011, 11:59 AM

8 posts, read 14,763 times
speaking of schools! does anyone has information about chicod? we're new to the city and not sure how the schools are.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:42 PM

46 posts, read 179,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyInNC View Post
It's Dickinson, not Dickerson. Perhaps our councilpersons would take us and this site more seriously if we actually knew the names of the main streets in town. And I'm not picking only on you as I've seen this mistake made by several in this forum.
Incorrect spelling of Dickinson on this forum is a minor detail IMHO. I have seen it spelled Dickerson on printed official city and county maps before. It has also been misspelled in articles by that bastion of journalism known as The Daily Reflector.

I regularly hear natives who pronounce the word Dickerson.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:28 PM

451 posts, read 1,687,895 times
From what I have heard, Chicod School has a very good reputation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina