U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-21-2017, 07:46 AM
 
Location: Greenville, NC
839 posts, read 1,041,089 times
Reputation: 176

Advertisements

^ Agree with HP91. The outlier complexes are going to have to redevelop themselves over the next 10 years. They really should have never been developed in the first place, but you can't go back and change decisions made yesteryear.

I guess it's not such a bad thing that other student housing complex that wanted to build off of Charles was denied. Maybe this study will encourage that company will come back with similar plans without the student housing and just stick with market rate housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-21-2017, 08:56 AM
 
1,022 posts, read 1,006,674 times
Reputation: 367
Interesting stuff. Hard for me to believe that PCC's enrollment is only expected to rise by 700 over the next decade. With the cost of 4 year institutions rising at an exponential rate, I would think that the community college system would grow as an alternative at a faster rate.

I am for letting these developers figure out where they want to build and how they want to market these apartments. At the same time, I don't want another 20 student complexes popping up downtown. Right now, there are only a few businesses that would generate a high enough demand for market rate apartments downtown. I hope that the market rate apartments on Dickinson/Reade will fill up and show developers that there is a market for it.


Honestly, when we're talking about outlying student housing, aren't we really talking about one complex in particular? I"m sure the old Captain's Quarters complex out on 264 having a very low filled rate really messed up the entire study. I see that as more of a mismanagement by the original owners years ago. It's changed owners several times in the last decade. From reviews I've seen about the complex today, things have gotten much better and it may lead more students to fill in the apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2017, 01:07 PM
 
3,323 posts, read 5,193,368 times
Reputation: 2359
Camera for the Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium Southside Project

https://app.oxblue.com/open/TALFLB/DFS-SSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2017, 01:37 PM
 
2,401 posts, read 3,367,962 times
Reputation: 1406
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpirate View Post
^ Agree with HP91. The outlier complexes are going to have to redevelop themselves over the next 10 years. They really should have never been developed in the first place, but you can't go back and change decisions made yesteryear.

I guess it's not such a bad thing that other student housing complex that wanted to build off of Charles was denied. Maybe this study will encourage that company will come back with similar plans without the student housing and just stick with market rate housing.
Pretty sure the project on Charles was later approved. At least its part of a much larger development with market rate housing.

The questionable complex really was the Bellamy on the South side of Firetower and you can question some of the complexes built off of E 10th St. Those really were cheaper land developments that are out of place with their surroundings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-21-2017, 06:33 PM
 
378 posts, read 253,712 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
Camera for the Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium Southside Project

https://app.oxblue.com/open/TALFLB/DFS-SSR
Very nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2017, 02:25 PM
 
112 posts, read 103,157 times
Reputation: 41
There’s a large banner hanging on the old Panera location that states “Newk’s” is coming soon.

https://www.newks.com

They appear to be a large franschise.

It also appears that Work will begin soon on the lot that used to be cliffs seafood (across from Lowe’s on 10th street).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-22-2017, 03:20 PM
 
378 posts, read 253,712 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty Drummer View Post
There’s a large banner hanging on the old Panera location that states “Newk’s” is coming soon.

https://www.newks.com

They appear to be a large franschise.

It also appears that Work will begin soon on the lot that used to be cliffs seafood (across from Lowe’s on 10th street).
It's very nice that Greenville is getting all these new restaurants. I want to see more of them built further out the city! We can put shopping centers towards Farmville.

Last edited by Slay The Great; 12-22-2017 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2017, 12:56 AM
 
378 posts, read 253,712 times
Reputation: 73
So I'm a 15 year old, autistic, high school sophomore. I ride a school bus to school and home send I get services from the Autism Society. I talk about this highway, mixed-use development and highway crap, because I'm autistic and I will continue posting when I get a respond from the message I posted. It might be a good time for me to leave City-Data because I'm too young to talk about all of this yet. I might keep the development and highways in my head. I wanted to talk about making Greenville a better city, but I think my plans failed overall. I'm a person without friends, socializes with random strangers in order to make my life better. I slay may quit CD for good (unless you want me to stay and update you guys on development crap) I think I'm too young to be on here. I need to focus on education before I can try coming here again I guess. So bye! -Slay the great ;(
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2017, 03:22 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,604 posts, read 4,424,062 times
Reputation: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slay The Great View Post
So I'm a 15 year old, autistic, high school sophomore. I ride a school bus to school and home send I get services from the Autism Society. I talk about this highway, mixed-use development and highway crap, because I'm autistic and I will continue posting when I get a respond from the message I posted. It might be a good time for me to leave City-Data because I'm too young to talk about all of this yet. I might keep the development and highways in my head. I wanted to talk about making Greenville a better city, but I think my plans failed overall. I'm a person without friends, socializes with random strangers in order to make my life better. I slay may quit CD for good (unless you want me to stay and update you guys on development crap) I think I'm too young to be on here. I need to focus on education before I can try coming here again I guess. So bye! -Slay the great ;(
I often come and look at development threads throughout the state and look at Greenville from time to time. I enjoy your posts and they are welcomed no matter what your age is. Coming from a city also named after General Nathaniel Greene, I think Greenville has the chance to become a major economic engine for eastern NC along with Wilmington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-23-2017, 04:36 PM
 
378 posts, read 253,712 times
Reputation: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I often come and look at development threads throughout the state and look at Greenville from time to time. I enjoy your posts and they are welcomed no matter what your age is. Coming from a city also named after General Nathaniel Greene, I think Greenville has the chance to become a major economic engine for eastern NC along with Wilmington.
Thank you! I think I will stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top