U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2017, 05:26 AM

163 posts, read 116,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
Nice! They can get rid of the houses that surround Farmville Blvd.
Just remember that as you're saying this, you're talking about a) condemnation of homes in a neighborhood that is predominantly African American and b) displacement of a neighborhood with a community that has developed over decades. I've been in the offices of public officials as they try anything to avoid using eminent domain because of how bad it looks politically--not to mention when it looks like you're targeting poor black folks to usher in businesses they likely won't use.

The entire stretch along Farmville Blvd is zoned for commercial, so the homes are non-conforming uses and likely will convert to business over time. Let's find more pedestrian-friendly development in places where we don't have to tear someone else's property down in the name of progress. Lord knows Greenville's got plenty of infill needed.

Here's an idea for you to try on: instead of along Farmville Blvd, how about the many vacant lots along Memorial-Dickinson-Hooker Triangle being converted to high-density, mixed-use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2017, 05:59 AM

Drove down Dickinson Avenue yesterday morning and saw Overton Group signs in the windows of the 800 block, as well as the old Carolina Diner. Checked out the site and there's proposed elevation renderings up from BW architecture, keeping the design themes from the 700 block. Glad Greenville is keeping a consistent aesthetic language along the district.

907 Dickinson Ave.
814 Dickinson Ave.

Old 12-07-2017, 06:23 AM

378 posts, read 253,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikepedguy View Post
Just remember that as you're saying this, you're talking about a) condemnation of homes in a neighborhood that is predominantly African American and b) displacement of a neighborhood with a community that has developed over decades. I've been in the offices of public officials as they try anything to avoid using eminent domain because of how bad it looks politically--not to mention when it looks like you're targeting poor black folks to usher in businesses they likely won't use.

The entire stretch along Farmville Blvd is zoned for commercial, so the homes are non-conforming uses and likely will convert to business over time. Let's find more pedestrian-friendly development in places where we don't have to tear someone else's property down in the name of progress. Lord knows Greenville's got plenty of infill needed.

Here's an idea for you to try on: instead of along Farmville Blvd, how about the many vacant lots along Memorial-Dickinson-Hooker Triangle being converted to high-density, mixed-use?
It could work great for Evans to 14th as well.

As for Dickinson ave, it should be widened to four lane divided with a median (similar what they are doing to Farmville Blvd right now but make the speed limit 30 or 35) to 14th st. Because there's lots of traffic there. You can throw in that development there.

Dickinson memorial hooker triangle, they show it in the 2026 plan.

Last edited by Slay The Great; 12-07-2017 at 06:32 AM..

Old 12-08-2017, 05:55 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,004,818 times
Quote:
Drove down Dickinson Avenue yesterday morning and saw Overton Group signs in the windows of the 800 block, as well as the old Carolina Diner. Checked out the site and there's proposed elevation renderings up from BW architecture, keeping the design themes from the 700 block. Glad Greenville is keeping a consistent aesthetic language along the district.

907 Dickinson Ave.
814 Dickinson Ave.
Glad to see these commercial offerings. Although I've never really liked that side of the 800 block. I would rather see it sold & that entire section become a mixed use project. But I don't mind a rehab. It'll make a fine set of shops & restaurants.

I have liked that corner diner spot. I remember when they rehabbed that space years ago and it has sat vacant for all this time. I don't think it will be long before we hear something going in that space.

------------

Spirit Aerosystems at the Global Transpark is expanding.

Spirit AeroSystems announces $55.7 million expansion at N.C. Global TransPark - Daily Reflector

I don't know how much Allen Thomas had to do with it, but I know this is a good thing that should bring some extra jobs into the GTP. If AT did have something to do with it, Roy Cooper is already getting a return on his investment in Allen Thomas.

------------

Early opening for long-awaited grocery in Grifton - Daily Reflector

Quote:
GRIFTON — The Tropicana Supermarket opened ahead of schedule in Grifton last week, but it was long overdue for residents who had been without a grocery store since Hurricane Matthew.
The Hispanic-themed chain opened on Thursday, well ahead of the Grand Opening set for Dec. 17, due in part to demand from townspeople.

“We opened up before the grand opening because we would have 10 people every day asking, ‘When are you going to open?’ So, we opened up early,” manager Maria Sanchez said.
The store is structurally complete, but the staff is still working on small details. While most of the stores shelves are totally stocked, a few were still missing items earlier this week.

The store did not have the ability to process EBT transactions, but the necessary equipment should arrive soon, according to Sanchez. The store also will act as a location for Grifton residents to send and receive money and pay their bills.
The store features fresh produce and dairy products, along with a meat department.
The meat department is still under construction. Once complete, customers will be able to speak to a representative and purchase fresh cut meat. In the meantime, customers may still purchase prepackaged beef, chicken and pork.

Everything is expected to be ready for the grand opening on Dec. 17, which is set to be an all-day celebration.

Grifton has been without a grocery store since October 2016, when Hurricane Matthew’s floodwaters devastated the former Piggly Wiggly.

In December 2016, Piggly Wiggly Central Business Office, which owned the store and building, chose not to reopen the business, leaving Grifton residents with few grocery options.
The Dollar General, located next door, offered an expanded line of groceries, but residents had to shop out of town for fresh produce and meat.

“It’s really exciting,” customer Eunice Merphy said at the store this week.
Tropicana is a Hispanic-based supermarket, but it offers much more than Hispanic food items, according Sanchez.

“We will have Asian, Hispanic, African and Jamaican products, along with American. We’re really excited to be open,” Sanchez said.

Tropicana hired two employees from the former Piggly Wiggly, Chris Edwards and Tanya Lewis.
“This store is much more laid back. We really are like a family,” Edwards said.
Grifton resident Ronnie Starraw is excited to be able to stay in town to buy her produce.
“It is wonderful to have the store back. I really hope the citizens of Grifton appreciate it,” Starraw said.
Grifton Manager Joe Johnson also is pleased to have Tropicana open to the public.
“The store looks good. There’s a lot of selection. I’ve been there twice already. It’s nice,” Johnson said Monday.

Before the grocery store opened, Starraw drove to Ayden for her produce.
“I would go to Ayden for my groceries. It made you spend more money, driving all the way there,” Starraw said.

Grifton’s Tropicana Supermarket is owned by Emmanuel Bautista, Jose Gutierrez and Maximamo Gutierrez.
Tropicana Supermarket, 6927 S. Highland Blvd., Grifton, is open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week. Hours are subject to change. For more information, call 252-253-1507 or 252-253-1508.

Old 12-08-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post
Glad to see these commercial offerings. Although I've never really liked that side of the 800 block. I would rather see it sold & that entire section become a mixed use project. But I don't mind a rehab. It'll make a fine set of shops & restaurants.

I have liked that corner diner spot. I remember when they rehabbed that space years ago and it has sat vacant for all this time. I don't think it will be long before we hear something going in that space.
I also wish the buildings were a little bit taller like 4-8 storey kinda similar to North Hills. Greenville's population is high enough to support 8-12 storey buildings.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michealbond View Post

While I'm not a huge fan of the 800 block either, I think we're yet to see some of its true nature given the ridiculous vinyl siding over the entrances.

I'm leery of mixed-use projects just because of how much fast-casual b******t is out there these days. I'd rather see Greenville allow development rights over the top of the existing structure and keep the older facades than another wood-frame, concrete-brick facade apartment project that looks like we're trying too hard to be the next Durham. I think it'd keep some nice personality in a downtown that is developing rapidly.

The Carolina Diner property is my favorite parcel in the entire Dickinson Ave. district, and if it's done right it'll activate the entire 9th street section all the way to Jefferson's. That has to go to the right ownership group.

Old 12-09-2017, 06:34 PM

Our airport will become more busy and crowded once we get more flights and parking added. All it does it just goes to Charlotte. That's it! That's the only thing I see that why people would want to drive to Raleigh to catch their flight.

Old 12-09-2017, 07:12 PM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,448 times
Home building company to bring several jobs to Pitt County

Old 12-10-2017, 08:25 AM

36 posts, read 27,682 times
Quote:

907 Dickinson Ave.
814 Dickinson Ave.
What building is the old Carolina Diner?

Old 12-10-2017, 11:38 AM

1,674 posts, read 2,042,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshSchaef View Post
What building is the old Carolina Diner?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina